Not happy with Buck Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Buck Rush 290, bought new years ago, springs broke with minimal use and I just put it up for a long time. Last year, sent it in to get repaired, they repaired it and sharpened it up, great, no problem.

Well I was taking it apart recently to remove the annoying safety, and during re-assembly I think I may have bent a little retaining nub on the spring that is made to fit into a small cutout in the liner. Ok, my fault, I get it.

Called customer service hoping they would send out a couple springs, to my surprise, NOPE. I have to mail it back in to have one spring installed? REALLY? I can't pay to have a stupid spring mailed to me? No aftermarket options either.

I'm going to try to fix the spring I have and if not, I'm just going to get rid of this turd of a knife.

I broke a blade and would like to replace the part myself, can you send me the part I need or can I get it from a Buck retailer?

For liability reasons, we do not sell or send individual blades, parts, or anything that would require disassembly of the product, through the mail. Our products are designed to be disassembled by our factory-trained personnel only. Attempting to disassemble your Buck product yourself could result in lost components, compromise the knife's functionality, and void the warranty.

I broke a blade and would like to replace the part myself, can you send me the part I need or can I get it from a Buck retailer?

For liability reasons, we do not sell or send individual blades, parts, or anything that would require disassembly of the product, through the mail. Our products are designed to be disassembled by our factory-trained personnel only. Attempting to disassemble your Buck product yourself could result in lost components, compromise the knife's functionality, and void the warranty.

Buck Knives can replace a blade not covered under warranty for a $10.00 fee per knife.
from jmgruber jmgruber 's link

I have a Buck Rush 290, bought new years ago, springs broke with minimal use and I just put it up for a long time. Last year, sent it in to get repaired, they repaired it and sharpened it up, great, no problem.

Well I was taking it apart recently to remove the annoying safety, and during re-assembly I think I may have bent a little retaining nub on the spring that is made to fit into a small cutout in the liner. Ok, my fault, I get it.

Called customer service hoping they would send out a couple springs, to my surprise, NOPE. I have to mail it back in to have one spring installed? REALLY? I can't pay to have a stupid spring mailed to me? No aftermarket options either.

I'm going to try to fix the spring I have and if not, I'm just going to get rid of this turd of a knife.
Ha Ha, another case employee trying to stir the turd on the Buck forum, not going to work.....keep all your production in China.....

Ha Ha, another case employee trying to stir the turd on the Buck forum, not going to work.....keep all your production in China.....

What? That "policy" is just plain dumb.

Are they going to remove the safety if I request it when I send it in this time? Or will I get "for liability reasons, we cannot alter the safety for your protection"?

I honestly don't get the point of this. You damaged your knife doing something clumsy, Buck will fix it for free, but you don't want that. You want them to send you parts so you can continue to do clumsy stuff.

I don't know anything about the knife in question, but I imagine that removing a safety would make any manufacturer squeamish. Why not just send the thing back and get it fixed? You can always buy another knife that will come open when it shouldn't. That part seems to be easy these days.

I honestly don't get the point of this. You damaged your knife doing something clumsy, Buck will fix it for free, but you don't want that. You want them to send you parts so you can continue to do clumsy stuff.

I don't know anything about the knife in question, but I imagine that removing a safety would make any manufacturer squeamish. Why not just send the thing back and get it fixed? You can always buy another knife that will come open when it shouldn't. That part seems to be easy these days.

Because the point of dissembling it was to remove the safety, is Buck going to do that for me? Nothing clumsy about it, it's just a really bad design.

And I want them to SELL me the parts so I can do what I please with my property.

You don't have to get worried about this knife injuring you if it accidentally opens, it opens like a wet noodle even when it is clean with new springs. Get a little pocket lint on it and you are lucky if it opens at all.

Because the point of dissembling it was to remove the safety, is Buck going to do that for me? Nothing clumsy about it, it's just a really bad design.

And I want them to SELL me the parts so I can do what I please with my property.
Maybe it's a lack of education...we get it, you work for case....but I believe you can do what you want with your property without Buck selling you additional parts.....

You don't have to get worried about this knife injuring you if it accidentally opens, it opens like a wet noodle even when it is clean with new springs. Get a little pocket lint on it and you are lucky if it opens at all.
Buy 3 more, open them, tape them all together with duct tape and you have an American made chineese star:D

Wow, is this what they mean about fanboys?

Ya'll are loyal, I'll give you that. I own dozens of Buck knives, love them all, but this one is crap on a stick.

You disassembled a knife, and it didn't work properly after you got done fixing it. That's clumsy.

I don't care anything about what you've done to your knife. Buck is a big outfit, they certainly don't need the likes of me to defend their business practices. My opinion, take it or leave it, is that you're being ridiculous about a simple problem. A problem, by the way, that you caused.

Enjoy your little snit, it's obvious that that is the only reason for this thread, and I'm sorry I got suckered into another one of these.

You disassembled a knife, and it didn't work properly after you got done fixing it. That's clumsy.

I don't care anything about what you've done to your knife. Buck is a big outfit, they certainly don't need the likes of me to defend their business practices. My opinion, take it or leave it, is that you're being ridiculous about a simple problem. A problem, by the way, that you caused.

Enjoy your little snit, it's obvious that that is the only reason for this thread, and I'm sorry I got suckered into another one of these.

Ok, so their customer service was fine, right on policy and warranty lines, TO THE LETTER. No problem.

I'll just sell it and suggest that everyone avoid the Rush 290 (older version at least), it's pretty much useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back