Octagonal Shirasaya Tantos

Was referred here from general discussion. I'm trying to find good quality octagonal shirasaya tantos. Any thoughts?

My thought is, you will need to be more specific.

For starters genuine nihonto or reproductions ??

*Never mind, read your original post.
Isn't good quality Chinese reproductions somewhat of an oxymoron?

Last edited:
Well, I'm not a China basher. I don't see what I want from particular sellers with lots of feedback, but they exist. China to me, is in a transitional phase where some manufacturers are seeing money to be made in higher quality items in exports.

If you were to look at the amount of Chinese, it could be assumed that some are tired of making shit products and would like to take a bit of pride in what they do.

All that said, if you know of genuine nihonto worth paying attention to, I'd appreciate it as much.

I like how simple they are, how the octagonal style reminds me of traditional nunchaku, and on a tanto specifically, the tsuba seems a bit obtuse.

Thanks for those, I'll check 'em out

Oh man, I guess that will drive me back over to the Chinese stuff lest you know of some cheaper Japanese stuff. I can't drop that kind of cash at this point in life lol. I'd be good with a differentially treated mono-steel at this size. Either that or some resources on the construction/dimensions of these so I could attempt my own.

Yeah my brother showed me some of their stuff. Looks pretty decent. Really trying to find one that has those flats cut into it though, they look good imo

You may be missing the intent of storage pajamas, or shirasaya for blades. As far as the flats go, it would be a fairly easy project, if you have to emulate the look. If you have no woodworking skills, start with turning a round stick into an octagonal one. Making a shirasaya isn't exactly rocket science but start with exploring Japanese swords beyond retail sales. ie, study a subject that interests you. Something as simple a search as "making a shirasaya".

Read everything at this link below and all links presented there. Write us an essay on shirasaya once you have read everything. Report back. You will be graded.
https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/

eBay, I am sure might be a place to look as well.

Cheers
GC

I understand. Aesthetically though, I like them. And I may make one but I don't have the time right now and won't for months, hence the want to buy. I still appreciate the resources and will give 'em a go anyhow

I cranked this out in a couple of hours, scraping with a single edge utility razor blade. It had been rectangular. I shaved it to four separate sections of facets, 8 at the head then 16 in the middle, then 12 and then 6 at the grip.
monsta2.jpg
monsta1.jpg
IWvwqNP.jpg

bqWxvoX.jpg

Probably hard to see but something I did while watching tv. Wood is easy to push around.

The Kris Cutlery, or for that matter many with an oval cross section could be easily carved/planed, scraped to whatever shape you desire. In this case it started out as a section of wheelbarrow handle.

Cheers
GC

An axe handle from the hardware store would be an excellent blank for a first try. Or...... Kriscutlery also used to sell a viking sax knife that was octagonal, in both finished and unfinished wood. It may not be a tanto, but they are affordable at a decent quality and the unfinished one is a blank slate. They come back in stock from time to time, so you have to keep your eyes open.

Back