Not taking orders anymore, and why.

Not that it will break any of your hearts, and I'm not quitting at all. Just thought I'd post it here to kind of make it official and to ramble a little about why...

I think taking orders, at this point, is holding me back as far as the progression of my work. Most of the orders I take are for knives that I've already made, and in some cases, many times. I'm getting tired of that.

I don't like the intricacy of hashing out each and every knife by email, with several customers at once, for work that will be several months in the future. Honestly, I find it too easy to let someone slip through the cracks now and then, as hard as I try to keep everyone straight in my "current projects" folder.

I don't like taking deposits, which I don't 90% of the time, and I don't like asking for them. I don't like shopping for specific materials on my own dime either.

I don't like deadlines. It's not so bad, since I don't take deposits, but still I hate telling people that it will be another month or two. And sometimes having to tell them again.

I have projects lying around on the bench that I'd rather work on. CruForge damascus to play with, a san mai bolo knife, some ideas I want to try with integrals. I never get the time.

I need to make knives in a more relaxed mode. Taking orders makes it seem more like a chore; I can work full time, and keep hard at it, with more enjoyment if I am following my muse.

My work doesn't get the exposure, when going right to collectors and users, that it does when I'm publicly posting it for sale.

There are many different kinds of maker, I find that I'm simply not a high-volume guy, and a repetition guy. I need to change it up or I lose focus.

All of this was good for a while, but three years of it full time has been enough for me (for now.) No more orders, I'll see how I feel when I get caught up, probably I'll take orders again on a limited basis but not right away for sure.

Will I miss the job "security?" Maybe, but I'm not worried about it. I learned a lot doing customs for as short a period as I did- it's been valuable.

Any of you guys make similar decisions, think along the same lines sometimes, or have comments?

I stopped taking orders for many of the same reasons you listed, and think that you made a good choice.

The primary reason I make knives is because I enjoy the process. Simply put, it's fun.

Taking orders complicates things, and sucks the fun out of knife making.

Not taking orders also frees me up to experiment more and make whatever I want.

If I took orders, I would end up making the same knives over and over for dealers and collectors.

I have a hard time understanding how you custom knife makers and your customers could come to agreement on details anyway. Words and descriptions can mean two different things to two different people.

Enjoy your sabbatical.

I have a feeling you will have no problem selling whatever you make.

Making it because it pleases you and challenges you will only add to the final quality and value.

From the Moderator:
I am going to leave this in shop talk, as it has a bearing on why full time and part-time makers take orders......or don't.

That was part of the difficulty- communication is paramount, and sometimes takes many words. It can be exhausting, but better than someone walking away from a deal unhappy.

These days, it's pretty easy too for some hothead to walk away unhappy and smear your name on the net. Gotta be careful! That's another thing, as long as I take good pics, am honest and thorough in my descriptions, people know what they are going to get a whole lot more.

Last edited:
I found the same thing. Basically when i take an order from someone that wants a hunting or tactical or whatever knife, they are on the list for the next one I make. When finished, I email starting at the top of the list. Ive found it took almost all of the frustration out for me. This is the knife, if you dont want it, it goes to the next person in line.

I have reached a similar stage and just about every point you made hit home. When you're doing orders you are not really working for yourself, and my experience is that 9 times out of 10, pieces made and sold on your own initiative are more profitable as well as satisfying.

The chances are that if you are that busy with orders you can probably make fewer pieces of higher quality and cost, and move into a segment of the market that capitalizes more on your skills and creativity than your ability to procure materials and maintain timelines.

My guess is that your decision is going to free up about 20% more time for you to spend making knives.
Plus as you mentioned you will be able to stay focused on making the sort of knives you want to make.
In my opinion that will provide the best environment where you can improve your skills and let your own personal style evolve.
Good Luck with everything. I am sure you will do well.

FWIW: I don't take orders. I accept wishes and if and when I make something that might match
the wish and I remember the wisher, I'll let them know it's available. Of course, I'm clearly not
trying to make any sort of living at this...

I had to stop taking orders, it takes me a few days to make most knives but I get order requests daily. Darn math and logistics!

After a year of making knives I stopped taking orders. I am still finishing up orders from then and it is a year later.

Salem I know you will do great! Your knives are top notch and I think we like that sort of thing here!

Well Salem, I personally agree with everything you said..Though Lisa has started taking and filling special orders she is more business minded than me and more apt to see the bottom line(she has a business degree)..So she has decided to take a shot at doing special orders so the jury is still out..I dont take deposits and I hate telling someone a timeframe because its hard to hold too..We have farm work coming soon, animals to take care of and our little boy is turning three and starting pee wee basketball..Time is precious and I am vehemently against sacrificing too much family time..The problem is that when I tell someone that said it will be done in "x" ammount of time I feel such a heavy obligation to get it done that I would often sacrifice too much to make it happen.Time with my family and my own health(working while in pain and working while very sick). So well see how it works out..

I hear what you're saying Salem. Hope this decision brings a little bit of peace to you in the shop, and I'm looking forward to seeing some cool new stuff from you in the future!

I agree with everything you said Salem! Makes me want to take the plunge and quit taking orders. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all my customers but most want the same knives ive already made and that gets very old fast. I do like the custom orders where the order calls for something different and I think when the time comes ill still do those. But the ones that expect the knife be finished yesterday, like they are the only order I have gets stressful too... etc. etc.

You do top notch work Salem, and I have no doubt you will do great no matter what you decide you want to do!

From a customers stand point, I totally understand and agree...
I do understand the time, effort and time that goes into making just one knife. I started my first a few month back and still haven't gotten close to completion (long story)

What I normally do is ask if a particular knife style is still being made, if so, I ask to be notified on it's next run so that I can get a chance to buy one.

But that's just me. =)

What an eye opener. I just finished my first one so I am far from contemplating this issue but your reasons make perfect sense to me.

I brought my knife to work the other day and it went over big. So big in fact that everyone wants me to make them one. The problem is all the guys are describing to me what they want and the general consensus is they want a pry bar with an edge. I have a lot of things that I want to do and a pry knife was not on my list. Can't really say no to my buddies and it may end up being a fun project but I already sort of feel most of your points.

I'm not a full timer, but if things don't pick up pretty quick, I might be. I've given it a lot of thought over the year and half I've been making knives and I come to the same conclusion as you did. I know myself and I can't possibly fathom being on a deadline and dealing with the details of knives that are to be made months in advance. How much fun and satisfaction can there be in getting up in the morning and saying "Oh, I HAVE to make this kind of knife today and I have to be done with it by this date". Been there, done that in a couple of other businesses and it was no fun at all and I eventually burned out.

I just want to make what I want to make when I want to make it. If they like it they can buy it and if not, I have room for it in my safe until someone comes along who wants it. And someone will, they always do!

I agree with you on almost everything you said. Especially lack of exposure, deadlines, & hashing out details. Just last week I was working on an order for two knives for this customer. When the blades were finished I sent him a pic of them. He replied that the blades had choils and he had specifically said he did NOT want choils. When I read it I remembered him saying that but I didn't write that little detail down. It was totally my fault and is just one of the little things that make you wanna pull your hair out. I appreciate orders because they allow me to keep making knives but sometimes I just have to make something I wanna make.
I agree with Stacy, I'm sure you will be able to sell whatever you make. I'm gonna keep taking orders but I'm gonna work in a few more things that I've had in my mind for a while.
Thanks for starting this thread because it made me realize I need to put some of the fun back in knifemaking. And like you, I wanna do a little experimenting with some things I've never tried.
I wish you well, and hope the decision works out and allows you to accomplish your goals.

Make what you like, when you like. I love how Peter Atwood does it. He makes batches and then posts them for sale. Try it, it will give you the freedom to make whatever and however many you want with the ability afterword to sell to your clients that want to buy your special knives. Either way, good luck!

That's how I learned to make slip joint knives - stop doing orders.
And now I take orders - but to what I want to make..... clear as mud?:rolleyes::)

I am 3 months behind on a complicated custom piece and right now that customer owns my soul. I totally understand. I got sick for a couple of months and am in hell trying to dig out. My customers own my waking hours until at least August at this point with nothing left over for my wife, my hotrod or my sailboat and that is not fun. I have stopped taking new orders until I am closer to caught up, but 95% of my income is highly personalized pieces so I can't stop doing custom orders.

-Page

Back