Off Topic NYC

The Sparks Steakhouse suggestion above is on-point; personally, I always found Luger's overrated, but both are objectively good.

If nothing else, go to Gramercy Tavern; do the bar/front room seating (casual, walk in only, no reservations accepted). The same superlative, wood-fired oven kitchen services both that area and the fancy, higher-priced formal dining room. I enjoy both, but honestly the casual side of the house is better.

[Edit:] You're going to pay through the nose for a hotel, whether it's something decent, something trashy, or something excellent. Take a look at the Lowell over on East 63rd - yes, it's expensive and old fashioned, but it's also beautiful, has working fireplaces in the rooms, has service you won't find at NYC hotels twice the price...and is right next door to Club Macanudo, which has excellent cigars, Laphroaig 30, and the best cuban sandwich I've ever eaten.[/Edit]

Last edited:
When I read things like “$600 a night”

All I think is 1500 rounds of Malaysian 7.62x51, 3000 rounds of Golden Tiger 7.62x39......and 2 nights.....that’s another FAL.

I used to think that too. Now I think $600 for a hotel room is a lot cheaper than the bigger house I'd need if I kept buying guns and ammo.

Gosh guys. I really wanna thank you all for all the great advice and tips!!
We truly do appreciate it!!
You all make this such a great forum to belong to.

Having a lovely time in this truly INCREDIBLE city.
Thanx to all who helped. Its truly appreciated!
20191221-173355.jpg

Niceee. I was up at Virgil's BBQ last weekend for my sister's birthday. We checked out the tree at Rockefeller Center that night too. Besides Thanksgiving, I've never seen the city that crowded. It was even more so than other years. It was amazing seeing people from all over the world enjoying the holiday together and New Yorkers acting half decent lol.

What all have you done so far?

So, as mentioned earlier ( I think? ) head to Hells Kitchen for a good place?
I do however, want to go to Brooklyn and eat at Peter Lugar's Steak House.

Whatever you do, don’t order anything well done, they’ll smack you.....and the food and service is fantastic.

n2s

Niceee. I was up at Virgil's BBQ last weekend for my sister's birthday. We checked out the tree at Rockefeller Center that night too. Besides Thanksgiving, I've never seen the city that crowded. It was even more so than other years. It was amazing seeing people from all over the world enjoying the holiday together and New Yorkers acting half decent lol.

What all have you done so far?

Ya know, I believe it gets much busier the closer it gets to Christmas. That being said, we arrived Thursday at lunchtime. Came out at 34th St. We went to the hotel first to drop off our luggage, then walked up to Bryant Park, to do some ice skating. Later that evening, we had reservations at Virgils, but for some reason we missed our reservations!
We then went to New Amsterdam theater to see Aladdin. My wife and little girl loved it. I was impressed. Very good show. The next day Friday, we started by going to the Upper East Side, with a Horse and Buggy ride in Central Park. After that and lunch, and my goodness was Friday so crowded!! Especially that evening at Rockefeller Center!!
You could forget getting into F.A.O. Schwartz or getting a table at a restaurant. Super Busy. St. Patrick's Cathedral is so beautiful, got to see it.
Of course, I'm leaving stuff out for brevity, but we have had an awesome time! Yesterday we had a really good tour of Greenwich Village, SOHO, Little Italy, Chinatown and the Financial District. We at at an Irish Bar, O'hara's. I really enjoyed that.
We then took the Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. Went over to Brooklyn to check out the Bridge, back to Times Square again, ( just incredible Times Square) oh! The first night, after Aladdin, we had desert at Juniors. That cheesecake is awesome!
Then, after milling around Times Square we had a late dinner reservation at Carmines.
This morning we're getting ready to fly back home.
So much I have left out of course, but we have had such a great time. I cant say enough about the 911 Memorial. At any rate, New York City is certainly a City worth seeing.

Yeah FAO Schwartz had a line around the block when I walked by. That's very cool that you got to walk around inside St. Patrick's Cathedral. The stone work inside of there is top notch and crazy beautiful. Glad to hear that you saw Little Italy and Grenwich Village, both unique and fun. Plus the Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 Memorial, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, and Carmines haha! Sounds like you are seeing everything. Good for you man!

Yeah FAO Schwartz had a line around the block when I walked by. That's very cool that you got to walk around inside St. Patrick's Cathedral. The stone work inside of there is top notch and crazy beautiful. Glad to hear that you saw Little Italy and Grenwich Village, both unique and fun. Plus the Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 Memorial, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, and Carmines haha! Sounds like you are seeing everything. Good for you man!

Lol, thank you and, honestly, that ain't the half of it.
We are freakin wasted. We saw so much in 3 days..
It was just incredible and, I cannot wait to go back!
Just a marvelous city. Times Square is a marvel.
p.s. I loved Juniors Cheesecake.

Back