NYC Knife laws

I believe that, if you research the topic (NYC knife laws are a popular subject, and the statutes are often posted for reference), you will find that carrying a fixed blade in the City is heavily restricted.
My interpretation is that, if one chooses to do so, it should be completely concealed at all times...unless one of the exceptions are met.
Personally, I prefer fixed blade carry; and I won't bring one if I have to go to the City.

That is the way is most places if you read the laws closely. Its often called "intent to go armed." A knife that is ok as a utility tool becomes a dangerous weapon when your sole reason for carrying is to use it as a weapon. Pretty hard to argue a push dagger has any real utility value.

I would not carry ANY knife in NYC unless its small enough to just drop in your pocket.
Example would be a Spyderco Bug or SOG Centi 1
..something like that.

metsfan yes the gravity knife NYSPL law was changed, but the MTA transit rules still ban them on subways and buses and the definition of what is a gravity knife remains in the NYSPL. As for the assisted openers, that is still in a gray area. The recent court action does have possible use for claiming they are now switchblades but the wording of the law still does not not support that ruling so who knows.
In NYC the Admin Code 10-133 does not allow for "open carry" which a pocket clip is considered open carry. Carry a legal knife ( under 4" blade and not a weapon by design) in your pocket fully concealed. That is legal in most cases and allows for your rights to be covered by legal search requirements. Never claim any knife is carried for self defense. The link for KnifeRights you posted says it all! Becareful as NYC is an anti knife place for sure.

Last edited:
Back