Recommendation? Not your typical D2 steel knife: durability?(with photos)

Dude... I don’t think you could break that thing if you wanted to. I would feel more than confident that you could pry open a bomb shelter door with slab. Sharpening may be a pain but breaking it would be the least of my worries.

If you play any of the Metal Gear series, you'll see some real life Mick Strider and Warren Thomas blades.

28151811_546574119032403_4501091980649955328_n.jpg

Size comparison between my glock17 and the knife. Pardon the shitty sheath. The kydex wasn't robust enough to keep the knife in when worn horizontally, so I had to put some form of strap. Will refine it later.

If you play any of the Metal Gear series, you'll see some real life Mick Strider and Warren Thomas blades.

Noo! You played Metal gear series? Vamp had that custom Strider. Raiden’s sword was a Warren Thomas.

One knife that often gets overlooked is Big Boss’s knife in MGS3 is a Strider HT-S. The reason it gets overlooked is because Big Boss (Naked Snake) carries two knives in that game. The one that most people see is the generic sawback survival knife used for pulling out bullets.

The little cqc knife he uses is actually a Strider HT-S. The one that he holds in one hand while he holds the pistol in the other. It was my quest to learn which knife that was that first got me into the knife hobby. (I always loved knives but that started my education on the realities of the knife world)

Still trying to figure out which knife is being used by Big Boss’s clone in MGS5. I think it might be based on a Mad Dog.

MGSV-TPP-Snake-Knife.jpg

knife01.jpg~original

4m7gzg6wzk.jpg

Found out info about the hardness and such in an email to the blacksmith.

Heat treated to 58-59...Not making any more knives due to large gov contracts....sorry.....
(I do have about 70 made right now of all types and sizes)

So......getting a copy of this knife in case shit happens is a no go for now.

I didn’t know if the hardness made it breakable.

I'm no expert on heat treating, but it seems like there's a LOT more to judging toughness than simply looking at it as inversely proportional to hardness... Charlie Mike will know more about it and I'm sure will chime in, but the process used to get the knife to that final hardness number is going to be a big factor.

Cryo and tempering cycle length/temperature/amount will affect final RC. A "tough" blade can be had in D2 at 61RC. Even tougher in CPM D2.

Found a guy to sharpen the knife for me! Also, if anyone wants a copy, I found a smith who is making them for me now :) The steel is 52100 steel instead of D2 tho.
viperknife.png

Found a guy to sharpen the knife for me! Also, if anyone wants a copy, I found a smith who is making them for me now :) The steel is 52100 steel instead of D2 tho.
viperknife.png
How many are you making for yourself? Is the new one to be used?

Back