Not using what I carry and not carrying what I use - New level of the sickness.

FC5F883B-C529-478B-BB92-E1806F0DD382.jpeg F25F2E51-1CFE-4F26-A10B-F1F01365D550.jpeg 5A25DB57-6F99-434C-8A8D-CD8A55486AB6.jpeg Use them man. It’s the best part about having a pocket knife. The initial scars can sting a bit but like others have said you’ll get over it. They add a lot of character to a knife tho. My wife used to call me an idiot for buying knives and not using them :eek:
Personally I can’t stand having a knife in my pocket I have to baby or can’t use for whatever or however. But I’m also for whatever makes you happy, go with it. I’d suggest like others and keep you a cheapo in your car or even a little SAK in your pocket. I keep an Alox electrician in my right pocket everyday. Comes in useful with the flathead/prybar and a good loaner.

I use the knives I carry just some more gently than others.
And I always have my Leatherman Super-Tool 300 in the console of my car (along with my Ruger LCP).

If there's ever a "Walking Dead" kind of scenario, with zombies stumbling around trying to bite my face off, I'm definitely gonna get something cheap for brain work and reserve my Kapara for fruit 'n' potatoes. There probably won't be a lot of Amazon boxes to chop down in those apocalyptic times but I'd probably use the brain knife for that as well....

I don't use my self defense knife for anything but self defense, if needed, or to cut a seatbelt to save someone from a car accident. I carry two pocket knives for ordinary tasks.

I think this comes up a lot and many people don't want to mess up something they spent a lot of money on. But I would ask, how many of your beater knives have you ever broken or damaged to a point of being unusable? Now your nicer knives have better steels, better handles and better locks. I wouldn't go crazy with it and start trying to take nails out of walls with them but if you need to cut something that's what these are made for.

Solution: carry a main knife and a secondary ‘dirty work’ knife. Pair your $300 ZT with a $50 Kershaw. Also good for those ‘dude, can I borrow your knife?’ moments, although I’m not a fan of lending my knives to non-knife people.

Double the blades, double the fun.

I think this comes up a lot and many people don't want to mess up something they spent a lot of money on. But I would ask, how many of your beater knives have you ever broken or damaged to a point of being unusable? Now your nicer knives have better steels, better handles and better locks. I wouldn't go crazy with it and start trying to take nails out of walls with them but if you need to cut something that's what these are made for.
This is why we should also have standards even for our designated ‘beater’ knives. Pick a Kershaw, CRKT, Ontario, Cold Steel, etc., use it, and don’t worry about it. Gas station knives or Ganzo knives are just asking for trouble.

I would say it depends on the type of piercing task we are talking about. If we are piercing 50 bags of Sakrete I probably wouldn't want to use any of my nicer knives. If it's piercing a bag of jerky then you might have a problem. Either way, just find a cheap or midgrade knife that you like enough to keep in your rotation.

I use what I carry........although I have decided to get another knife so I would not abuse the knife I had.
Always need a low cost well made beater.
If it is damaged....
Who cares.....

If I was that scared to schratch my new EDC knife... I'd rather send it skipping over some rocks or corncrete or I'd use sandpaper top schratch it's blade surface on purpose just so I can get over it and enjoy my knife...

That's it in a nut shell. I don't buy damascus bladed knives for the simple reason that I know I won't use them. I think they're pretty, but I'll stick to something shiny. Other than trying to pry out a screw or nail with a knife (which I won't do), I don't think I EVER damaged a knife beyond the point I would just toss it in the trash. As a kid, I broke a blade on a Case barlow cutting a pine limb, but that was clearly the exception and I feel a random event. Case replaced that knife as to me it cost a small fortune at the time.... months of saving my allowance, months..... (Actually more like years at $0.50/week :D)

Last edited:
Solution: carry a main knife and a secondary ‘dirty work’ knife. Pair your $300 ZT with a $50 Kershaw. Also good for those ‘dude, can I borrow your knife?’ moments, although I’m not a fan of lending my knives to non-knife people.

Double the blades, double the fun.

LOL!! Yep, if someone wants to borrow my knife they will get the cheapest knife in my pocket - a Steel Warrior Stockman.

Had a relatively elementary piercing task to accomplish and chose to drive home 5km to get my $10 Chinese no name knife to perform the task cos I didn't want any marks getting on my overbuilt, supersteel thick stock, super lock near $200 folder.
What knife did you not want to mark up?

I firmly believe that one should not be allowed to use the word knife to describe what they are only carrying as man jewelry.
You want man jewelry? Get a nice watch, at least it will still tell you what time it is.
If you bought a knife I say use it or loose it, do not put that cutting tool in your pocket if it is not intended to be used . If you do then you better not have the nerve to call it a knife :D
Just a bit of " tough love " to give you some incentive to get out of your head and just use the darn things.

Currently all I have on me is a small 2 blade pen I got NOS ofF Ebay last week for $34.

It has been used without hesitation for every one of my pocket knife tasks since it entered my pocket.
When I carry more than one I try to get use out of both.

Back