NY Gravity Knife Law Changed!

tom19176

Gold Member
A BIG thanks for Doug and Knife Rights!!! The billed that was passed three times by law makers was finally signed by the Governor last night! This was a hard fought battle that will help to end years of abuse. There are still a few issues in NY State on assisted openers being viewed as switchblades, and in NYC blade limits are set at under 4" and can not be visible.

My guess is the NYC Council will now pass some sort of law banning gravity knives with in the City.....If so we can only hope the wording will be clear as to what is legal....

mail

Wow it’s about time! Now I don’t have to worry about my pocket clip being visible and getting jammed up for a “gravity knife.”

Thanks for the update.

Just don't leave the pocket clip hanging out on the subway lol. I'm assuming the subway enforcement only applies to MTA and not NJ Transit? Either way this is still a big win for us knife guys that spend any amount of time in NYC.

The MTA rule applies to the NYC subway. It is a far lessor violation as it is not a "crime" but rather a violation of the transit rules. It is heard in a special court that handles these rules. It can still end with a fine and up to ten days in jail, but it would not give you a "criminal" record.....

Just don't leave the pocket clip hanging out on the subway lol. I'm assuming the subway enforcement only applies to MTA and not NJ Transit? Either way this is still a big win for us knife guys that spend any amount of time in NYC.

I've pulled out my flippers on the NJT train plenty of times without anyone batting an eye.

The NYPD will bat an eye if you do that in the NYC subway. I saw a guy get stopped inside the Times Square station for carrying a knife. I didn't hang out for the outcome but the cop had the guys knife in his hand as was leading him away.

I take the subway to Grand Central and catch a Hudson line train to Poughkeepsie every day, once I'm out the city , the knife riding in the pocket gets clipped to my pocket.

I have a question - how would any NYPD officer know that you have a knife on your person (unless you carry it clipped on in plain view and why would anyone do that in NYC?) Is there no 4th Amendment in New York? Can a cop walk up to you and search you for no reason?

I'm a NYC construction worker and I know of a few guys that have been clipped by the mta police for having there foldable razor knives clipped to there pocket. No sure of what law covers these types of blades, but best bet is to keep whatever knife u carry on the subway/mass transit, concealed. Just avoid any possible hassle . I wish one day I could keep my fixed blade on my hip in NYC, evan if it was only on the jobsite, it would be better. But that's not happening anytime soon.just my 2 cents

Next week, deep in my pocket, my NYC carry will be a Victorinox SD Classic with the main blade dremeled off, leaving me scissors, file, screwdriver, toothpick, and tweezers. If that gets me busted, then so be it.

Zieg

Back