O:T: Taking depression out of wood guitar

I think we have a musical instrument maker in forum and a lot of people who work with wood so I,m asking it here .This is an accoustic guitar . It goes by the name Seagull guitars , S , series.
Its last years model as they are upgrading by curving the top/front of the guitar . This guitar appears to have an oil rubbed finish in that it is not shiny at all like a laquer finish . I realise there may be some kind of poly plasticky or satin finish on there . It is not apparent . The store owner claims the front is cedar . On the internet site it says cedar/cherry or spruce . The back is two pieces joined together . The body is supposedly wild cherry and it has a pinkish look like cherry has sometimes . It is on the body that there is a slight depression about 3/4 of an inch long by 1/4 inch wide . It is not deep at all and the sides of the depression are rounded so I don,t think wood has been crushed . Can it be coaxed out ? If I remove finish or change its color I might as well live with it The reason I want this guitar is the price is very good ,it has a nice sound and a narrow neck which I like cause I have small hands . Its also a lefty which is a little harder to come by .

Since it is that slight I wouldn't give it a second thought. It won't hurt anything and the fix is rather involved and can be quite expensive if done professionally. One of our daughter's mates has worked for years in the guitar industry both playing and in repairs.

First advice: Talk to a professional.

On old guns, a damp cloth and a heat source, i.e., iron, will bring out some dents in the wood. But, gun stocks and resonant woods are not the same thing.

See first advice.

Taking the depression out of a wooden guitar is playing the Blues.

munk

On a serious note, I have a hawian (sic) guitar that I wanted restored. I talked to a big Music House on the Eastern Seaboard, and the guy there knew about my guitar even though it was 90 years old. Anyway, as a caution, before I did anything on a guitar, I would check with experts.

Why?

Because everything I thought I knew about wood was void. Standard oils were verbotten. So if you want to take out a dent, ask the guitar gods.

munk

munk said:
Taking the depression out of a wooden guitar is playing the Blues.
munk

Oh dats a bad one ,

Really dats a sad one .

If dats de blues ?

I gots more soul in my shoes !

Seriously on my own part . I think the issue here may be is not just the slight cosmetic imperfection . It is the fragile nature of this guitar in particular . Its a nice model with a slim neck and it tapers up to a radius behind the keys . I actually like the finish . The soft oil finished look is common amongst folk guitars made locally . I don,t know if this contributes to their mellow tone .I know that while I treat it with respect it will get dinged and with a soft finish/surface it will get damaged all the more . I may look around more . I won,t get this good adeal or as liberal terms . The only stipulation made by the owner is that I meet him at midnight at a certain crossroads ....... Oh yes , he wants me to do this on halloween eve .

munk said:
Kevin the Grey follows Robert Johnson into ....Hell?
Naw.

munk

REPLY : I would follow Mr. Johnson into into Wal-mart for some guitar strings maybe ! No , wait a minute , those long lines ? This is Hell ! L:O:L

Walmart is a good analogy for hell. You're there because you think you're getting a 'good deal', when actually you and your entire community are having your throats slit. You smile while you're there, as if you enjoy the experience. With each item into the basket there's one more nail in your coffin.

munk

munk said:
Walmart is a good analogy for hell. You're there because you think you're getting a 'good deal', when actually you and your entire community are having your throats slit. You smile while you're there, as if you enjoy the experience. With each item into the basket there's one more nail in your coffin.

munk

Personally their price slashing commercials should include the prices they raise to make up for it . There is one right near my favourite store . Canadian tire . Its kinda like a western auto . I,m hoping Wal-mart would shake the cobwebs out at Canadian tire as they have gone downhill . The only thing they have a little bit better are faster cashes . I,m not that much in a hurry . I think 15 minutes of my life in a lineup is 15 minutes I could be flinging my Kukuuri or shooting my bow .

munk said:

munk

Exactly! Well said. Would that more people realize that reality. However I believe that the massive change that is being manifested by the Wall Marts and Harbor Freights is unfortunately inevitable. The way of life our parents knew is gone forever. I am no economist, but a world-wide econcomy seems to me to work to average standards of living across the board. So the Chinese have their standard of living raised, and our is lowered.

There is not an American company in existance that can manufacture and sell a set of 3 pipe wrenches of usable quality in 12", 10" and 8" lengths with a combined weight of close to 10 pounds of solid iron, and ship them 12,000 miles, and give a lifetime warranty on them, for $9.99. And yet the Chinese can do it. I have seen this at Harbor Freight. That brought the reality of the issue home to me as no words could.

The competing Craftsman wrenches clearly have a better fit and finish, but do pretty much the same thing and cost about 8 times more for the set.

I have no idea how to fix the problem...

Norm

The competing Craftsman wrenches clearly have a better fit and finish, but do pretty much the same thing and cost about 8 times more for the set.

I have no idea how to fix the problem...

Norm[/QUOTE]

Money talks and a billion consumers with a lower standard of living are gonna go hog wild in the next ten years . There won,t be any competing with that . The only thing you can do is change your way of life . This can have the same effect as not lowering your standard of living . You don,t need as much cash if you don,t buy as much . I have learned just how much effort it takes to make a piece of leather by trying to make my own . This allows me to not have to buy any leather archery gear and so free up that money for basic needs . I,m learning to make my own arrows/bows/shelter direct from tree to me . This saves me about half my budget for archery/camping related products .For close to fifty years I invested in a consumer driven economy . All I got for my efforts is stress and a pants waistline that could make a tent . Now I try to invest in myself and my family . Sure I still think a DVD home theater is just great . I just tend to watch it a little less and stay in the woods a little more.

Back