Off Topic Not even a snark-wide pandemic can keep us down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few smokers. A side smoke box unit, indirect smoker, non electric, that I used to use all the time. A few years ago for Christmas, the wife got me a direct smoker, electric, that has been sitting in the shed ever since, and haven't used it one time. I know, I know...sad.

Sorry about the odd color, but the area where my text shows up is black for some reason, so I had to change the color, so I could read what I'm typing.

Anyways, I just fired up my pellet grill to make some burgers. I'm gonna let them smoke for an hour and then crank up the heat to get a bit of a sear on them. They turned out pretty good last time I did this.

I picked up a Pit Boss last fall and have been experimenting with it a lot. I've done ribs 3 or 4 times and then some other random grilling. I'm working my way up to a brisket hopefully soon. We got a 1/4 beef last fall and ended up with 2 briskets and I want to make sure I do them justice.

I just took the bologna out of the smoker you just need to melt the majority of the fat out of it and inpart the smoke. It has been a while since I have had any of it . The electric smoker seems to make a milder smoke flavor over charcoal it is good . I am going to leave the pork shoulder in a couple more hours then check the temperature .

I typed the above and got busy. I'm back three hours later the pork shoulder roast is great I like this electric smoker. It cools down so you can get it covered . It stays at the temperature you want. Easy to control that amount of smoke flavor you want . I can see a chicken next I am setting outside enjoying a hard cider :)

I think I need to graduate to a proper smoker. I've been using a 22" Weber kettle I found on the curb for a little more than a year. My most ambitious attempt on it was this pat year's thanksgiving turkey. It took a little longer than I had planned for, but it was awesome.

I think I need to graduate to a proper smoker. I've been using a 22" Weber kettle I found on the curb for a little more than a year. My most ambitious attempt on it was this pat year's thanksgiving turkey. It took a little longer than I had planned for, but it was awesome.

Idk IF there is graduating up to a "proper" smoker, depending on what weber?
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain vertical/bullet style smoker, and it's one of the best things I ever bought.
years ago... I was about to drop a few thousand into a custom made smoker (i still have opinions of what works and what doesn't)....
but I figured i should learn about smoking first..... Big mistake.

The WSM works So Amazing that i couldn't justify spending real money on an outfit that wouldn't work as good.

I highly recommend them as smokers to everyone that i meet. I could talk for hours about smoking! I get real excited over it.
haha

I was wrapping up community college after studying welding, and homework during the academic classes was boring me senseless. So, I scratch built a smoker. Most nights, I should have been doing homework, but, you know! o_O So, I finished that one at least ten years ago. This year my propane assist burner finally started getting clogged so that the burners are not giving me a hot, neutral flame. I'll have to blow out the jet I adapted and see if it burns good again.
The propane assist is nice because I don't have to tend a wood fire the whole time. But, there is a danger of gas accumulation, however slim, that can lead to dangerous re-ignition episodes. o_O
Been horribly swamped busy as of late, at some point I must get it going again.

Had I not been given this smoker I had plans to buy the side charcoal pans for my Weber and smoke with it .

Smoking is an art form, thatโ€™s foโ€™ sure.

I used to just use tin roof nailed to a wooden frame. Iโ€™d attach wire intermittently to hang meat strips. Iโ€™d use a metal frame and plasma cut large water heater for the fire, then place the tin roof frame over the fire pit. Iโ€™d cut a little door and use hinges to be able to feed green wood/leaves on the hard wood coal fire. Mango worked pretty good. Lots of punky smoke. Especially delicious with pork.

Idk IF there is graduating up to a "proper" smoker, depending on what weber?
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain vertical/bullet style smoker, and it's one of the best things I ever bought.
years ago... I was about to drop a few thousand into a custom made smoker (i still have opinions of what works and what doesn't)....
but I figured i should learn about smoking first..... Big mistake.

The WSM works So Amazing that i couldn't justify spending real money on an outfit that wouldn't work as good.

I highly recommend them as smokers to everyone that i meet. I could talk for hours about smoking! I get real excited over it.
haha
The Smokey Mountain is exactly what I want.
The regular kettle grill isn't the best, but it works fine for now. Especially considering it was free on the side of the road. It looked like it had fell over or something fell on it and was bent out of round. I straightened the lip on the lid and worked the body of the grill a bit. It popped back in shape easy enough. I've been using it as an opportunity to learn different techniques with charcoal.

The Smokey Mountain is exactly what I want.
The regular kettle grill isn't the best, but it works fine for now. Especially considering it was free on the side of the road. It looked like it had fell over or something fell on it and was bent out of round. I straightened the lip on the lid and worked the body of the grill a bit. It popped back in shape easy enough. I've been using it as an opportunity to learn different techniques with charcoal.

I have the normal size WSM, i think it's 18" diameter, i'd have to look?

a couple years later, I believe that they came out with a larger version. Mine, I can smoke (4) large pork butts at once, and hold those temps for a long time..... i think 19 hours, with only one fill up in between. It is really so easy, and wonderful at maintaining a consistent temp..... They are the Becker equivalent in the smoker world with a huge fanbase and websites..... Cult status even.

I stopped eating red meat for the time being, but smoking meats was a real Passion of mine for a number of years, and I still love thinking, and talking about it.

I have the normal size WSM, i think it's 18" diameter, i'd have to look?

a couple years later, I believe that they came out with a larger version. Mine, I can smoke (4) large pork butts at once, and hold those temps for a long time..... i think 19 hours, with only one fill up in between. It is really so easy, and wonderful at maintaining a consistent temp..... They are the Becker equivalent in the smoker world with a huge fanbase and websites..... Cult status even.

I stopped eating red meat for the time being, but smoking meats was a real Passion of mine for a number of years, and I still love thinking, and talking about it.

smoked fish is pretty tasty.

Raptor vs Drone, coming to a sports arena near you!
HDte0vj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back