Nvm I fixed it

Treated myself to a 940 a couple months ago. I was fairly happy with it and tuned the action perfectly simply loosening the pivot screw and setting it with removable loctite (blade swung relatively freely when axis lock was disengaged). Only issue was I couldn’t manage to center the blade. Not a huge problem but it was a slight itch to my OCD. One of the omega springs ended up failing so I took advantage of the warranty and sent it in to be fixed and sharpened. I also thought to ask them to fix the blade centering issue.
Upon receiving it back the knifes action is ruined... I can take out the pivot screw and disengage the lock and the blade is still in a bind, it requires two hands to close now... the knife was a little dull and they removed an ungodly amount of blade material to sharpen it... At least it’s sharp and centered... but the action feels like a $12 gas station knife and I can’t fix it (with lubrication and pivot adjusting).
Severely disappointed with Benchmade... any suggestions on how to move forward and hopefully salvage my knife.

Caleb how did you end up fixing the action? Inquiring minds want to know!

Removed the blade and cleaned all the thread locking compound from places it shouldn’t be in the pivot. Then I lapped the new washers and liberally applied lubricant. Still missing a significant amount of blade material for what should have been just a retouching of the edge (it’s a very course grind). I was unable to disassemble the knife further as my t6 bit snapped when trying to remove the first screw holding the scales on. Hoping whatever inept “warranty tech” didn’t manage to do any less apparent damage to the threads and “fix” with permanent thread locker.
I was really looking forward to getting my knife back after 3+ weeks and was a tad distraught to have it returned in such poor working order. The knife is usable again... no thanks to Benchmade... I suppose they replaced the omega springs.
Have I just had a bad experience with a normally good warranty service?

Have I just had a bad experience with a normally good warranty service?

I sent a grip in for a replacement clip and pivot. The knife came back with the replacement clip red loctited for right pocket carry (I’m a lefty). I didn’t break a torx, but stripped the screw and hosed the tapping somehow so that when it did turn, it just turned in place. This was after applying heat to it with a hairdryer. I was pretty annoyed.

I found out the hard way that they definitely hog off a lot of metal when they resharpen. I do my own sharpening, so now I tape my blades and write “do not sharpen” before sending them in for service. And I only send them in as a last resort (omega spring replacement, female pivot or liner replacement, etc.)

Was hoping I’d be reassured they don’t use the permanent thread locker. I’ll hit my screws with a soldering iron before I attempt to remove them again.

Many times people use permanent thread locker on aluminum or shallow steel threads after they cross thread them. Seen it done more than a few times on motorcycle frames. Perhaps they buggerd the shallow threads on the liner of your knife and resorted to red loctite.

Back