Not a multi tool knife or is it?

Hi everybody. Thanks for letting me join the forum. I own a lot of different knives and multitool knifes (Swiss army knives). I was a scout when I grew up, so I quickly learned I needed a good multitool knife :).

But now to the point. Yesterday I found something I have never seen before. I have been trying for the last 5 hours to figure this one out. Its bugging me that I am coming up short :)

What I found, is a tool kit of some kind from Rich A Herder Solingen in Germany. I have also found lots of knives, Swiss Army Multi tools and bajonets from the same company.
I wonder if this is actually a promotion kit for that. Especially because it looks like it has never been used.

The other logo on the other tool, says: Suh WK DRG. From what I have been able to figure out, that logo is Freiderich Herder also from Solingen. The anker dates to 1914-1918 from what I can tell.

From what I have also been able to gather, it looks like the logo in the Rich A Herder dates from 1897-1916 + 1937-1940.

So I think this dates to 1914-1916. But I am hoping somebody will be able to tell me more about this.

This is all I have found out:
Richard Abraham Herder, another branch of the great Herder family was formed to manufacture cutlery and tools.
Was in business sice 1884, registered 19th November 1884, Solingen, Rathausstrasse 20-22.
Since 1885 - R. Herder
Since 1916 - Richard Abr Herder
Since 1936 - Richard Abr Herder AG.

"Richard Abr. Herder AG, Stahlwarenfabrik, Solingen.
The Herder Company was founded in 1884 and the family owned the company until it was sold in 1972. The company was one of the most well-known cutlery companies and over the years they produced a variety of knives, razors, scissors, tools, and hammers. They also produced Leverlocks most of which are stamped: ‘Rich. A. Herder Solingen’, ‘Rich. A. Herder Solingen Rostenit’, and ‘Rich. A. Herder Solingen Rostfrei’."

"Herder knives are, and have been, very popular in the Netherlands. The oldest of the Herders, J�rgen Herder, made swords in 1623, and from 1650 onwards also knives for general use to be sold mainly in the Netherlands, and from there to the East Indies etc. A couple of well known names (in order of "commonness", in the Netherlands, IMO): Friedr. Herder Abr. Sohn (ace of spades), Rich. A. Herder (ace of diamonds), H. Herder (ace of spades in a box), Herder & Sohn (diogenes), Robert Herder (windmill). All make traditional German work and/or kitchen knives. Friedrich and Richard (at least) also make slipjoints. I've seen all these brands recently, either in a shop or on the internet. I don't know how many still have their own factory though"

That that is beautiful tool set, Is there a handle included?

I really like it as well. And no, what you see is what came with it. I wish the handle was with it. I cant even find a catalog or add showing what the handle should look like.
In fact, I cant even find anything about this at all :) Only something similar or a knife or army knife from the same company.

Welcom to the forums, Michael. Quite a nice tool set. A very nice find. :thumbsup:

Given the age we seem to be talking about on the set, you might have better luck finding info by posting about it in the Bernard Levine's subforum as well. That's where the members more knowledgeable about the older and more obscure side of cutlery tend to congregate most.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say about these. :)

I once saw another German tool kit like this, I can't remember if it was Herder or not. But the way the handle worked was it had a spring loaded side lever, looked not unlike a lever opening switchblade. You pushed down on the lever, inserted a blade, lever, then dropped it back down after the blade was seated. The lever had a pin on it that served as a tang pin.

I once saw another German tool kit like this, I can't remember if it was Herder or not. But the way the handle worked was it had a spring loaded side lever, looked not unlike a lever opening switchblade. You pushed down on the lever, inserted a blade, lever, then dropped it back down after the blade was seated. The lever had a pin on it that served as a tang pin.

You are talking about these, right?

http://thebladeblog-ulf.blogspot.com/2015/02/german-leverlocks.html

Herder did have 1 version of that. I think you are on the right track as for what is missing.

Back