nuclear meltdown treatment

I think you could make a case for this-- besides the cost it'd by necessity add to the blades.

I haven't found any downside to NM treatment besides if a person just didn't like the way it looked, like Demon613 says above.

Maybe if for some reason you found yourself needing a 90 deg edge for scraping, or something task like that, without damaging your secondary grind then you wouldn't like NM.

You'd have a hard time finding a sharp edge on my NMSFNO-- besides in the obvious place, of course. :rolleyes:;)
mK7HUZ4.jpg

YQBkR7J.jpg

I like it so much, I even find myself sometimes trying to make non-NMSFNO models more like NMSFNO's :).
43ievIO.jpg

oQGHPZD.jpg

ajXxg5p.jpg

btw, I had Josh grind a thumb notch @ a clean 90 deg. just in case I wanted to scrape some bark off a pole. ;)
qYNEOy2.jpg

fehtXhf.jpg

eSudkis.jpg

I hope you do not mind if I copy your NMB8 concept one day, P! That knife is one of my favorite knives of all time (your NMB8)...what a great freaking idea.

Love the Melt down
Loved it on guns too :)

I hope you do not mind if I copy your NMB8 concept one day, P! That knife is one of my favorite knives of all time (your NMB8)...what a great freaking idea.

Cam, you have my proxy...not that you needed it! :)

It's not trademarked, it was just me thinkin to myself, "How can I make this already outstanding model even better?"o_O

First thing I knew I wanted to do was drop the tip.

Then I wanted the tip more pointy...at that point I considered a "penetrator" type mod, but looking at my NMSFNO which has a perfect <for me> tip...I said to Josh @ REK... let's just roll over the entire spine "NUCLEAR MELTDOWN" style. :cool:

Absolutely love the nuclear meltdown treatment. I hope Jerry gives us a Chopweiler that's nuked before OP2W part 2 ends. The spine on that knife is begging for it.

Just a pair of FMV8's. They're the regulars, not the nukes, but the guards are sure enough nuked.

Just a pair of FMV8's. They're the regulars, not the nukes, but the guards are sure enough nuked.

There is a difference between the "chamfering" they do and nuclear meltdown...the meltdown is rounded all the way like a ball bearing (as we all know) and the chamfering has really nice edge work done along the guards, pommels and spines/swedges depending on the model. The chamfered models still have a bit of a flat spot on the talon holes, spines, etc where the grinding stops...almost like angled grinds except more subtle...

Not sure which the FMv8's are...

There is a difference between the "chamfering" they do and nuclear meltdown...the meltdown is rounded all the way like a ball bearing (as we all know) and the chamfering has really nice edge work done along the guards, pommels and spines/swedges depending on the model. The chamfered models still have a bit of a flat spot on the talon holes, spines, etc where the grinding stops...almost like angled grinds except more subtle...

Not sure which the FMv8's are...

I may be mixing up the terms. I always took 'nuked' on a busse to mean any rounded edges. I don't think the FMV8's are as rounded at the guard as my NMFSH or NMSFNO though, so you're likely correct that the FMV8's would only be considered chamfered. I do not (unfortunately!) have a nuked FMV8 to compare them to.

I think the NM treatment on my SFNO makes the knife more 'finished' and 'refined'. I really grew to regret selling mine and ended up purchasing another, something I've only done a few times with other blades.

Some people had an issuer with the NM treatment when they tried to use a fire steel.

I may be mixing up the terms. I always took 'nuked' on a busse to mean any rounded edges. I don't think the FMV8's are as rounded at the guard as my NMFSH or NMSFNO though, so you're likely correct that the FMV8's would only be considered chamfered. I do not (unfortunately!) have a nuked FMV8 to compare them to.

Not trying to be a jerk at all, just 2 different styles of refinement that Busse does. They are both beautiful and add a super nice touch.

Not trying to be a jerk at all, just 2 different styles of refinement that Busse does. They are both beautiful and add a super nice touch.

No worries bud, all good here. I would much rather stand correction than not when I'm wrong, especially when it's done kindly as you did. I've been here awhile and yet the difference hadn't sunk in.

Cheers

Dave

Kind of with Weldon on this one. Chamfering is OK. Great when done right and even. My ocd kills me when there’s a thicker chamfer on one side and a thin to no chamfer on the other side. My FBM came that way but I’ve been thinking about somehow ghetto nuking the talon holes.

Anyone know if busse meltsdown blades for a price?
I’d pay and I assume others would too. Let’s make it happen!

Back