Not kill your self in the woods!

Hey Guys,

With some recent threads, I thought it would be nice to tell everyone what the things are that you can do to keep your self safe, from a Search's point of view, things I would like EVERYONE to do. This is a list persay, of the do's and don'ts of setting up for a hike in the woods.

First up:
Before leaving your house, before packing(like you don't have a pack packed:D) before the boots are on. Sit down with a significant other, wether a family or friend and Show them the places you are going, now you dont have to leave a perfect reproduction, but it would be nice. At least, leave a starting reference, and your ending location, wether with GPS coordinance, or leave a map behind that shows your planned route.

Next:
For god sakes, if you haven't checked the weather, which you should have done, then do it now, find out what its going to be like. If there is a storm coming, and your area is nitoruos for bad storms, just postpone the trip, is it worth your life?

Third:
last thing to do before you leave the house is make sure you have everything. A way to:
Start fires,
Signal Rescuers if the need arises,
Navagate your route, And DON'T rely on the GPS know how to use a compass,
Set-up and emergency shelter,
Purify water,
Apply first aid, and take a course it WILL save a life someday,
Cook your food,

Also, Proper clothing, boots, gear for the time gone, enough food, water and mediction. If you go out on just a day hike, take extra water and med's, make sure you have your meters, epi pens and what ever else you need. And dont forget, epi pens are not the only thing needed in an alergic respons, you still NEED to get to a hospital, don't continue on with the trip.

Fourth thing:
If traveling alone, leave a note on the vehicle of your route, or a start and finish, let them know if you plan on taking the hard route, or easy one. You don't have to make a map, but it would be nice.:D
If you don't want to leave that info on your truck because your worried about some nut coming out and finding you because its a dope growing area, then I would be more worried about the vehicle, and even more worried about the area, maybe you should go somewhere else...

Lastly, before you head into the woods, take a quick look at what you have, make sure nothing is left in the truck/car. Then, stop and think to your self, are YOU prepard for this trip, do YOU have the Training, the skill's the ability to complete the trip %100.
The thing is, if YOU don't, then you are going to be putting live's of searchers's at risk. You will be putting their family and friends in eternal turmoil, do you want to be responsible for that?

Just stay home.

That way nobody will accuse you of being under-prepared and you will not get hurt in the woods.

Just stay home.

That way nobody will accuse you of being under-prepared and you will not get hurt in the woods.

Perhaps it would be best if none of us got out of bed in the morning.

Oh wait, bed sores can be embarrassing too...

Good stuff Fonly.

The trip report is perhaps the least used/performed activity and also the most recommended by pretty much every outdoor activity training program - from boats to hiking. Your reminder is a good one. This can mean the difference between many days of searching and a single one for rescue teams.

As an added, you can slip in a prospective trip report with your camp registration package if you are registering by self-drop off kiosks in a park.

I also have in my pack a copy of my drivers licence and a copy of my medical card, along with a small emergency numbers contact list laminated into cards, just in case someone finds me dead or really injured they can know who I am and where to ship my body.
I have a pack check list before I leave. I pack acording to the list and check things off as I put them in. this way I know I have everything.

I think one of the most important points is to always have a few items with you which would help in a survival situation.Most situations happen as a surprise and a few small items like a Bic lighter,knife,flashlight and compass would have made all the difference.

I also have in my pack a copy of my drivers licence and a copy of my medical card, along with a small emergency numbers contact list laminated into cards, just in case someone finds me dead or really injured they can know who I am and where to ship my body.
I have a pack check list before I leave. I pack acording to the list and check things off as I put them in. this way I know I have everything.

I habitually wear a FixxID, even around town. I started doing this when I found out that emergency crews will only look for ID on your body -- they won't look in bags or nearby containers, and so carrying ID in my bicycle's saddlebag simply isn't good enough.

I don't bother with a medical card because I don't have any medical conditions that one would list (diabetes, allergies, etc).

I pretty much do all those things every time I go on an outing. It's been a dog's age since I took an official first aid course; but I keep up what I can by reading. All the gear I got covered , etc. but the MOST important thing is I don't put myself or loved ones into situations I /we can't back out of in the first place. I always have the frame of mind in the bush that I have to take care of myself. That's why I don't take unnessesary risks . I am aware that unexpected and even unexplained things can happen , and they have. I still like to have fun , though.

Im bad i only follow the #2. Heck sometime no one would even know if i died until a few days later. As i dont need to show up at work unless i got customers for that day... No one would look for me for atlist a week lol...

Sasha

I'm sure there's plenty of water in beer...so best to go right to the foamy stuff!

I habitually wear a FixxID, even around town. I started doing this when I found out that emergency crews will only look for ID on your body -- they won't look in bags or nearby containers, and so carrying ID in my bicycle's saddlebag simply isn't good enough.

I don't bother with a medical card because I don't have any medical conditions that one would list (diabetes, allergies, etc).

the medical card is my kaiser permanente card, it has my medical records # on it. and all my allergies.

i hope it is ovious to people here, but i know that at work, some people(too many) seem to take the chance of leaving there epipen behind. our machine operator almost didn't make it when he was stung by a bee.

Great post! I think I will print this off and put it as a checklist in the hunting cabin. Thanks!

i hope it is ovious to people here, but i know that at work, some people(too many) seem to take the chance of leaving there epipen behind. our machine operator almost didn't make it when he was stung by a bee.

I see this way too much. I don't know how many times I get a course going, ask about allergies and what not, Someone pops up and says the need one. "did you bring it?" "no, do you think I'll need it?"

Ah!:mad:

Either way, Im glad you all do most of this, if not, try and get in the habit. At least the gear and letting someone know where you are. I suspect most of the time some bad weather is going to ruin a trip but not make it life threatening, BUT I have seen it happen.:thumbup:

Just stay home.

Perfect!:thumbup:

If you dont feel confident, or for what ever reason feel you shouldn't be in the woods alone, or what have you, then yes, just stay home.

Or, you could just go to a park in town, most still have fire pits, plenty of care, and you can play out of the back of the car, which does mean more knife testing.:thumbup::D

I started doing this when I found out that emergency crews will only look for ID on your body

Thats true, and its a good thing you do. Usually we have a general Idea of the victim, male, female, all those things, but para's are on a time limit as well, and usually theirs is a little more strict.:D:thumbup:

Back