Not sure if this is the right place BUT

willrise

Gold Member
I posted the same questions on the "other" forum A while back got nothing. So I said. Let me post here. I grew up in Chiacgo, NW side, moved to a northern burb right out side Chicago when I got married. The wife and I wanted to get out of IL in 3 to 5 years, but now hoping in the next 12 months. Looking at central and southern Indiana, northern Tennessee and or northern Florida. Anyone living in these areas any feed back would be GREAT! The company I work for has to site in Winder GA and CLombus GA those would be a given if I score a job at those site. Currently talking to the bosses on working remote in the above area is a possibility since I have been working from home in IL since mid March.
Any feed back wpuld be great.THANKS

My parents live outside of Knoxville TN. Nice area. Weather is just about ideal imo. Costs (especially property taxes) are low. The eastern side of the state, starting around Cookeville - Crossville area and heading east are on the Cumberland plateau. You seem to avoid tornadoes, flooding, and other weather issues compared to other parts of the state (from what I've seen and heard).

I'd easily pick the eastern side of TN over the western or central part. I love Knoxville. Nashville isn't bad. Memphis is a pass for me.

I would move to Knoxville TN if the wife was on board. She won't leave MI until her parents do.

I'm in Southeast TN and like living here if you have a job. Wages tend not to be as high as other places, but the outdoors environment is more than justifies that for me. Knoxville is a great place to live. The mountains are wonderful and there is lots of interesting scenics. Taxes are good overall. Cost of living is lower than average for the US. The cost of living is highest in Nashville statewide.

Many people like Northern AL and you see a lot of retiring people moving there. It is much like Tennessee for the most part.

Columbus GA.... never spent time there. I think it would be an okay place to live. Don't know where Winder GA is. Looked it up... NE of Atlanta. I think that would be okay. Columbus is probably a bit more mainstream but Winder is closer to the mountains.

Back