Off Topic NYC

MacLaren1

Gold Member
So, am really hoping we have some New Yorkers on board. We are planning a trip to the big apple in December.
My wife would like to stay in Midtown
Any suggestions? We would like to be close to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc.
Any suggestion on a good place to stay that wont totally break the bank. We plan to stay 3 nights.
Any help would be greatly appreciated gang!!

My best advice/suggestion would be to stay North of W44st and East of 8th ave, even if it costs a few dollars more. Ideally search for a hotel on 7th ave or Broadway between W45th street and W50th street, that will put you within walking distance of Rockefeller center ( the tree ), the theatre district, Restaurant row, Radio City Music Hall and a bunch of site seeing options. Always plenty of foot Cops in the area and more so during the Holiday season. I always liked the Marriot on W45 and B'way, but I haven't been there in some time so I would research it. Meals are costly in the City, so if you can find a place that includes breakfast, grab it. Duffy square is also right there and they had a booth ( sure they still do ) that sells B'way show tickets half off for the day of some plays that didn't sell out.. Hope this helps ;)

My best advice/suggestion would be to stay North of W44st and East of 8th ave, even if it costs a few dollars more. Ideally search for a hotel on 7th ave or Broadway between W45th street and W50th street, that will put you within walking distance of Rockefeller center ( the tree ), the theatre district, Restaurant row, Radio City Music Hall and a bunch of site seeing options. Always plenty of foot Cops in the area and more so during the Holiday season. I always liked the Marriot on W45 and B'way, but I haven't been there in some time so I would research it. Meals are costly in the City, so if you can find a place that includes breakfast, grab it. Duffy square is also right there and they had a booth ( sure they still do ) that sells B'way show tickets half off for the day of some plays that didn't sell out.. Hope this helps ;)
Big help. Thank you!!
Yes, she was looking at 7th Avenue

All I can say is that NYC is crazy in December, but definitely worth it. I hope you guys get lucky and it snows! Btw you need to make dinner reservations asap because all the big name places will be 100% booked up.

MacLaren1 MacLaren1 Alright... So, see if you can get a room at the Residence Inn Manhattan/Central Park - At 750 feet high, it is the tallest hotel in North America. I stayed there several times and, in the right room ;), it could be spectacular...
Just make sure that you book at the Res. Inn and not the Courtyard, the building contains both hotels, but the Res. Inn has the floors from 40th to 64 -65ish . The hotel is on Broadway, a few blocks from Times Square and a few blocks from Rockefeller Center.

Also, as JACKMANDU JACKMANDU said above, try the Pizza. A good place, if not the best, would be John's of Times Square pizzeria - it's pretty amazing!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ;)..

Cheers,
C.

Last edited:
Be prepared to pay a hefty price for the hotel. Having work take me to NYC over the past # of years, the price of rooms in Dec seems to be double the rest of the year. And, the closer to Christmas / New Years, it gets even higher.

Hells Kitchen (9th Ave) has some great restaurants at good prices.

The Doubletree times square is a suites hotel, so if you have kids, there is a pull out bed in the sofa, and a separate bedroom. Great location - but can be loud with all the sirens, etc - but that is true of any NYC hotel.

I prefer to stay a little south in the Chelsea area (26th-30th St). It is close to Penn Station and an easy walk to Times Square from there, and a little quieter, less expensive.

Hey MacLaren,

Wish I had more accommodation info for you. I live in midtown and have never had a reason to check out the hotel/event situation. However if you have any general NYC questions I'd love to help. Also, if you post here or PM me with things you are interested in ie, museums, food (fancy/not fancy), theater (Broadway/off broadway), neighborhoods to walk (hip vs touristy), etc, or we can email, I'll do my best.

Haven't been to NYC in over 20 years, but everything I read says that most (all?) of the restaurants in Times Square are low-quality tourist traps.

Haven't been to NYC in over 20 years, but everything I read says that most (all?) of the restaurants in Times Square are low-quality tourist traps.

So, as mentioned earlier ( I think? ) head to Hells Kitchen for a good place?
I do however, want to go to Brooklyn and eat at Peter Lugar's Steak House.

"Peter Luger Steak House does not accept any credit cards at either Brooklyn or Great Neck locations.
Accepted forms of payment are the Peter Luger Card, US checks with ID, US debit cards and cash."

Lombardi's Pizza in Little Italy would be a cool stop. 1st pizza place in America. They're so old school they don't even cut the pie in slices. Super good and a cool experience.

Don't forget Smith & Wollenski's on the corner of 49th and 3rd as well. It's a good standby.

And then there's Lombardi's, supposedly the very first Pizza place in the country. We had lunch there with a couple of friends and it was a good experience. If for nothing but to say we've eaten at the first Pizza place in the history of the country.

Go find seriouseats.com . Besides the really good (kitchen-tested recipes), they have restaurant/neighborhood guides. They are located in the city and eat there daily. Jealous over here, if we were going to NYC, I would spend a ton of time researching food and shops.

Enjoy!

Back