O.K. Bicycle riders lets see your bikes

Built this sscx and have been having a blast. Ride to work and stop off for some packed singletrack on the way home.
83b1d327cc12120ba05bf0c34eabc2ee.jpg
a7a14e30d7b30f6e5ab293d738aa1271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoy this Co-Motion Americana.
I've rode it across the USA three times...on the Southern Tier, the Trans Am and the Northern Tier.
It's also taken me lots of shorter rides...the Blue Ridge Pkwy, Shenandoah, C&O Canal, Allegheny Trail, Natchez Trace and around Florida to Keys.

ZJ8lwkq.jpg

There's a lot of roads to ride.....

GS8wltf.jpg

Impressive riding! Did you do all that with platform pedals? No straps or clipless?

Impressive riding! Did you do all that with platform pedals? No straps or clipless?

Thanks!

I used clipless on the Trans Am riding west, then got from Florence, OR to Anacortes, WA and rode the Northern Tier east with clipless.
The balls of my feet hurt so bad when I was done that I put MKS Lambda Platform pedals on for all the riding after that and will never go back to clipless.
The next year I rode the Southern Tier from San Diego, CA to St Augustine, FL with the platform pedals and loved them.
I ride platforms everywhere I go now when I'm touring.

Getting this spare parts build together for the wife, 46cm Vitus frame that still fits 700 wheels. Hodge-podge of components, campy wheels and record 10sp cassette, Dura-ace rear derailleur, suntour down tube shifters, dia-compe brakes, and lots of other things I had laying around. Still need a few things for it though.

20160817_204635_zpsczvh9v13.jpg

-Xander

Thanks!

I used clipless on the Trans Am riding west, then got from Florence, OR to Anacortes, WA and rode the Northern Tier east with clipless.
The balls of my feet hurt so bad when I was done that I put MKS Lambda Platform pedals on for all the riding after that and will never go back to clipless.
The next year I rode the Southern Tier from San Diego, CA to St Augustine, FL with the platform pedals and loved them.
I ride platforms everywhere I go now when I'm touring.

Eric, I'm heading in the same direction as Stumps.

I rode Seattle->Boston back in the 80s when fast14riots Vitus was still the new thing and used Detto Peitro (art 39s?) and toe clips. I'm so retro on bikes it's crazy but I have zero good memories with toe clips. IMO, toe clips and the old clipless platform pedals from the 60s and 70s were the absolute worst and the only place they belong is on period correct restorations.

IMO, BMX flats are infinitely better than toe clips. They take a period of adjustment when sprinting to not pull your foot off of the pedal, but they encourage better spinning and once you make the adjustment, there are massive, massive benefits, especially for touring and commuting as you can wear real walking shoes and still get great riding performance. I've had them on my commuter/all-rounder/tourer for nearly 10 years and like Stumps, I won't be going back.

Back to Peaks by Pinnah, on Flickr

My "go-fast" sport tourer is still set up with Speedplay Frog clipless. IMO, the choice between a good floating clipless system and BMX pedals depends on how you ride and where you want to accrue your over use injuries.

If you ride competitively and need to sprint and climb with abandon, then modern clipless are the obvious choice. But, they tend to concentrate forces on the ball of my foot. I have 3 neuromas in my feet. One has been surgically removed and I'm planning on having a second injected with alcohol in a hope of killing the nerve. I don't ride competitively but still enjoy a nice fast work out on the bike regularly but this past year, I'm getting to the point where the fun of hard sprinting literally isn't worth the pain I live with in my feet. I XC ski and hike and cycling should help those things, not hurt them.

For touring and commuting riding where I don't sprint, I hugely prefer BMX flats. A guy I know from a (fantastic) cycling list has tried to use BMX flats for long event rides like centuries and rando riding and reports that he got knee problem. The issue is, just like back in the day before floating clipless pedals, if your foot isn't well lined up you can get bad knee pain as the connective tissue gets stressed. The tendency with BMX flats is that they grip so well that I can end up "locking" my foot in place on the pedal without being aware of it. Yes, you *can* move your foot on the pedal but I find it takes deliberate thought. I've never had knee issues with full floating pedals like the Frogs, so that's a trade-off. But again, I'm in a stage of life where a 2 hour ride is a long one and it will be several years before I have the time to work back up to century length days. So, BMX flats make more and more sense for me.

OH... the great cycling list is the Internet-BOB list, where BOB is short for Bridgestone Owners Bunch. i-BOB is the continuation of a newsletter/owners group formed by Grant Peterson (of Rivendell fame) when he worked for Bridgestone. The focus of the group is practical cycling. Lots of touring, commuting and rando discussions. BMX pedals, fenders and lights are all welcome there. Google "internet BOB" and you'll find it.

Last edited:
Xander went retro on us so I thought I'd share some thing that is full retro. This is a "barn find" that I cleaned up and left almost exactly "as found". I put a period correct Belt saddle on it replacing some horrid 90s gel and Lycra blob that was on it. The first owner replaced the tires and I don't think the bar tape is original. Everything else is, right down to the cable clips. Serial number puts this as a 1980 model.

P1010001 by Pinnah, on Flickr

This was still a fully handmade frame made from Ishawata Cr-Mo. Fuji was starting to make machine brazed "Mangalloy" frames (sold by Fuji under the Valite name) around this time, but their top end frames were still hand made. The lug work on this one is very clean.
P1010034 by Pinnah, on Flickr

Luckily, this one is 52cm center to center and not even close to my size, so I don't have to struggle with the ride it or keep it decision. I should really find a new home for it and let somebody else struggle with that.

Impressive bikes everyone:thumbup:

I rode alot 20yrs back, saw mountain biking in its somewhat infant stage. Now this is my Trek old man bike for urban riding only (maybe a gravel road once in a blue moon) my kids tease me about my old man bike. I only manage 5 miles a day. For fitness sake I reduce coasting to a minimum.

This Trek is old, comfortable as all get out and provides me with some sort of fitness for a former athlete. Quite simply I love to ride it.

iLtmhJ.jpg

paulhilborn, as long as you love to ride it, that's all that matters. It looks very um.....comfortable. :friendly_wink: My nephew recently borrowed my circa 1999 Giant TCR 2R road bike and took my kickstand off (which I installed last year). Man, I got pissed!

New guy here, but have been a bike nut for 30 years plus. I need to figure out how to post pics, but I have a older Sanata Cruz Chameleon hardtail, the old handmade ones, that I have setup as a single gear. Beautiful polished frame with gorgeous welds... a little rough these days on the trails compared to the full suspension bikes I got used to.

Hello Lorien, is that a machete or sword on your bike?

is it a sword? is it a machete?

it's the North Sword!

my design, made by Dan Keffeler

Wheel upgrade! Got some i9s for the Tallboy, can't wait to ride them.
6484e4ba3805a6245b90665e0b343818.jpg

This is a sweet ride.

Thanks! Took them a while to get me a frame to me that wasn't damaged in shipping but it's definitely been worth the wait.

Love that crosscheck, what size tires can it fit?

Back