Not a folding knife guy but am getting pulled in.

A recurring theme on this forum is someone remarking that they have found “the” folding knife for their needs. That may remain true for some time, but the ever-increasing variety of styles, quality of materials, and manufacturing standards will likely shake things up for even the most dedicated knife owner.

All I’m saying is that you probably don’t want to make any broad declarations about knife fidelity until you’re more experienced in the vast world of folding knives. There’s simply too much variety and too many preferences to consider to be certain after examining just a couple of the more well-known budget folders.

here is a great option to pull you along the rabbit hole, get a buck vantage in s35vn for about $80

great steel, great heat treatment, it will make your d2 cutjack girl cry with envy ; )
0342RDSSH.1__24353.1541264932.1280.1280.jpg

A recurring theme on this forum is someone remarking that they have found “the” folding knife for their needs. That may remain true for some time, but the ever-increasing variety of styles, quality of materials, and manufacturing standards will likely shake things up for even the most dedicated knife owner.

All I’m saying is that you probably don’t want to make any broad declarations about knife fidelity until you’re more experienced in the vast world of folding knives. There’s simply too much variety and too many preferences to consider to be certain after examining just a couple of the more well-known budget folders.
This be true. As a hobby, most of us are always looking at something else. I doubt most of use believe we will find "the" folding knife. But it's possible and certainly you can find folders that you really like to use and probably for a long time. So called budget folders are a lot of fun and interesting.

I still have not made the Cold Steel jump. I was a big SOG guy 10 years ago, and always felt Cold Steel was in the same genre. But Cold Steel has done some things that SOG should have as far as I'm concerned.

This be true. As a hobby, most of us are always looking at something else. I doubt most of use believe we will find "the" folding knife. But it's possible and certainly you can find folders that you really like to use and probably for a long time. So called budget folders are a lot of fun and interesting.

I still have not made the Cold Steel jump. I was a big SOG guy 10 years ago, and always felt Cold Steel was in the same genre. But Cold Steel has done some things that SOG should have as far as I'm concerned.

Cold Steel’s marketing (and some of their products) can be pretty ridiculous, but I see that as their attempts to market to those with very little knowledge about knives in general.

And you know what? It works. My first “real” (not Ozark Trail) knife was a Counter Point II, and I selected it because it looked like a weapon. That knife ended up being my gateway into quality knives and lurking on this forum, resulting in my purchase of a Manix2 XL within 6 months and a ZT within the same 12 months, breaking the $200 price barrier for the first time... which is quite a shift from me thinking a $40 knife was prohibitively expensive.

Luckily for basically everyone - knife nerds and mall ninjas alike - the proof is in the pudding. Their products are well-made and utilize excellent materials while still maintaining a perfectly acceptable price (for the majority of their models).

If you want a practical, excellently-made, well-priced, nearly-indestructible knife, Cold Steel makes -something- that will fit the need. American Lawman, Code 4, Voyager, Recon 1, Tuff Lite... all excellent and practical knives, and independent testing has shown they know what they are doing with their heat treatments.

They’re probably my second favorite knife company overall, behind Spyderco and ahead of ZT, when considering all aspects of their business model.

Back