O.K. Bicycle riders lets see your bikes

Any suggestions for a first mountain bike (within the last decade at least) for a roadie? Bunch of guys from work that used to ride mtb are picking up new bikes and hitting the trails instead of the road. I'm looking at something a few years old, with full suspension thats not a total brick at around $12-1500, don't know what to look at and my buddies are all going for far fancier builds.

It depends on what kind of trails you ride and how you want to ride them. But my guess is it's pretty much typical northeast, rocks and roots with short steep climbs. Similar to my trails 1 state over.
I'd look for something in the 120mm to 150mm travel range with a semi-slack geometry, maybe 68-69 degrees head tube angle. And with those rocks and roots I'd recommend 27.5 or 29 inch wheels for an easier rollover.
In your price range you're looking at used so maybe Craigslist or Ebay?? I bought mt Santa Cruz carbon Highball and my Superlight 29 both on Ebay with good results.
My Superlight is a great bike but I find that I'm pushing it harder than its design intended at times and will eventually get something slacker with longer travel. I've got to break this one first and despite my best efforts I think I'll wear out first honestly.

My Superlight 29 a couple days ago.

JELIUhN.jpg

Thanks, that all sounds spot on. Definitely going to be craigslist, ebay, or the bike forums if I get lucky.

Picking up this old fella at 4pm to give this mountain bike business a try.

00707_fYwwLKypa1k_600x450.jpg

The plan is to upgrade next year sometime as funds permit as its far from ideal but the price spoke to my wallet.

Picking up this old fella at 4pm to give this mountain bike business a try.

00707_fYwwLKypa1k_600x450.jpg

The plan is to upgrade next year sometime as funds permit as its far from ideal but the price spoke to my wallet.

That'll work just fine to get your feet wet and you probably won't lose much money on resale to fund a new bike.
Have fun!

The mongoose fat bike in the first post of this thread Was an impulse by off the clearance Isle . Which I should have known better than by a bike from a big box store. With the mods I made and buying it at clearance. I was able to get my money back. I still wanted a fat tire bike but, didn't want to spend a grand plus .. After much studying I ordered this from bikes direct. It is a much better bike than the mongoose
NCM_0252_zps6kqj0e0c.jpg

Do Gravity bikes run big? I saw the Bikes Direct sizing chart for Gravity fat bikes & 29er's & I would have to buy about 2 sizes down from what I would "normally" ride. I realize that sizing can be very brand & even bike specific.

Random thought of my ride in: Why has no one made an indexed seatpost? Just a standard seatpost with a notch cut up the length, and a post to fit it in the seat-tube or clamp to keep it from spinning or not being straight. It'd make quick height adjustments hugely faster.

Road the Stumpy in today after fixing it up over the weekend, totally forgot how slow 26" wheels spin along.

Random thought of my ride in: Why has no one made an indexed seatpost? Just a standard seatpost with a notch cut up the length, and a post to fit it in the seat-tube or clamp to keep it from spinning or not being straight. It'd make quick height adjustments hugely faster.

Road the Stumpy in today after fixing it up over the weekend, totally forgot how slow 26" wheels spin along.

More chance of galling or seizing and no being able to twist it free.

Shaping the tube makes it way stiffer and uncomfortable; on my road bike with an CF aero post it's completely harsh.

Some riders acutely require a slight twist in the seat to suit their anatomy instead of having the nose right at 12:00.

More expense and complexity in manufacturing the post and seat tube interface.

Not to be overly contrary here, but:

Currently dropper seatposts sell for anywhere between $100 - $400, if "they" can figure that out they could easy have made an indexed post. I've had aero posts before on road bikes and actually thought it was softer feeling, but thats really subjective.

A dropper post isn't for everyone. So would be a indexed, or aero, or hexagonal, or rectangular post.

So do you make everyone pay $400 extra for the bikes or do you just leave it as an option that those who want can add and those who don't won't?

Of course with the bike industry being what it is there are small frame builders and parts makers everywhere. I"m sure you could find someone out there to build you a frame with a post like that.

As a side note the highlight of a dropper post is that you can drop and raise it on the fly. No need to stop and move the post. That's a huge plus.

Do Gravity bikes run big? I saw the Bikes Direct sizing chart for Gravity fat bikes & 29er's & I would have to buy about 2 sizes down from what I would "normally" ride. I realize that sizing can be very brand & even bike specific.
I am 5'10" I usually ride 54cm-56cm on road bikes My old Univega mountain bike is a 19 in and is close to being to small I ordered the 19in and it is as big as I would want . So yes it seems big for a 19in Frame
Roy

Pretty massive upgrade: 2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy Al:

That old Spesh ended up being an 01 S-works FSR XC, good bike after some work but night and day vs the Tallboy.

been racing track for 10+ years now, here are the race rigs
4660530194_414327275f_o_zpsfiltc8oo.jpg

5614790543_80271d49d3_b_zps48fbbaef.jpg

cyclocross season is here and here is the beater race rig. probably will be in the market for a new cx bike soon, but this guy's been just fine for getting muddy for quite a few seasons.
newCXbike.jpg

Barman, nice Trek! Those trails look familiar, is that in Saratoga? I used a ride a ton over at SMBA when i had more time and lived closer.

^ that's a full healthy looking muStache

Barman, nice Trek! Those trails look familiar, is that in Saratoga? I used a ride a ton over at SMBA when i had more time and lived closer.

Thanks!
It's the 2016 Stache 9 and I'm loving it. Maybe a little rougher riding than my FS but I'm getting used to it before it becomes my snow bike. Then the rougher ride is good for circulation. :D

Good eye. That was taken Friday on the Daniels Road trails.
I'm on there everyday possible trying to make my season mileage goal on those trails. Only a few to go. :thumbup:

Here's a shot that got the trail marker.
Should bring back some memories.

m4VaLMc.jpg

Back