Nyala from Chris Reeve Discontinued?

capnsutton

Gold Member
I have searched the discussion forums for this topic and did not find anything. I saw only one post from 12/2019 talking about the discontinuation of the Nyala, and the last chance to purchase from a vendor.

It's no longer offered on the CRK website. Anyone know the backstory on the discontinuation of this excellent fixed blade? It's got to be the best fixed blade made by CRK. Please share what you know on the five W's of this decision.

From what I understand it is.
I wish, ther would be some kind of announcement.
Mayde dealers get informed in more detail.
i.e. the end of the 5" GB.

Just ordered , most dealers sold out .
it was best small fixed blades by CRK

I hope CRK steps it up in the fixed blade department. They are lacking atm. Spartan has some great options though that would compliment a crk folder.

Last edited:
It is a great knife. I was lucky enough to get one a few months ago. If it gives you any hope, I read somewhere recently (we all know how reliable the internet can be) that there may be a re-release sometime down the road with some minor updates and tweaks. One can only hope, at least...

Well that sucks!
I’m glad that I have two of them.
The Nyala has been my go to blade for field dressing White Tailed deer and all around camping, hiking, and traveling knife for many years, I feel like it is a perfect design.
That said, I’d like one a 1/2 inch longer so hopefully that’ll be one of the tweaks if they do eventually rerelease it.
I bought an early Nyala, from what I believe to be the first batch. It doesn’t have the Idaho Made stamp and it was one of the first 50 with the much darker brown micarta. I thought that it’d be a nice back up to the user I have but I can’t bring myself to use it- it’s too pretty. do any of you other forum items have one from that initial run ?

I don't know where it is in the run, but mine does not have the Idaho Made stamp. It's just the right size for a all purpose and skinner.

I recently purchased both a DP and insingo and am glad I did. I will probably move on from the insingo at some point, but that DP will always be a part of the lineup. Such a great blade. I can't find the DP in stock anywhere right now, a few places still have the insingo though. Seems they are drying up.

They are drying up quick. Nothing screams SOLD OUT like a discontinued CRK. Especially these days.

I was gifted an Insingo Nyala when they first came out. I later bought a drop point. Both in natural micarta. I have used them extensively for processing whitetails. I always wanted a black Micarta drop point for edc. Waited too long.....

but....

Happy to say I have 2 inbound. Both drop points and one in Black Micarta and one in Natural. The drop point is just an excellent all around field blade for pretty much darn near anything. The Insingo is an awesome slicer. Really Really surprised to see it discontinued.

I had one of the first drop points. It was great for deer, and I also used it for camping. I sold it because I found the blade just a bit too short--of course now I really regret that.

I know of one dealer that still has a couple black insingos. I have one on the way from them. I’m still searching for another black drop point but I may just grab the natural drop point that is available to me just in case I don’t find my black.

do any of you other forum items have one from that initial run ?

I might. It didn't come with papers, but does not have the stamp and the micarta is the dark brown version. One thing that stands out compared to two newer Nyalas I also have is that the detail of machining on the handle slabs is greater. Where the chamfers at the front and back of the newer ones are just flat, those on the older one are structured... kind of like elevation lines on a map. Side by side the older one just has that CRK "attention to detail" that makes the knives so desirable.

They are drying up quick. Nothing screams SOLD OUT like a discontinued CRK. Especially these days.

I was gifted an Insingo Nyala when they first came out. I later bought a drop point. Both in natural micarta. I have used them extensively for processing whitetails. I always wanted a black Micarta drop point for edc. Waited too long.....

but....

Happy to say I have 2 inbound. Both drop points and one in Black Micarta and one in Natural. The drop point is just an excellent all around field blade for pretty much darn near anything. The Insingo is an awesome slicer. Really Really surprised to see it discontinued.
I couldn’t agree more with what you said.
I was also gifted an Insingo version from my best friend and although it was an awesome knife it just didn’t have what the drop point does for my needs in the field. I was surprised that I didn’t care for it since the Insingo blade shape is one that I absolutely love in the folders.
I’ve been eyeing those black micarta versions since they came out and drooled over one forum members Nyala after he had some carbon fiber slabs put on it years ago. I used to hate the natural micarta but after years of hunting with it it’s become much more appealing to me.

My Insingo is one of the originals with the darker PVD blade coating. It’s pretty cool. All are keepers

I also liked the Nyala but always waited to get another CR folder first. It was revealed to me about three days ago they were likely going for good. The black handle was my preference and it's hard to find.
This is one of the last few the dealer had... I freaking love it.
Built 1/27/20 Ordered 2/6/20 Received 2/8/20 It's so fresh!
aScJuTBl.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my first Nyala in and it’s also my first CRK fixed blade.

First impression is that it’s bigger and heavier then I thought it would be. For some reason I expected a smaller knife. Not a big deal and I actually prefer this size.

Also, does anyone have fitment issues where the scales meet the tang? I have very small gaps near the ricasso, once again not a big deal but it is a $250 knife.

Just got my first Nyala in and it’s also my first CRK fixed blade.

First impression is that it’s bigger and heavier then I thought it would be. For some reason I expected a smaller knife. Not a big deal and I actually prefer this size.

Also, does anyone have fitment issues where the scales meet the tang? I have very small gaps near the ricasso, once again not a big deal but it is a $250 knife.
There is VHB tape under the micarta. That causes a slight gap. Any pics?

Back