NYC

I am reopening this thread as I plan to travel to a few parts of NYC I do not frequent very often and have reconsidered taking a blade.

What is the likelihood of someone ( well dressed, non violent, married, etc. ) that had a fixed blade under 4 inches being detained and taken into custody.

I'm not worried over charges, I know the case would be dismissed. However I wish to take a
CHRIS REEVE KNIVES: NYALA - INSINGO GRIND

58-59 RC
Blade Length: 3.75"
Blade Thickness: Full Tang 0.180
Overall Length: 8.5"
Handle Material: Brown Canvas Micarta
Weight: 6.2 oz

Would I have any trouble if this was found on me ( aka the " dangerous weapon " bs law. ) Or should I be good?

The relevant NYC Code statute can be found here: http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/New York/admin/title10publicsafety/chapter1publicsafety?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:newyork_ny$anc=JD_10-133

But because the knife is under 4" and the law actually doesn't say it has to be a folder, the only risks of running afoul of the law are the State-level laws regarding possessing a dangerous knife (which is so vague it's hard to make any declarations about) or if this knife was in anyway visible to an police officer. Keep it completely concealed at all times, don't commit other crimes and don't try to get it through metal detectors. Stick with that and the likelihood of being charged is approaches zero. I know people will like to bring up all kinds of horror stories about NYC but all the ones I've heard involve someone having the knife visible in some way or committing a crime. It's illegal to search people randomly on the street without cause, and even in NYC this will get a case thrown out and even the occasional firing of an officer.

The relevant NYC Code statute can be found here: http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/New York/admin/title10publicsafety/chapter1publicsafety?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:newyork_ny$anc=JD_10-133

But because the knife is under 4" and the law actually doesn't say it has to be a folder, the only risks of running afoul of the law are the State-level laws regarding possessing a dangerous knife (which is so vague it's hard to make any declarations about) or if this knife was in anyway visible to an police officer. Keep it completely concealed at all times, don't commit other crimes and don't try to get it through metal detectors. Stick with that and the likelihood of being charged is approaches zero. I know people will like to bring up all kinds of horror stories about NYC but all the ones I've heard involve someone having the knife visible in some way or committing a crime. It's illegal to search people randomly on the street without cause, and even in NYC this will get a case thrown out and even the occasional firing of an officer.

Thanks for your time.

And just to double check they are not measuring the entire tang correct? Blade = just the 3.75 inches?

Careful because they measure the blade from the end of the handle and not the sharpened edge.

Careful because they measure the blade from the end of the handle and not the sharpened edge.

Are you saying from the tip to the end of the actual blade ( even the blunt part ) or follow the tang all the way through the handle?

10.jpg

^ This is how it should legally be done and I've heard judges would throw out anything else.

chris-reeve-nyala-knife-insingo-blade-with-s35vn-steel-14.jpg

From the tip to the end of the handle scale closest to the tip.

Not the entire length of the knife.

From the tip to the end of the handle scale closest to the tip.

Not the entire length of the knife.

Well I hope they factored that in to their 3.75 calculation or it's less than 1/4th inch, I measured my buck knife and they factored in the blunt part connected to the handle scale.

Anyone know if this is how they factored in the CRK blade? I've already ordered it but worst case scenario I have a nice CRK I collect anyway.

The problem mostly arises from an officer that you run into on the street. The officer will often try to measure the blade including the blunt part connected to the handle scale as you call it. They will often do this even if the law specifies they are only supposed to measure the sharpened edge.

That is why it is best to measure blade length as the entire blade, even the unsharpened portion by the ricasso.

IIRC, only Connecticut has laws that specify "sharpened edge" in measurements.

Everyone else just uses blade length, which has been established in various court cases and from tip to guard, or where a guard would be if the knife in question had a guard.

If you find yourself discussing precise technical interpretations with the police and quibbling over quarter inches, you're already having a bad day. Think hard about how much blade you REALLY need to carry. Unless you're wearing a big backpack with a mess of camping gear and are on your way to the train station to head up to the Adirondacks, I think you'd have a hard time justifying that Nyala to an LEO, or a jury. That's my opinion. I work wth a woman who recently told me about a jury she was on in NYC, over ten years ago. Short: guy pulled over or minor traffic violation, LEO's think they see "something shiny" in the back seat. Instead, they find a knife in the glove box so he's off to the pokey. Guy claimed he had it for work, though it was a weekend night out. She felt the search wasn't legal and that putting the guy in jail had zero benefit to society, but with the way they (the jury) were instructed and what they were allowed to consider, she had no choice. Even if you do beat the charges, you've lost weeks or months of your life and spent a fortune. That said, and back to the OP, on my long walking commute in NYC, I keep it concealed, mind my own business, am polite to everyone, and have never in 10 years had more than a friendly "hello" nod with the police. That will probably be your experience too, but be careful.

If you find yourself discussing precise technical interpretations with the police and quibbling over quarter inches, you're already having a bad day. Think hard about how much blade you REALLY need to carry. Unless you're wearing a big backpack with a mess of camping gear and are on your way to the train station to head up to the Adirondacks, I think you'd have a hard time justifying that Nyala to an LEO, or a jury. That's my opinion. I work wth a woman who recently told me about a jury she was on in NYC, over ten years ago. Short: guy pulled over or minor traffic violation, LEO's think they see "something shiny" in the back seat. Instead, they find a knife in the glove box so he's off to the pokey. Guy claimed he had it for work, though it was a weekend night out. She felt the search wasn't legal and that putting the guy in jail had zero benefit to society, but with the way they (the jury) were instructed and what they were allowed to consider, she had no choice. Even if you do beat the charges, you've lost weeks or months of your life and spent a fortune. That said, and back to the OP, on my long walking commute in NYC, I keep it concealed, mind my own business, am polite to everyone, and have never in 10 years had more than a friendly "hello" nod with the police. That will probably be your experience too, but be careful.

May I know what blade length you carry in NYC?

It kind of amuses me that people travelling to places with strict knife laws seem to want to push the limit of the law. You won't have any drama if you were to pack a basic folder with less than 4 inch blade that requires 2 hands to open. I believe NYC has a 4inch limit, which is large for cities with strict laws. Most other stricter cities seem to have a 3.5 inch and some is 3 inch.

The largest I'll carry is a GEC stockman with a 2.5 inch blade. But that's only if I'm go to or coming from work. Other times, it's something like a Peanut, under 2 inches. I'm a trad slipjoint fan.

It kind of amuses me that people travelling to places with strict knife laws seem to want to push the limit of the law. You won't have any drama if you were to pack a basic folder with less than 4 inch blade that requires 2 hands to open. I believe NYC has a 4inch limit, which is large for cities with strict laws. Most other stricter cities seem to have a 3.5 inch and some is 3 inch.

I've actually heard of police detaining and taking people into custody over the most basic of folders because of the vague definition written on gravity knives.

I'm not " pushing any limits " and will most likely just forgo the whole thing and keep it for when I return back upstate.

Ive heard by quite a few fixed blade concealed is the safest way to go. Is 3.75 pushing it? Possibly that aspect is yes, which is why I won't be taking it after some consideration.

I've actually heard of police detaining and taking people into custody over the most basic of folders because of the vague definition written on gravity knives.

I'm not " pushing any limits " and will most likely just forgo the whole thing and keep it for when I return back upstate.

Ive heard by quite a few fixed blade concealed is the safest way to go. Is 3.75 pushing it? Possibly that aspect is yes, which is why I won't be taking it after some consideration.

A basic traditional won't be mistaken for a gravity knife unless it's worn out and the spring is loose or really worn. I've never seen any brand of traditional that badly worn, only heard of it.
The problems occur with OHO knives. Those inherently have less spring tension and cops have been known to shake the hell out of them to get the blade to move and then declare them gravity knives. Basically any knife with a decent spring that's not OHO and within size requirements should be alright.

i work in NYC 5 days a week
only carry a swiss army knife, a spyderco uk pen knife , or a smaller blade case pocket knife

those are the only legal blades you can carry

i work in NYC 5 days a week
only carry a swiss army knife, a spyderco uk pen knife , or a smaller blade case pocket knife

those are the only legal blades you can carry

i live and work here too. i know it's ridiculous, but, i'm a little uneasy carrying a UKPK just because of the look. if the cop is in a bad mood, or you rub him/her the wrong way, they can cite you for carrying with intent to harm for ANY knife whether it's legal or not. given, if it's a legal knife, you can have it dropped or reduced to a fine in court, but who wants either of those.

in the end, swiss army knives and traditional slip joints are our best bet

here's the my murderous edc

XUMh4iK.jpg

Back