Not to sure about the BK11

I had been wearing my favored BK11 for awhile, mostly on the weekends, and loving it, but then gave it to my cousin for Christmas. With no 11, I started carrying my BK24 and darn if I’m not really torn now on which I like better! I was cutting some cheese last night and the smooth stainless was sure easier to clean and didn’t discolor when I pealed an apple and left it with juice on it awhile. My past experience with D2 has been very positive as to edge holding and general useablility. It does make a big improvement having the factory plastic scales on it. I will get another 11, but is it still my favorite necker??????

Once I was able to get the BK24, it overthrew my Izula and BRK Mini Canadian for fixed blade edc supremacy!
If you think the plastic handles are great, get some TKC G10 scales!

I bet the TKCs are nice, are they heavy? The plus on the plastic ones is the lite weight and I don’t much hang off my neck.

D2 is one of my favorite steels; the 1095 is still stellar in forgiving, easy to maintain woodsy stuff.

LMF Joe makes some really nice micarta for the BK14/24 as well.

even paracord or better, paracord with an inner tube over it is better than nothing :D

This thread needed a picture
I really like the factory scales.
goznwSJ.jpg

Attachments

• UujaoLm-4.jpg
    UujaoLm-4.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I bet the TKCs are nice, are they heavy? The plus on the plastic ones is the lite weight and I don’t much hang off my neck.
LMF Joe makes some really nice micarta for the BK14/24 as well.
I don't neck carry mine and I like the TKC scales a lot as far as hand comfort. They are heavier than the plastic stock scales and I don't think you would like the extra weight for neck carry .
IMG_1097.JPG

I've got what I think were izula scales on my 24. They're a huge improvement; but I'm thinking that TKC or LMF scales would be better. I doubt I'll bother, though, because I don't use my 24 all that much.
I never got around to making scales for my 11; which is a shame, because I like it a lot more than the 24. I'd break down and buy some; but I'd have to modify them to fit what I did to the handle (and I don't need any more projects)

I am a huge fan of the 14 and 24 with cord wrapped handles. For me they are so much better than the 11 and the Izula that I never carry the latter.

I used gutted paracord but did 2 layers and it really is perfect. Makes it just a tad thicker than 1 layer of paracord. Tried 2 layers of non gutted but was to thick. So tried 2 gutted layers and it's perfect. I have micarta scales on my 11
pV78qN6.jpg

I used gutted paracord but did 2 layers and it really is perfect. Makes it just a tad thicker than 1 layer of paracord. Tried 2 layers of non gutted but was to thick. So tried 2 gutted layers and it's perfect. I have micarta scales on my 11
pV78qN6.jpg
I like the way that lays, looks very stable!

Used the 24 some more this weekend, peeled an orange, opened letters, cut some twine, cut some plastic ties off of a 350 count Blazer 9mm ammo can and just generally enjoyed wearing it. Touched it up on the Sharpmaker this afternoon, sharpened very nicely, I just haven’t seen the difficulty of sharpening D2 that others report?

I’ve become dependent on the handyness (new word?) of the light on my Mcintire-ish rig when at my ol’ home place in the Blueridge mountains.

Can’t say the 24 is better than the 11 so far, but it ain’t worse either.....

I find the 14/24 more comfortable to use; besides the beers i drink have twist offs generally.

question for the people that have the factory scales - do they need an insert? I wrapped my 24 with paracord, but might try scales so as to bend kydex for it.

Back