Not using what I carry and not carrying what I use - New level of the sickness.

Warned for Inappropriate Language in GKD
Carrying up to 3 - 4 knives now just to go to the corner store - the most expensive knives I own on rotation.

Had a relatively elementary piercing task to accomplish and chose to drive home 5km to get my $10 Chinese no name knife to perform the task cos I didn't want any marks getting on my overbuilt, supersteel thick stock, super lock near $200 folder.

Dude in the car said, you for real? We drove 5k to get a knife, what's wrong with the three in your pockets or the one in your pants?

I'm like fuck that not using my knives for that, you crazy?

What have I become?

Some people like pocket jewelry. To each their own. They’re yours, you can do what you’d like with them, they exist only to make you happy :)

That said, I would use any knife I carry for any knife related task I might face. I stopped carrying jewelry and whittled it down to knives I am not afraid to use. From $30 Bucks to $600 CRK. I carry and use them all :thumbsup:

In the future, I'd suggest 1 of your 3-4 knives that you carry be a $10 Chinese special to perform essential duties and save on gas.

If gas was $6 a gallon, would you have still made the trip?

th

Nothing wrong with carrying an inexpensive beater. Not "cheap", but inexpensive. Like a Kabar Dozier, Ontario Rat, Byrd, some 8Cr13MoV Kershaw. I don't use my ZDP-189/Carbon Fibre Caly 3 to cut cardboard, I use a $12 Opinel. I paid less than $20 for a Kabar folder in AUS-8 that I'll pry, drill, and scrape with because it's easy to sharpen if I happen to damage it, cheap to replace if I need to, and still locks up like bank vault.

And does your car not have a glove compartment?

I'm surprised you don't have a knife in your car/ glovebox! I always have kept some kind of blade in my car for just such a circumstance or I forgot my edc or some non knifer asks to borrow mine and I don't feel like cutting it for em or plenty of other situations!!!

Keep a knife inside your vehicle just in case. Better yet, keep several. If I am unwilling to use the knives I would normally carry, I would not carry them period. I can fondle and admire them better at home anyway.

But the answer to your dilemma is to carry a SAK and leave one or two of your other knives at home or simply rotate them as you wish.

Just take one knife and use it. You should see my CRK Umnumzaan, it's got dings, scratches and small chunks of metal missing lol. Send me your $200 knife and I'll break it in for you so you don't feel bad.

But carrying 4 knives seems more than a little over the top and driving back home to get a different knife is just plain weird.

Can understand not wanting to use them, but can't fathom carrying them around...leave them home, or at least all but one. Carry 2...a cheapo to use, and a nice one to fondle.

Find 4 worthy people and give your 4 expensive knives to them.

Clearly you don't deserve them, and the world is not benefitting one iota from the knives being in your pockets.

Then get yourself an Opinel. You'll have a knife you will use, and 4 people will have knives that they'll use and enjoy.

It's a win/win/win/win/win situation.

I carry 3 knives as a routine - a traditional, a modern folder, and a fixed blade. I'm generally willing to use any of them for the types of cutting tasks I encounter in my day; but, many days, they don't get used... simply because I rarely need a knife.
I could pretty much leave the modern folder at home; because, if I need a knife, I usually use the traditional or fixed blade...but I like my modern folders; so I continue to carry them.
As has been said - if you're going to carry multiple knives, make at least one of them a user.

Just out of curiosity, when you're carrying knives you won't use, do you leave them idle in your pocket (or wherever)... or do you find yourself handling them (fondling, admiring, fidgeting)?

BTW - it's not a new level, it's been there for a long time...it just took you a while to find it (or realize you were there).

Last edited:
Back