NOTABLE PAIRS : Only traditionals

TTD6Ktr.jpg

GEC red sawcut bone TC single clip with little brother.

One day in my youth, I noticed my dad's sock drawer had only red socks. Could understand why, just grab any two and you are good to go. He told me that was incorrect. Told me when he walked into a room with red socks on, people took notice of him. Didn't matter that he was 6'3" with broad shoulders / black wavy hair and didn't need red socks to be noticed, he wanted so bad to be noticed. He was poor, but able to use something he had to have to get noticed. My first car was fire engine red Camaro. Have finally figured out that red, and being a showoff, must be in my genes. Hope you enjoy the pics. Note red shirt in reflection … LOL

rustredTCandbloodred14sawcut-1.jpg

rustredTCandbloodred14sawcut-2.jpg

Last edited:
GEC red sawcut bone TC single clip with little brother.

One day in my youth, I noticed my dad's sock drawer had only red socks. Could understand why, just grab any two and you are good to go. He told me that was incorrect. Told me when he walked into a room with red socks on, people took notice of him. Didn't matter that he was 6'3" with broad shoulders / black wavy hair and didn't need red socks to be noticed, he wanted so bad to be noticed. He was poor, but able to use something he had to have to get noticed. My first car was fire engine red Camaro. Have finally figured out that red, and being a showoff, must be in my genes. Hope you enjoy the pics. Note red shirt in reflection … LOL

rustredTCandbloodred14sawcut-1.jpg

rustredTCandbloodred14sawcut-2.jpg
AWESOME post John, reminds me of my dad (85 yrs young) He grew up in a family of 12 brothers and sisters, my dad being the baby. All his life his goal was to be noticed. He wasn't 6 3" but 6 1" broad shouldered and dark wavy hair as well. He fought all his life and was one helluva boxer. Needless to say we respect/ed him and absolutely behaved in Church:D Beautiful knives John:thumbsup:

TheChunk91 TheChunk91 -Both beautiful knives Paul!! Could I ask what makes one better than the other? I would appreciate hearing your ideas as I respect your expertise and like to learn. Thanks, -James

TheChunk91 TheChunk91 -Both beautiful knives Paul!! Could I ask what makes one better than the other? I would appreciate hearing your ideas as I respect your expertise and like to learn. Thanks, -James

Thanks. The schrade is better because it has better snap, nicer bone (more depth and character in the jigging), and the hafting is far better than the gec. As you can see in the photos the schrade is more slim and better contoured, especially on the shoulders. The gec is very chunky in comparison. This is the largest difference between most old and new knives. The nitpicky f&f differences are very minute, the gec has a very slight lead in this matter. Not enough to be of real, practical difference.

All in all I'm very fond of both knives and I like how the gec has similarities to the old schrade. That's part of why I like it as well as I do.

This pair is around 60 years apart, yet they are fairly similar. I really like them both, but the schrade is a better knife without a doubt.

View attachment 985627 View attachment 985629 View attachment 985628
Paul, great duo. I have an old Ulster that is spot on with GEC's 66. I told Duncan that I thought GEC could have easily used it as a template to their 66. I know I posted the comparison pic some time back but will post again if I find the time. The peachseed on the Ulster is so Schrade like;)

Paul, great duo. I have an old Ulster that is spot on with GEC's 66. I told Duncan that I thought GEC could have easily used it as a template to their 66. I know I posted the comparison pic some time back but will post again if I find the time. The peachseed on the Ulster is so Schrade like;)

Looking forward to seeing it!

Thanks. The schrade is better because it has better snap, nicer bone (more depth and character in the jigging), and the hafting is far better than the gec. As you can see in the photos the schrade is more slim and better contoured, especially on the shoulders. The gec is very chunky in comparison. This is the largest difference between most old and new knives. The nitpicky f&f differences are very minute, the gec has a very slight lead in this matter. Not enough to be of real, practical difference.

All in all I'm very fond of both knives and I like how the gec has similarities to the old schrade. That's part of why I like it as well as I do.
Paul, as always your comments are quite informative and therefore well received. I hope GEC's jigging quality will someday reach the level past artisans were able to obtain. It seems their hafting has improved recently, at least on the few examples I've seen. I wonder if GEC intentionally leaves their bone scales thicker on the edge for strength reasons (minimize warranty work ???). Thanks for sharing your thoughts, hope to see more of your vintage Schrades soon. -James

Paul, as always your comments are quite informative and therefore well received. I hope GEC's jigging quality will someday reach the level past artisans were able to obtain. It seems their hafting has improved recently, at least on the few examples I've seen. I wonder if GEC intentionally leaves their bone scales thicker on the edge for strength reasons (minimize warranty work ???). Thanks for sharing your thoughts, hope to see more of your vintage Schrades soon. -James

Thanks for the kind words James.

I very much like both of those knives Paul. Thank you for posting them.

I have an ulster like that and it is identical to these schrade walden 856's from around the same timeframe. I will post pictures later of the ulster compared to one of these. I can go on and on about how much I love this pattern.

IMG_0416.JPG

I very much like both of those knives Paul. Thank you for posting them.

I have an ulster like that and it is identical to these schrade walden 856's from around the same timeframe. I will post pictures later of the ulster compared to one of these. I can go on and on about how much I love this pattern.

View attachment 986622
Wow, both beauties Paul:thumbsup: The Ulster is so solid, yet slightly less stature than the GEC 68. The Ulsters blades have ZERO play, steel liners versus brass and is such a fine knife. So similar build and blade wise to the 68 with the exception of the Main Clip being less stout than the 68 and different pulls (long vs nail nick). But man the peachseed jigging on your Schrades and the Ulster are so nice:cool::thumbsup:

Yes, very stout knives but slim, trim and packed with blades. I have a suspicion that the ulster's are actually schrade behind that ulster stamp. They are SO similar they just have to be the same, and the peachseed is quite an indicator.

Yes, very stout knives but slim, trim and packed with blades. I have a suspicion that the ulster's are actually schrade behind that ulster stamp. They are SO similar they just have to be the same, and the peachseed is quite an indicator.
Thanks for sharing these pictures of your 66 Stockman. That looks like a tidy little package. Now there is another GEC I’m putting on my lookout list.
Paul, I felt the same way with the Ulster being Schrade, most did as well in the old knife thread.

I had my pair of 35’s out earlier today.
View attachment 986625
Thanks my friend, the 66 & 68's are both so nice but I've always liked equal end knives. That said, what a pair of 35's:cool::thumbsup:

Back