Nothing really special, but actually something pretty special

alongoria

Gold Member
Hello. I don't post often, but occasionally I'll feel there is something worth adding to the forum. God/Jesus has blessed me with more money than brains, so for a long time I've spent money on what I consider good blades. Currently, I "EDC" a Rockstead folder. I have a few knives, including a handmade Tony Bose folder (Very fine knife, for handmade, just about perfection), a Harvey Dean boot knife (pattern welded and a razor), Johnny Stout "gentlemans" folder, Randalls, Saku Honkilahti handmade puukko, and a few others. Very small, but nice selection of knives. Nothing special in comparison to some of the folks here on this forum.
But, I also have 3 Murray Carter fixed blades (2 neck, one Whitecrane). FYI, I'm not affiliated with Murray Carter or Carter Cutlery in any way.
I can only comment on the 3 knives of his that I have, although I've read about his knives, owners comments, etc...
Generally, his knives are not anything special to look at. But, unlike any other knife I've had (that I can remember), his knives take a really very nice, very fine edge. I don't do anything "hard use", so the edge retention is fine for what I do.
His knives are relatively expensive. But, if you consider his being an ABS Mastersmith and his experience with traditional Japanese bladesmithing, I would consider his knive's cost to be reasonable in comparison to other highly skilled smiths.
If I had the extra money and I wanted a very good blade with quality steel that is a dependable cutting tool and able to take a razor edge, my money would go to a Murray Carter knife.
In reality, just about any knife can be sharpened and able to make the cuts that need to be made. Even rocks can be chipped/flaked to have a cutting edge.
But, in my experience, there is just something a little special about my MC knives.

I am chuffed to learn a new word, and that the OP has a great collection. He or she has done it the way I wish I had.

Good on ya my friend. Mr Carter makes fantastic knives. There are many makers that "fly under the radar" and Mr Carter is one of them.

Always intrigued me how some makers get "talked up" while others do not. It's always satisfying to find work done by a maker who is, in some cases, under appreciated. Which is why I love going to knife shows. There always seem to be great people & great talent that you might not ever see on a forum or in a magazine.

As a 'rugged indoorsman' I rarely carry a fixed blade... but I visited his website and his kitchen knives look very nice... too bad I don't cook...

A question : would you say his knives are the thinest of the knives you have ?
Especially thinner behind the edge ?
I find my Japanese knives in general
take a really very nice, very fine edge.
though in actuality ALL of my knives get just as sharp from a SAK to a Para2 with M4 . . . or even . . . S110V. All stupid hair whittling sharp off the Edge Pro to start with.

We won't get into which I prefer after a week of good solid work.
My Japanese white paper steel kitchen knives are right at the top of the list though for what they are designed to do.

too bad I don't cook...
Never too late to learn.
Hell I was a positively disastrous woodworker most of my life until I was in my late thirties. I finally got fed up and put my head down and didn't come up for air until I could cut dovetails by hand . . . hell I can even make 'em look like an expert did them. (It's all in the wrist and how you hold your tongue);).
(I didn't say I was fast at it):eek:

PS: my cooking advice is : Fat , Salt , Sugar . . . and rewrite the recipies so they are in some logical order and make some kind of dambed sense. :)

Back