Off Topic Not even a snark-wide pandemic can keep us down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmmm, birudashi. I've lost mine a number of times. It's been in a tote with most of my other knives since we bought our house in November 2019. Mine is double sided and I believe 1084? Also, now that I think of it, I believe I'm waiting on a 100% hiker. ;)

I've been through a lot of folders. A Vic Farmer is always in my pocket. I believe I have 4 of them that I rotate through as I lose and find them. My main folder has been an s90v Spyderco Native for probably 4? years. I went through a ton of folders until that one finally stuck. I'll switch out to something else just for a change, but the Native always ends up back in my pocket after a week or so.

6 hours on the ice, -16°C, plus 15kph winds...

For one lousy snot rocket. Man I suck at fishing lol.

Damn slimy b*****ds! Better than getting skunked anyways! I'll keep one to eat once in a while, but they sure do suck to clean. I've been out 3 or 4 times this winter and have done well for the most part. Got to have a fresh walleye dinner 3 weekends ago, so that was nice. Hammered some nice bluegills last weekend.

Wow, WW, yeah. Yours was made in April 2014. I started marking all my blades about 16 months later.

AC, be careful what you wish for! :D
Yes, your birudashi is totally 1084. I don't recall the grind, but prooobably single-side w/ edge on the back.
Believe it or not, you're still on the list (the list is real). Last 100% series-1 hiker I finished was for Tradewater in 2017.

6 hours on the ice, -16°C, plus 15kph winds...
Geezus, Aiki. I get my fish out of the freezer too, but... uh... dunno how to tell you this...

I bought one of those sandrin tungsten knives recently. Figured a small fixed blade that wont be needing to be sharpened in this decade would be nice. The handle on the “4inch” is pretty miserable. It wont be used in this decade if the handle doesnt get shaped into something that isnt a rectangle block.
I was looking at one recently. It has an ugly red skeleton looking handle. I still don’t know what to make of it. lol

I was looking at one recently. It has an ugly red skeleton looking handle. I still don’t know what to make of it. lol

I almost bought that one. It was the way the lock release sticks up that dissuaded me. It got me on their website and i ended up looking at their kitchen knives. If anyone looks at them, i wouldnt put too much faith in there posted sizes. The 4inch said the blade is 5” and is in between a steak knife and paring knife. Its actually 3.5”.

AC, be careful what you wish for! :D
Yes, your birudashi is totally 1084. I don't recall the grind, but prooobably single-side w/ edge on the back.
Believe it or not, you're still on the list (the list is real). Last 100% series-1 hiker I finished was for Tradewater in 2017.
I'm ready for it whenever you make it to it! I'll have to pull the birudashi out, but I seem to remember it being scandi ground. I could totally be having a brain fart though too.

I almost bought that one. It was the way the lock release sticks up that dissuaded me. It got me on their website and i ended up looking at their kitchen knives. If anyone looks at them, i wouldnt put too much faith in there posted sizes. The 4inch said the blade is 5” and is in between a steak knife and paring knife. Its actually 3.5”.
What’s your take on the blade?

Awesome! Can’t wait to get mine and to return to normalcy!

Even though we'll get our workforce covered pretty fast at this point, we're still gonna be 'abnormal' for awhile. But it IS the beginning!

When I was in the army we got a mix for Tetanos, Malaria, Typhus in one injection. Next morning no one could put on his T shirt. 400 soldiers: it took one hour to do the job.
Now I am older, it got a flue shot (first time In my life)
I am considering to get a Corona vaccin not for me but for my family

Tr
Damn slimy b*****ds! Better than getting skunked anyways! I'll keep one to eat once in a while, but they sure do suck to clean. I've been out 3 or 4 times this winter and have done well for the most part. Got to have a fresh walleye dinner 3 weekends ago, so that was nice. Hammered some nice bluegills last weekend.

Try pickling them (pike chunks) in vinegar and onions. The flesh stays firm. Not fishy at all, and the bones dissolve

What’s your take on the blade?

Initially, i thought the grinds were off, but it was just my eyes. The blade stock is a flat piece of tungsten with a bevel and microbevel. Blade sharpness is another thing i was slightly disappointed with on my first slice but since then ive come to find it to be very sharp. The tip is rounded which seemed odd, but its understood with the nature of the material. A sharp point would too easily sink into something and break and i dont think it hurts the use of it being rounded. I dont need to stab anything i can think of. The knife is slicey enough that im very cautious about having it out when my daughter is in the room. Something else is the etches, im not a fan and it would be nice if removal was possible which i doubt is.

I havent used it much since im working on filing the handle for the ergos. Im excited about using it more though. Ive liked using it so far. Its a mean little slicer. Ive just got to focus on getting the handle right which is going to take some time due to priorities.

Initially, i thought the grinds were off, but it was just my eyes. The blade stock is a flat piece of tungsten with a bevel and microbevel. Blade sharpness is another thing i was slightly disappointed with on my first slice but since then ive come to find it to be very sharp. The tip is rounded which seemed odd, but its understood with the nature of the material. A sharp point would too easily sink into something and break and i dont think it hurts the use of it being rounded. I dont need to stab anything i can think of. The knife is slicey enough that im very cautious about having it out when my daughter is in the room. Something else is the etches, im not a fan and it would be nice if removal was possible which i doubt is.

I havent used it much since im working on filing the handle for the ergos. Im excited about using it more though. Ive liked using it so far. Its a mean little slicer. Ive just got to focus on getting the handle right which is going to take some time due to priorities.
Thorough review. Thank you for sharing! It sounds like a very interesting blade. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back