Off Topic Not even a snark-wide pandemic can keep us down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those scales do look incredible.

Koa! :eek:

Well... ok... I forgive you. :D
I don't have one of those myself, either. Work it! Is that the one with the steel type etched on the butt?
One of the brother co-owners (also a cow-owner) of my local outfitters (where I consign) snatched up a nearly identical one in 1084 before it went into the for-sale case. Recently told me he unzipped a deer with it in Maine this fall, and I couldn't have been more proud.
Indeed it is...
qWXvNDZ.jpg

Great ergos and edge geometry! :thumbsup:

I'm approaching the elusive 25,000. If this forum was hopping like in the old days, I'd probably have closer to 50,000. :thumbsup:

I have the same in 154CM. I think Benchmade did a good job with it, tho I'd pick CPM154 over the non-powdered version given the option. Some of my favorite knives are 154CM (that one and my own too), tho it's not my favorite stainless these days.
Honestly I prefer stuff like 12c27 or 1095 that I can sharpen quickly on an Arkansas stone and leather the survivalist in me wants steels I can sharpen on a rock in an emergency . I haven't found anything I can't sharpen but don't like to get out the diamond stone to quickly sharpen a EDC knife

Honestly I prefer stuff like 12c27 or 1095 that I can sharpen quickly on an Arkansas stone and leather the survivalist in me wants steels I can sharpen on a rock in an emergency . I haven't found anything I can't sharpen but don't like to get out the diamond stone to quickly sharpen a EDC knife

I agree to a point... For a survival blade, yes. I want to be able to quickly sharpen it, but it maintain a half decent edge. 1095 is great in this regard. I've sharpened 1095 on the back of a coffee cup before lol

For an EDC folder... I want it to stay sharp as long as physically possible, whether or not that increases how difficult it is to resharpen is inconsequential to me... Especially if I only have to sharpen it once a year. If it's too much of a pain I'll send it to someone and pay them to put an amazing edge on it for me every 6 months or so.

On a folder I've never had anything beyond S35VN.

That's kinda why I'm drawn to the S90, M4, 20cv steels right now... Want something a little more "fancy"

It's been years since I've researched steels. Not trying to go down that rabbit hole again LOL.. there was a time I was only getting an hour of sleep a day, posting 50 post an hour on here, and researching steel until I was blue in the face...

I don't understand... you don't have diamond stones everywhere?
Why aren't they always out?? :p

Also a big fan of 1084 and AEB-L here for toughness and ridiculous edge keenness. They dress really well on non-diamond stuff. I strop *everything* on $3 multi-grit soft-core nail buffers from CVS. (the kind that go up to the 'polish' or 'shine' grit) Easy to stash anywhere.

I agree to a point... For a survival blade, yes. I want to be able to quickly sharpen it, but it maintain a half decent edge. 1095 is great in this regard. I've sharpened 1095 on the back of a coffee cup before lol

For an EDC folder... I want it to stay sharp as long as physically possible, whether or not that increases how difficult it is to resharpen is inconsequential to me... Especially if I only have to sharpen it once a year. If it's too much of a pain I'll send it to someone and pay them to put an amazing edge on it for me every 6 months or so.

That's kinda why I'm drawn to the S90, M4, 20cv steels right now... Want something a little more "fancy"

It's been years since I've researched steels. Not trying to go down that rabbit hole again LOL.. there was a time I was only getting an hour of sleep a day, posting 50 post an hour on here, and researching steel until I was blue in the face...

I remember those days. How ya doin', Woody?? :)

For so many of those steels... another 1-2Rc hardness would get what you want, and bring up the ho-hum steels too. It's possible to chase alloys to the end of this flat Earth (that's a joke, y'all know I spent 6 years working on NOAA grants) just to balance carbide content and toughness. If you're not prying and chopping nails with your EDC, a couple extra hardness points goes a long way in edge-holding.

I see both viewpoints though I mainly agree with this. I respect 1095 and consider it to be very good but I like trying the newer steels. I noticed a remarkable difference when I used my Carothers in delta 3V. Also, I no longer carry an Arkansas stone after I used diamonds to fix the edge on my BK9. Diamonds made it a breeze. Besides, DMT diafolds are as easy to carry as an other stone.

I am familiar with the rabbit hole too. One of the BDay presents I gifted myself came in today, at the bottom...
xisQlUq.jpg

Itโ€™s not perfect, but I like it better than the Sebenza.

I don't understand... you don't have diamond stones everywhere?
Why aren't they always out?? :p

Also a big fan of 1084 and AEB-L here for toughness and ridiculous edge keenness. They dress really well on non-diamond stuff. I strop *everything* on $3 multi-grit soft-core nail buffers from CVS. (the kind that go up to the 'polish' or 'shine' grit) Easy to stash anywhere.
I have a whole box of stones including diamond . There is a wooden paddle board that lays buy my chair that has an Arkansas stone glued to one side and leather on the other . That is my primary sharpener and a 4x1 arkansas stone in my EDC bag . Diamond stones are to put the angle I want on a blade

I remember those days. How ya doin', Woody?? :)

For so many of those steels... another 1-2Rc hardness would get what you want, and bring up the ho-hum steels too. It's possible to chase alloys to the end of this flat Earth (that's a joke, y'all know I spent 6 years working on NOAA grants) just to balance carbide content and toughness. If you're not prying and chopping nails with your EDC, a couple extra hardness points goes a long way in edge-holding.

Good brother how about yourself? Still waiting on my Moose mountain with a choiled blade :D

And I fully agree about upping the hardness a little on lighter duty knives. Most manufacturers are likely just worried people won't understand why their blade is chipping/breaking when they throw it at a brick wall... I mean their 4140 hawk at 55hrc handles that abuse well... Why can't their 62hrc folder blade handle it? :D

I see both viewpoints though I mainly agree with this. I respect 1095 and consider it to be very good but I like trying the newer steels. I noticed a remarkable difference when I used my Carothers in delta 3V. Also, I no longer carry an Arkansas stone after I used diamonds to fix the edge on my BK9. Diamonds made it a breeze. Besides, DMT diafolds are as easy to carry as an other stone.

I am familiar with the rabbit hole too. One of the BDay presents I gifted myself came in today, at the bottom...
xisQlUq.jpg

Itโ€™s not perfect, but I like it better than the Sebenza.
Hey, wait a minute. I thought the bottom one was the new Becker folder. :D

Good brother how about yourself? Still waiting on my Moose mountain with a choiled blade :D

And I fully agree about upping the hardness a little on lighter duty knives. Most manufacturers are likely just worried people won't understand why their blade is chipping/breaking when they throw it at a brick wall... I mean their 4140 hawk at 55hrc handles that abuse well... Why can't their 62hrc folder blade handle it? :D

Dang, I'd hoped you'd forgotten! :rolleyes:
First MM5 in awhile in 1084 went out to a shipmate last year.
How's that birudashi holding up?

Now if their 62Rc folders were AEB-L.... ok, even I would do that to a folder. Maybe 61.

I have a hard time getting out of the survivalist mentality. It is just who I am. I am one of those people who everyone else thinks is over prepared until they need something. I am fairly proficient at making deadfalls and snares . Most pictures of deadfalls in survival books are not right by the way . Always thinking what if. Just how I'm made

Dang, I'd hoped you'd forgotten! :rolleyes:
First MM5 in awhile in 1084 went out to a shipmate last year.
How's that birudashi holding up?

Now if their 62Rc folders were AEB-L.... ok, even I would do that to a folder. Maybe 61.

Im like an elephant, i never forget... Wait... What are we talking about again?

The birudashi is doing well, it could likely use a new edge on it... It's been put through hell over the years... When it's dull I just hit a diamond plate card a few times until the edge feels sharp enough. But half the time when I do that I'm about drunk, so the angle varies LOL

Hell I don't even remember which steel was used on mine... It's been a WHILE. Always wanted a double sided one too.

YypKpTi.jpg

Im like an elephant, i never forget... Wait... What are we talking about again?

The birudashi is doing well, it could likely use a new edge on it... It's been put through hell over the years... When it's dull I just hit a diamond plate card a few times until the edge feels sharp enough. But half the time when I do that I'm about drunk, so the angle varies LOL

Hell I don't even remember which steel was used on mine... It's been a WHILE. Always wanted a double sided one too.

Sweet pic w/ the Jesse love!
I did remember you wanted a double-sided one, actually. I so hate grinding them, but figured if it looked like that was gonna happen, you'd be my first call. :) IIRC, that's CPM-154. Should be marked on the spine or belly. Came from the same piece/set that also went out to Gus and CBear. Ferget who ended up with the 4th from that batch.

Sweet pic w/ the Jesse love!
I did remember you wanted a double-sided one, actually. I so hate grinding them, but figured if it looked like that was gonna happen, you'd be my first call. :) IIRC, that's CPM-154. Should be marked on the spine or belly. Came from the same piece/set that also went out to Gus and CBear. Ferget who ended up with the 4th from that batch.

Yup, thats right, it is 154. I remember now, But no markings on it at all.

And now, years later, you have to feel obligated to make a double sided one... Im going to continue waiting, breath held- :D

I bought one of those sandrin tungsten knives recently. Figured a small fixed blade that wont be needing to be sharpened in this decade would be nice. The handle on the โ€œ4inchโ€ is pretty miserable. It wont be used in this decade if the handle doesnt get shaped into something that isnt a rectangle block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back