Not enough love for the Gayle Bradley 2

My one and only EDC is a GB1 but if I didn't already own it I would chose a GB 2 for my EDC. Both are very well made knifes, IMHO.

QNPoXO0.jpg

Reactions: AF
I swapped out my Maxamet Native for the GB2 this week.
The Maxamet is a freakishly good steel, but the GB2 performs beautifully.
I have a GB1 as well but I'm wary of losing it since it's discontinued. The GB1 is a stellar work knife. The GB2 is a great work knife.
Something about that steel with that particular grind just makes me happy.
I fared out a bunch of bumps and high spots on 2x4s recently and wow... that knife just does what I want. I don't have to fight it at all.
Yup, I got the GB love for sure.

Beautiful knife! The only reason I don't carry mine more often is I used a pointy tip a lot, so Mili or PM2 get the call. But I still love the GBs.

Thanks.

I just sold off my last PM2. I really, really love the ergos and blade of every PM2 I've ever had, but without exception have damaged the tips on them (ever so slightly). Most times I don't even know how I did it. It's the only platform ever had that problem with. Drives me nuts! It got to the point that I would be distracted about not damaging the tip when using them. The GB2 is the perfect blend of blade shape and a more robust tip for me.

A few of us were assigned to break down many, many pallets of stapled empty boxes today.
I had the GB2, another guy had a utility knife and the other guy was just breaking them down by hand.
I just cut the corners of all my boxes making them all into big + signs and was just flinging through them. Over the hours the other guys were looking at my pile of boxes that dwarfed theirs and they kept looking at my GB2, then looked at me, then the GB2, then me, etc...
This knife is top shelf, for sure.
I opine that the slight recurve in the GB2 gives it an advantage over the GB1 as far as cardboard cutting goes.
Anyway, after hours of cutting cardboard it would still slice paper and after 10 minutes of stropping it was back to ridiculously sharp.
Got the GB2 love.
Burning love.
K... that might have been a weird thing to say but I'm standing by it.

I’ve never owned a gb2 or even handled one. I did buy one for a buddy for his 40th bday and shipped it right to his house. This was prob 2 years ago.
We live in different cities, so I haven’t been to his house since I got him the knife. Well I was driving through his city and stopped in for the night. I saw the gb2 sitting next to his computer and grabbed it right away. It was a collectors club knife and absolutely perfect.
I’m not going to lie, I wanted to steal it.
I had the little devil on my shoulder.
“ you know he doesn’t appreciate this”
“You paid for it, take it. “
Jokes jokes.
Super impressed tho.
I have the gb1. Think I need a gb2 as well.

I’ve never owned a gb2 or even handled one. I did buy one for a buddy for his 40th bday and shipped it right to his house. This was prob 2 years ago.
We live in different cities, so I haven’t been to his house since I got him the knife. Well I was driving through his city and stopped in for the night. I saw the gb2 sitting next to his computer and grabbed it right away. It was a collectors club knife and absolutely perfect.
I’m not going to lie, I wanted to steal it.
I had the little devil on my shoulder.
“ you know he doesn’t appreciate this”
“You paid for it, take it. “
Jokes jokes.
Super impressed tho.
I have the gb1. Think I need a gb2 as well.
I just laughed out loud. Now my wife is looking at me funny.
But then she always looks at me funny :confused::rolleyes::D

This thread just keeps confirming that I should have snatched up more examples of the GB 1 before discontinuation and more of the GB 2 prior to price hike.

One day I hope we will get to meet the GB 3.

I just laughed out loud. Now my wife is looking at me funny.
But then she always looks at me funny :confused::rolleyes::D
After a few beer, im pretty sure I could pull an assisted Kershaw cryo out of my pocket and trade him straight up.
“Look how this blade flies right out. Cool huh?”
“Yours doesn’t even do that”
“ tell ya what I’m going to do....”

Loved my GB but did not like having to put oil on it all the time nor the lack of access to the lock bar. Other than those two things I consider it beeeuuuutiful.

Going through the motions of getting rid of the grind marks, shooting for an eventual polished blade.
After a few months in storage it looked like this -
dq995Is.jpg

After a half hour or so of cleaning it up without disassembly -
c5IMeet.jpg

After about 1/2 hour with disassembly -
kkvj0D3.jpg

iL4Ovyq.jpg

After about 2 hours -
iC011Jm.jpg

lL0BCXY.jpg

That is all I'm doing for now, but I do intend to make a project out of making this GB2 nice and polished.
I'm using Spyderco ceramic bench stones for the flats and wet/dry sand paper wetted with oil for the hollow grind. So far I've only done 220 wet/dry paper.
I'll keep posting updates as I get nearer my goal if anyone cares to see the project.
Any helpful hints are welcomed.

I didn't store it with the silica pack. Personally, I don't like it when high carbon steel looks new. My antique chisels and misc. cutting tools have heavy patinas.
This CPM M4 is more rust prone than my chisels and such. I'd guess it has a higher carbon content.
Don't know why, but my GB2 just seems to rust easier than my GB1. Can't think of how I've treated them differently for the life of me.

Planning to buy a GB2 soon.

It's one of the few Spyderco's left that I don't already own that I am interested in buying. The GB1 looks "sturdier" than the GB2 and probably would be better for "hard use" but the GB2 has the size/style that I prefer and I don't use many of the knives that I buy anyway.

I had one, but quickly returned it. I could easily shake the blade from the handle. The detent was very weak. I’m used to a stronger detent like that of my PM2’s and Para 3s.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their GB2?

I had one, but quickly returned it. I could easily shake the blade from the handle. The detent was very weak. I’m used to a stronger detent like that of my PM2’s and Para 3s.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their GB2?
Yes, in general the detents are too weak buts it’s never posed a problem for me.
I was hoping that CQI would fix it by now but I guess not.
All of my modern folders can shake open.
All of my modern folders will open if dropped.

Obviously the topic is not important to the manufacturers.

Back