Not enough love for the Gayle Bradley 2

Nice work on the slabs.

Gonebad- If you want any help or tips on the lockbar access, shoot me an email.

Well, I'd grade these about a C-. They look great, but I did something wrong that I cannot get the blade anywhere near centered now. About the best I can do is so that it is not in contact on the presentation side liner.

qL476Dhl.jpg

e7smr9cl.jpg

5EjAp7zl.jpg

l2EPFpRl.jpg

gPU4wXol.jpg

Are there any gurus out there who can offer a suggestion on how to get this centered? Just a couple of the holes are a little off, so to get the screw started in the standoff I have to really torque things sideways to line up the holes. I think this is just twisting things too much. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I like mine quite a bit. Fit, finish and function is among of the best of Spyderco's I've purchased. However, I find I prefer a higher grind similar to the Advocate and GB Bowie (shown). I've also developed a penchant for flippers. Actually I think GB's Advocate might be his best collaboration with Spyderco, if not for the bearing washer issue.

Last edited:
Are there any gurus out there who can offer a suggestion on how to get this centered? Just a couple of the holes are a little off, so to get the screw started in the standoff I have to really torque things sideways to line up the holes. I think this is just twisting things too much. Any ideas would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Hi TRfromMT, My guess is that you may have one of the phosphor bronze washers caught on the pivot. Either that or the pivot is installed backwards. The pivot has one side shaped like a D and the other shaped like an O. Just make sure you have the pivot oriented correctly. Hope this corrects your centering.

JonesE

Hi TRfromMT, My guess is that you may have one of the phosphor bronze washers caught on the pivot. Either that or the pivot is installed backwards. The pivot has one side shaped like a D and the other shaped like an O. Just make sure you have the pivot oriented correctly. Hope this corrects your centering.

JonesE
Thanks, JonesE JonesE

I did make sure to have the pivot oriented correctly (I thought) but I'll double check. I am going to disassemble things and put it back together without the most offending standoff, and make sure the washers are correct. There are also some little studs in between the liners, countersunk into the inside surface of the scale that I am going to temporarily remove. I have to twist the scales to get those installed. Anyway, I am going to try a couple things to see if I can troubleshoot/pinpoint the problem specifically.

I'm a big fan of the GB2. I wanted to like the GB1, but it just didn't fit my hand. No such issues with the GB2. It's next on my list of purchases.

This one belongs to a customer:

IMG_20170603_103244_746_zpsx1qkiayv.jpg

The M4 takes a nice polish and cuts beautifully with that high hollow grind:

IMG_20170603_103919_003_zpsst47gc4l.jpg

Just a thought for your next set of scales. I actually use double sided tape and tape one of the factory scales to the wood blanks when drilling so I get the holes lined up perfectly. Makes for a perfect fit when attaching the scales. I think it is important to try and match the original scale hole depths and steps as closely as possible - I've experienced centring issues as well after customization, but can usually get it adjusted after some playing around.

qL476Dhl.jpg

e7smr9cl.jpg

5EjAp7zl.jpg

l2EPFpRl.jpg

gPU4wXol.jpg

Are there any gurus out there who can offer a suggestion on how to get this centered? Just a couple of the holes are a little off, so to get the screw started in the standoff I have to really torque things sideways to line up the holes. I think this is just twisting things too much. Any ideas would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Thanks J jonnieb27
That's a good idea. I usually use the steel tang on a fixed blade as the drilling template because that's the real pattern I am trying to match. In this case, the holes in the liner are all larger than I am drilling because they are drilled to accept the pivot or standoff. The screw holes in the scales are smaller, and maybe that will help with locating them better.

Working on knives, for me, is as addictive as pursuing the next knife. I'll have to try.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Really put her to the test this morning. Hacked, slashed, batoned and pried out a few cucumbers from the garden.
0kwaVYC.jpg

I am torn between the GB1/2 or a Techno for my next purchase. I know that in all reality I will end up with both, I just can't decide which one to buy now. My current daily carry varies between a Manix 2 and a Domino. Would anyone be willing to put up a side by side of the Manix2, Gb and Techno?

If no one posts a comparison pic by tonight, I will when I get home from work.

On the decision on what to get, That's a hard choice, the GB2 is one of the best deals in the knife world right now for price and materials and f&f, but if your looking for a smaller knife to go with the Manix 2 or Domino, then the Techno is no slouch. The GB2 is going to be about a half inch more blade length then the domino and Manix, and it's also hollow ground, so it's really up to you if you desire something a little bigger or quite a bit smaller.

I am torn between the GB1/2 or a Techno for my next purchase. I know that in all reality I will end up with both, I just can't decide which one to buy now. My current daily carry varies between a Manix 2 and a Domino. Would anyone be willing to put up a side by side of the Manix2, Gb and Techno?

You're killing me here. Had this knife in my wishlist shortly after this thread started. Every time I see a new picture, it gets harder to resist.

This is one of 4 knives I want this year (on top of the ones I already got); two of which I already have on pre-order. I don't know why I torture myself like this. Stop with the pictures! Post some new ones!

Love both I carry GB1 a little more than the GB2 and I don't know why....but it is fun trying to figure it out!

Back