Not trying to stir up trouble

It’s perfectly reasonable to want a very secure locking mechanism like the triad. Some people work with their knives, some people would like to be confident that their folder won’t fold if stabbed into something.

I’ve had a liner lock knife fail because I was working in tight quarters and managed to hit the spine on something while I was maneuvering.

So I politely suggest you not question what a newer member here is doing with their folding knife that warrants worrying about lock strength.
I worked with all my knives, including friction folders and slipjoints, in industrial jobs and construction; I didn't work in an office. (I'm not saying those here that use their knives at a job only work in an office, or only use them to open mail and boxes, or to break down boxes, or to slice an apple, or something.)

The backspring on a knife was invented in the 1500's. Prior to that, people used either a fixed blade, or if they had a folding knife, it was a friction folder. The oldest known friction folder in existence (found so far) dates from the Roman Empire, by the way.

The "peasant knife" or "penny knife", a (usually a low cost) friction folder with no lock or backspring, and the slipjoint have been used by our ancestors for hundreds of years, perhaps as much as a thousand plus years, and they used them a heck of a lot "harder" than most folk would dream of using their knives today.
Our ancestors weren't cutting or amputating their fingers using a non-locking blade folding knife, because the blade suddenly closed on them.

Today, in most of Europe, all of the British Isles, Australia, and other locations, locking blades are illegal, and fixed blades are highly regulated, if not banned unless at a job site and the knife is required for the job. (such as a chef.)
Those folks are not filling the ER because they are severely cutting or removing their fingers because they are restricted to a friction folder or slipjoint.

When I was a youngling, the backlock, frame lock, and modern liner lock (a few knives used an early form of the liner lock beginning in the 1800's. The slipjoint was far more popular) had not been invented yet. I've noticed over the years that a locking blade has caused quite a few folk to get careless.
Like a "safety" on a firearm, no blade lock should be trusted. Like the "safety" on a firearm, any blade lock can fail.

A locking blade does not make a knife "safer". IMHO, quite the opposite, since it "encourages" people to be careless and to depend on the lock to prevent injury. Remember: any lock can and has failed. No blade lock is going to make a folding knife as strong as one that doesn't fold.

Last edited:
My 65 years of driving experience shows that seatbelts & airbags are useless when you just drive careful. Car manufacturer should stop putting seatbelts and airbags in the car, and stop making safe car with crumble zone and stiff body, because it's stupid and it only encourages reckless driving. Safe car should be banned from America so that the emergency room don't get swamped with car accident victims.
Remember! Right car for the right use! If you need to drive 75mph at the freeway with a lot of cars speeding along, you must drive an M1A1.

I don’t know what’s going on here, but don’t assume that people that want a sturdy locking folder are uneducated when it comes to using knives.

And yes, a more safe lock does make a folding knife more safe to use.

Last edited:
I don’t know what’s going on here, but don’t assume that people that want a sturdy locking folder are uneducated when it comes to using knives.

And yes, a more safe lock does make a folding knife more safe to use.

My posts are mainly a parody response to the "knife police" who constantly tells people they should use fixed blade for tasks beyond cutting boxes and that knife locks are unnecessary because no one cuts with the spine of the blade.

And I agree with you that people seems to always assume that Cold Steel fans/owners are all a bunch of uneducated redneck mall-ninja(i see that comments a lot from Spyderco fans, they like sit on the high horse and post stuffs like that on instagram).

People who like strong lock and hard use knife can be highly educated and sophisticated too, just like people who drives a truck.

My posts are mainly a parody response to the "knife police" who constantly tells people they should use fixed blade for tasks beyond cutting boxes and that knife locks are unnecessary because no one cuts with the spine of the blade.

And I agree with you that people seems to always assume that Cold Steel fans/owners are all a bunch of uneducated redneck mall-ninja(i see that comments a lot from Spyderco fans, they like sit on the high horse and post stuffs like that on instagram).

People who like strong lock and hard use knife can be highly educated and sophisticated too, just like people who drives a truck.
Some of Cold Steel’s mall ninja-esque designs actually appeal to me lol. The Chaos series and Rajah II have my interest.

As for what other folks say about Cold Steel knife owners, I don’t think we should be bothered about any of that. Our knives work for us just fine and that’s really what matters. I’d love to see their knives take the same punishment a Tri-Ad knife eats for breakfast.

My 65 years of driving experience shows that seatbelts & airbags are useless when you just drive careful. Car manufacturer should stop putting seatbelts and airbags in the car, and stop making safe car with crumble zone and stiff body, because it's stupid and it only encourages reckless driving. Safe car should be banned from America so that the emergency room don't get swamped with car accident victims.
Remember! Right car for the right use! If you need to drive 75mph at the freeway with a lot of cars speeding along, you must drive an M1A1.

index.jpg

So, I was perusing the Emerson Knives website and I keep looking at the Tiger and I found that I dig the knife with the exception of the Liner Lock and was was wondering what the Coldsteel equivalent of the Tiger. Let it be known that I am a Coldsteel fan but back before then I really dug Emerson.
Umm, back to our original content.

A Recon 1 Clip Point. Arguably better steel and a better lock, at less than half the price.

It's hard to go wrong with a Recon 1. It's a sturdy knife, yet it's a superb cutter thanks to its excellent blade geometry. And in my opinion, it rides comfortably in the pocket due to its reasonable weight and handle thickness.

I'm in between an AD10 or another Recon1. The AD10 is noice, I just dig it but the price..... The Recon 1 is always a winner and the price is good.
I agree with Kels73. If you’re looking for a tough working folder, the Recon 1/Lawman/AK-47 platforms perform really well at roughly 2/3rds the price of a PM2. CS knives are all about playing, not displaying.

If you don’t mind big knives, check out the 4-Max Scout. Our friend Z Zephyr One/Zero really likes his lol.

fo0Qyayh.jpg

"My . . . . that's a big one!"

7bb7fc6080ac51d412a1b3c0721a49d1.jpg

Today, in most of Europe, all of the British Isles, Australia, and other locations, locking blades are illegal, and fixed blades are highly regulated, of not banned unless at a job site and the knife is required for the job. (such as a chef.)
Those folks are not filling the ER because they are severely cutting or removing their fingers because they are restricted to a friction folder or slipjoint.
Not quite, certainly in the UK locking knives are not illegal per se, but you need to provide sufficient 'good reason' if you are found to be possessing one in a public area. So, it's ok to have a 3" or less slipjoint at pretty much anytime (even then, you could get arrested if you took it to a pub, concert or something involving a public gathering).
Fixed blades aren't illegal but you can't just cut about with them attached to you. Once again, good reason is needed - like you're in the woods practicing your bushcraft, or going deer stalking.
We have some types that are absolutely verboten though - OTFs, automatics, balisongs and push daggers.

Back