O1 Trail Master

Interesting that CS has not renewed efforts to use 52100 in the new Trailmasters, Carbon V was very similar to 52100.

I'm pretty happy to see O1 being offered, while nonscientific I've had good luck with the stuff, and appreciate it's performance it's given me. O1 is having some presence in Asia with CRKT, and CS adding it to the lineup, good to see it. From a marketing perspective, I think it will add interest in the knives, seeing as many people stateside recognize this american steel. I've wanted a TM, but SK-5, while serviceable, just doesn't interest me as much as O1 which I recognize, and have more experience with. I just might purchase a Trail Master now.

How about we take a step back and compare current market costs of the steels mentioned (CPM-3V, 52100-mod) vs. 01.

CS has a particular price point they're trying to meet and 3V didn't qualify (material is currently too expensive). Probably in the future as a lot of steel foundries are making 3V analogs.

I'm in for an O1 one! It's a time-proven steel for tough applications.... should be great for the Trailmaster :)

How about we take a step back and compare current market costs of the steels mentioned (CPM-3V, 52100-mod) vs. 01.

CS has a particular price point they're trying to meet and 3V didn't qualify (material is currently too expensive). Probably in the future as a lot of steel foundries are making 3V analogs.

I'm in for an O1 one! It's a time-proven steel for tough applications.... should be great for the Trailmaster :)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/929364-O1-tool-steel-for-knives

Any idea of the release date on their O1 knives?

I have a burning need for a Recon Scout in O1.

We'll be making a rolling change-over to 0-1 so you will gradually see those knives appear on the market over the next few months

Okay Cold Steel, you've got my attention. Once these release, you'll have my money too! Nothing against SK5, I just didn't prefer it. O1 on the other hand? Yeah... that'll be joining my legion.

Now if you decide to expand the Warcraft line and make a couple drop points or clip points in 3V, my wallet will have to run and hide!

San Mai TM , Better edge holding for longer periods....some say finicky to sharpen...
SK-5 TM, Less edge holding periods...easier to maintain a sharp edge in the field..
Nice job on the rehandling and guard DB !!
Thanks for sharing that..

CMP3V with an SRK/Recon Tanto handle, even better a Zytel Handle similar to SRK

Oh yeah, I second that! Although I may just get one of the SK-5 models if the price is right, when I get the cash. SK-5 is lower carbon, and I suspect at the hardness Cold Steel gave it, tougher than O-1, at least that is my opinion. O-1 has around .95-1.00% carbon, SK-5 has .75-.85% I know I'm real close. I prefer toughness in such a long blade, it was designed for battle and such they say. I really wish Cold Steel would make a collaboration Bowie with Bill Bagwell, that would be the ultimate bowie. Anyone else think so? Let's get enough people to say "yes" and maybe Cold Steel will listen!

Back