Not trying to stir up trouble

ron finkbeiner jr

Gold Member
So, I was perusing the Emerson Knives website and I keep looking at the Tiger and I found that I dig the knife with the exception of the Liner Lock and was was wondering what the Coldsteel equivalent of the Tiger. Let it be known that I am a Coldsteel fan but back before then I really dug Emerson.

I’d say a recon 1 with a Snaggletooth MF thumbstud replacement. Or a Talwar.

For the tiger I can’t think of any similar cold steels at the moment. Maybe the sr1. But...

Air lite tanto - cqc 7
Recon 1/ voyager tanto- roadhouse
Rajah 3- commander

Last edited:
Imagine Emerson designs with Triadlock... I’ll take triad CQC7, Commander, a-100, kwaiken etc.
Unfortunately CS hasn’t come up with new classic designs like Recon 1 & Lawman for a long time.
Should’ve stick to the proven formula of Recon 1 style construction, instead of plastic clip, 1.4116/5crXXX steel, fake CF laminate handle, paper thin airlite g10 handle, stupid golden eye brass thumb ramp, unnecessarily complicated backlock with secondary safety etc.

The Recon 1 is the closest to the Tiger. You can find them in either satin finish or dlc. It's one of my favorite edc knives. The Ultimate Hunter and American lawman are also worth checking out.

The Recon 1 is the closest to the Tiger. You can find them in either satin finish or dlc. It's one of my favorite edc knives. The Ultimate Hunter and American lawman are also worth checking out.

What would be the reason to choose the Tiger over the Recon 1?

As mentioned above , the American Lawman and Ultimate Hunter are also excellent choices, just a bit smaller. Look at the Voyager for a great economical alternative.

What would be the reason to choose the Tiger over the Recon 1?

As mentioned above , the American Lawman and Ultimate Hunter are also excellent choices, just a bit smaller. Look at the Voyager for a great economical alternative.

Sorry if I implied that the tiger was a better edc. I would never buy a tiger, or any knife that does not have a triad lock, scorpion lock, or the new shark lock. I like knifes that have a solid lock that won't fold on my fingers.

I just looked at the Emerson Tiger and I must say it’s a pretty looking knife. Just plain sexy. Too bad I’ve been spoiled too much by the Tri-Ad lock.

Here are some CS folders that I think stack up well against the Tiger. For budget considerations, I separated them to upper- and mid-tier categories.

Upper-tier:
AD-10
Ultimate Hunter
Bush Ranger
4-Max

Mid-tier:
Recon 1 in clip point
Voyager Large in clip point
American Lawman
4-Max Scout

Any of these folding knives will serve you well. Happy hunting, and let us know if you pick one. We CS nuts are always excited about new acquisitions.

Imagine Emerson designs with Triadlock... I’ll take triad CQC7, Commander, a-100, kwaiken etc.
Unfortunately CS hasn’t come up with new classic designs like Recon 1 & Lawman for a long time.
Should’ve stick to the proven formula of Recon 1 style construction, instead of plastic clip, 1.4116/5crXXX steel, fake CF laminate handle, paper thin airlite g10 handle, stupid golden eye brass thumb ramp, unnecessarily complicated backlock with secondary safety etc.
True. I’m not too crazy about the CS rocker lock models. I want to see more G10/S35VN or FRN/Aus10a everyman knives made in Taiwan. Taiwan-made knives rock. I’ll be staying away from Chinese-made knives in the near future.

True. I’m not too crazy about the CS rocker lock models. I want to see more G10/S35VN or FRN/Aus10a everyman knives made in Taiwan. Taiwan-made knives rock. I’ll be staying away from Chinese-made knives in the near future.
Wished CS would have US factory where they actually manufacture their own knife, like Spyderco’s Golden factory. I like US made Spyderco models the most. To me it’s not about “made in USA” etc. it’s about being able to full control over the execution of their designs. Imagine if the Golden factory is able to produce the American Lawman(kinda ironic that this isn’t even made in US despite the name), I’d pay 1.5X for it. Instead of a subcontractor that’s also produce other companies’ knives, perhaps CRKT, Boker or others.

Wait a minute, isn't Taiwan Chinese? I'm so confused(he,he).:confused::eek:;)

Here are some CS folders that I think stack up well against the Tiger. For budget considerations, I separated them to upper- and mid-tier categories.

Upper-tier:
AD-10
Ultimate Hunter
Bush Ranger
4-Max

Alongside the AD-10, I keep coming back to the SR1. Both are about the right size and weight and have the protrusions at both ends of the handle to lock your hand in place, like the tiger; the SR1 is the same blade length, too. I'm not sure if the SnaggleToothMF fits those two models, but if it does I think that's about as close as you can get.

There are certainly larger CS tactical knives that already have the thumb plate, and even the handle "horns," like the Spartan, but looking through the various models none of those look/feel quite like the Tiger.

On the slightly smaller end, the AK-47 isn't a bad match: thumb plate, locked-in grip, unabashedly tactical, low-slung aggressive blade. Out of the box -- blade length aside -- that's pretty close as well.

Wished CS would have US factory where they actually manufacture their own knife, like Spyderco’s Golden factory. I like US made Spyderco models the most. To me it’s not about “made in USA” etc. it’s about being able to full control over the execution of their designs. Imagine if the Golden factory is able to produce the American Lawman(kinda ironic that this isn’t even made in US despite the name), I’d pay 1.5X for it. Instead of a subcontractor that’s also produce other companies’ knives, perhaps CRKT, Boker or others.

They did at one point, but not anymore. They don’t manufacture anything themselves at this point, and everything is made overseas.

Alongside the AD-10, I keep coming back to the SR1. Both are about the right size and weight and have the protrusions at both ends of the handle to lock your hand in place, like the tiger; the SR1 is the same blade length, too. I'm not sure if the SnaggleToothMF fits those two models, but if it does I think that's about as close as you can get.

There are certainly larger CS tactical knives that already have the thumb plate, and even the handle "horns," like the Spartan, but looking through the various models none of those look/feel quite like the Tiger.

On the slightly smaller end, the AK-47 isn't a bad match: thumb plate, locked-in grip, unabashedly tactical, low-slung aggressive blade. Out of the box -- blade length aside -- that's pretty close as well.
Totally forgot about the SR1. Thanks for adding that. That knife can definitely give the Tiger a run for its money.

They did at one point, but not anymore. They don’t manufacture anything themselves at this point, and everything is made overseas.

They're in business to make money and their business model dictates where their products are made. Like most everything else, its all about the money.

. I would never buy a tiger, or any knife that does not have a triad lock, scorpion lock, or the new shark lock. I like knifes that have a solid lock that won't fold on my fingers.
"Fixed Blade".
Any blade lock can fail, no matter what the manufacturer claims. If you're that worried about a knife folding on your fingers, get one that doesn't have the blade broken in the middle for a hinge.

I don't know what your doing with your folding knives, but unless you're stabbing cars, use them to do pull-ups, climb a building, or are trying to cut or slice something with the spine ...

I've used Buck and Schrade/Old Timer lockbacks, along with friction folders like MAM and Opinel, and slipjoints for 60 years. I've never had a blade attempt to close on my fingers. When using a folding knife to cut something, the cutting action forces the blade open, not closed.

I've never had the backlock on a Buck 110/112 or Schrade Old Timer 6OT/7OT, or Uncle Henry LB7 fail. Even if it did while I was cutting or slicing something, it would only open farther, not close.
The only time a folding knife closes is when you apply pressure to the spine, with no pressure on the edge.​

"Fixed Blade".
Any blade lock can fail, no matter what the manufacturer claims. If you're that worried about a knife folding on your fingers, get one that doesn't have the blade broken in the middle for a hinge.

I don't know what your doing with your folding knives, but unless you're stabbing cars, use them to do pull-ups, climb a building, or are trying to cut or slice something with the spine ...

I've used Buck and Schrade/Old Timer lockbacks, along with friction folders like MAM and Opinel, and slipjoints for 60 years. I've never had a blade attempt to close on my fingers. When using a folding knife to cut something, the cutting action forces the blade open, not closed.

I've never had the backlock on a Buck 110/112 or Schrade Old Timer 6OT/7OT, or Uncle Henry LB7 fail. Even if it did while I was cutting or slicing something, it would only open farther, not close.
The only time a folding knife closes is when you apply pressure to the spine, with no pressure on the edge.​
It’s perfectly reasonable to want a very secure locking mechanism like the triad. Some people work with their knives, some people would like to be confident that their folder won’t fold if stabbed into something.

I’ve had a liner lock knife fail because I was working in tight quarters and managed to hit the spine on something while I was maneuvering.

So I politely suggest you not question what a newer member here is doing with their folding knife that warrants worrying about lock strength.

Back