Of Puukkos and Danglers

I've kept a Moraknive 'Companion' in each of my vehicles for some time because I got them dirt cheap on sale at the time. Never really thought much about Scandinavian blades in general or puukkos in particular... until lately. (Actually, I never really liked the 'dangler' sheath arrangement for most puukkos, either.) But, I think I've contracted the 'Puukko Virus'!
It began slowly. I purchased a HELLE Les Stroud 'Kamigami'. Carried it hunting a few times. Even field-dressed a deer using it. I was astounded that it was still shaving sharp once I had finished! (Although the sheath wasn't a 'dangler' I didn't like it much. The HELLE has since found a home in an unused Bark River pouch sheath.) Since re-homing the HELLE in another sheath I fell in love with it and wear it daily around the place. It caused me to look closer at these puukkos. Some of your photos here even fueled the interest. Before long I had an ENZO/Brila 75 riding in my pants pocket... curly birch scales, of course. Then yesterday I received the Ahti 'Kaato' I ordered. It arrived in its 'dangler' and I've been wearing it around. I finally see the utilitarian advantages to a dangler sheath. I like it! Even used the Ahti for kitchen prep work last night just to get a feel for it and it did great.

I have reached the conclusion that for the money its hard to beat the quality, workmanship, and value of these puukkos knives. The tough Sumi people found a tool that performed well in their harsh environment. The knives work just as well in our less harsh environment. I think I'l but a few more!

I got interested in the style and made one for myself. On my first try I found fitting the handle junction closely on the rhomboid blade profile to be a challenge.
I bought one from Jelio who posts them frequently in the Custom and Handmade section.
He is a master of this style and can make one in your choice of materials in a few months.
Mine is in M4 steel at 62 HRC.
These are his pictures of my knife.
zCuJyFh.jpg

Somebody else posted this on Bladeforums quite some time ago -- still great commentary:

‘Puukko’ is a Finnish term. It’s a derivative of ‘puu’ which means wood. A puukko is, first and foremost, a wood carving tool (we have a special term for that, ‘vuoleminen’, the root verb being ‘vuolla’, which comes close to whittling or wood carving, but denotes specifically the use of the blade for push-cuts, not slicing or slashing). Other ‘necessary’ uses of a puukko have to do with fishing and hunting, i.e., scaling, skinning, filleting, and other such tasks in preparing fish and game. Skilled users do about everything with a puukko, though. Once it was thought that a boy really doesn’t need other purchased toys; after he gets a puukko, he’ll make everything else with it. This is no joke! In the 50’s, schoolboys were (at some places) forbidden to use the puukko during wood-carving lessons, because they wouldn’t otherwise learn to use other tools, like planes, saws and chisels. Now the situation is, of course, quite different. Many Finns do not learn to use the puukko properly, though some kind of renaissance may be discernable here (there’s even a special ‘vuolukirja’, whittling book, by Joel Nokelainen 1996, but I think, only in Finnish).

The puukko has developed to remarkable functional simplicity during generations of hard, straightforward use by ordinary people. It is a compromise, a multi-tool, if you like, with nothing inessential. That explains some of its characteristic features. The blade, for instance, is typically only a hand width in length, or a bit less. A longer blade would hamper its performance in whittling, etc. control is better with a shorter one (for fine work, such as countersinking a hole, the puukko is grasped by the blade and the thumb may be used as a ‘backstop’). But because it is not a ‘pure’ wood carving tool, too short won’t do. Similar explanations could be given for the relatively pointy point (remember the hole?), the (usually) straight back (with absolutely no false-edge or swedge), the wedgelike grind, the relatively thin blade, the smooth guardless handle (often called the head), made traditionally of wood, mostly birch, or of birch bark, etc. There are, of course, exceptions, and specialization is taking place here, too. But most of the recent developments in puukko may be more market-driven than purely function. For instance, the recent proliferation of finger-guards comes solely from legislative (consumer protective) demands of USA. A traditional puukko does not need them, as it is not meant for stabbing (though they were used for that too by the ‘puukkojunkkarit’, a group of Finnish outlaws at the Kauhava region quite a few decades ago).

The carry system, in Finnish ‘tuppi’, is traditionally great. It’s not a quick-draw or concealment item or anything like that, but protects the puukko (and its owner) well, keeps it securely in place, does not hamper sitting, etc., and is aesthetically pleasing (the puukko is often called ‘tuppiroska’, sheath-litter, as it were and that could, I guess, reflect the high esteem that traditional makers have had for the sheath). But everyone does not know anymore how to make a proper tuppi (or does not have the time/financial means for that). About the grind. Not every puukko has a high saber grind (or ‘wide flat Scandinavian grind’, as somebody said), and not every puukko lacks a secondary bevel, though typically they do. Sharpening the whole flat sides every time would wear the blade down quickly (this actually happens – there are many puukkos around that resemble only faintly what they were as new), though for ‘vuoleminen’ you do need a very acute angle (about 15/30 degrees). In addition, there are (new) puukkos with a secondary grind as well as some with a convex grind (notably, the Lapinleuku, the traditional tool of reindeer-owners). About the thickness, yes, puukko blades tend to be relatively thin (and not very wide, either, and they do not have a full tang, which I have often grumbled myself). This relates again to its primary functions. It’s not convenient to ‘vuolla’ or to fillet with a thick blade, and you do not, typically, chop or pry with a puukko (for chopping we use the axe and for prying the other guy’s tools).

I got interested in the style and made one for myself. On my first try I found fitting the handle junction closely on the rhomboid blade profile to be a challenge.
I bought one from Jelio who posts them frequently in the Custom and Handmade section.
He is a master of this style and can make one in your choice of materials in a few months.
Mine is in M4 steel at 62 HRC.
These are his pictures of my knife.
zCuJyFh.jpg
That, Sir, is beautiful work!

IndianRoc

Welcome to "Puukko madness" - an incurable condition. I've had it for many, many years. You are off to a great start with those knives you mentioned.
I collect vintage Finnish puukko, but have also collected numerous modern Finnish ones and puukko styles knives from Norway and Sweden. I also have a Enzo/Birk 75 in D2 steel with Scandi grind and curly birch scales. Also scored a Enzo PK 70 in D2 with long bolsters (barlow size) before they were discontinued by Brisa. Helle (Norway) with laminated blades are my favs from Norway. I've also managed to acquire several pre-1960's Swedish puukko styles with laminated blades (mostly older Mora makers). Nordic knives IMHO are the best blades around. I hope you enjoy using and collecting them as I have. Take a look at the Ahti Juhla - a classic, close to Tommi style. Glad to have another puukkophil in our midst.
Rich

Last edited:
That, Sir, is beautiful work!
Yes, Jelios work is top notch
yu9BGt1.jpg

Take a look at some of the more traditonal stuff too....like Jarvenpaa and Marttiini. You can find some real nice older examples for not a lot of money if you keep an eye out in the right places.
A couple Marttiini Ilves blades
IFG2ilY.jpg

A couple small Marttiini Lapinleuku
ZZm3D83.jpg

A couple from Jarvenpaa
748ItJx.jpg

pDKgPs1.jpg

Arathol

I really like the woven sheath on the top Marttiini. Been trying to find one for a long time for my meager collection. I know they are not production items, rather custom made (commonly by owners). Just a rather unique sheath material. I'll keep looking ;)
Rich

Well, I just told a maker here on the forum that I would take a Leuku off his hands so... there's even other things that you can get in trouble with in this genre... :)

I remember having a puukko as a youngster. It had a red round handle with a horse head pommel and a dangler sheath. No clue whatever became of it.

Arathol

I really like the woven sheath on the top Marttiini. Been trying to find one for a long time for my meager collection. I know they are not production items, rather custom made (commonly by owners). Just a rather unique sheath material. I'll keep looking ;)
Rich
That one was from what I understand made by somebody named Oiva Maatta in Kuhmo. It just happened to fit a 4 1/4" blade Ilves perfectly so it seemed a good match for a nice old puukko that didn't have a proper sheath..

Indian Roc

Amazing, I also had a horsehead puukko with green galalite handle as a child. It was a Jarvenpaa if I recall. Still have it here somewhere; was one of the things that got me interested in Nordic knives.
Rich

Arathol and all

Your woven sheath reminded me of a couple unusual puukko sheaths in my meager collection:

A formed bark sheath and an aluminum one from WW II era.

Rich

IndianRoc

Good move. I have several Wood Jewel models. IMHO, fine working puukko at reasonable cost. They use Lauri blades like many of the other small size makers.
How about a pic or two of your model?
Rich

Last edited:
Somebody else posted this on Bladeforums quite some time ago -- still great commentary:

‘Puukko’ is a Finnish term. It’s a derivative of ‘puu’ which means wood. A puukko is, first and foremost, a wood carving tool (we have a special term for that, ‘vuoleminen’, the root verb being ‘vuolla’, which comes close to whittling or wood carving, but denotes specifically the use of the blade for push-cuts, not slicing or slashing). Other ‘necessary’ uses of a puukko have to do with fishing and hunting, i.e., scaling, skinning, filleting, and other such tasks in preparing fish and game. Skilled users do about everything with a puukko, though. Once it was thought that a boy really doesn’t need other purchased toys; after he gets a puukko, he’ll make everything else with it. This is no joke! In the 50’s, schoolboys were (at some places) forbidden to use the puukko during wood-carving lessons, because they wouldn’t otherwise learn to use other tools, like planes, saws and chisels. Now the situation is, of course, quite different. Many Finns do not learn to use the puukko properly, though some kind of renaissance may be discernable here (there’s even a special ‘vuolukirja’, whittling book, by Joel Nokelainen 1996, but I think, only in Finnish).

The puukko has developed to remarkable functional simplicity during generations of hard, straightforward use by ordinary people. It is a compromise, a multi-tool, if you like, with nothing inessential. That explains some of its characteristic features. The blade, for instance, is typically only a hand width in length, or a bit less. A longer blade would hamper its performance in whittling, etc. control is better with a shorter one (for fine work, such as countersinking a hole, the puukko is grasped by the blade and the thumb may be used as a ‘backstop’). But because it is not a ‘pure’ wood carving tool, too short won’t do. Similar explanations could be given for the relatively pointy point (remember the hole?), the (usually) straight back (with absolutely no false-edge or swedge), the wedgelike grind, the relatively thin blade, the smooth guardless handle (often called the head), made traditionally of wood, mostly birch, or of birch bark, etc. There are, of course, exceptions, and specialization is taking place here, too. But most of the recent developments in puukko may be more market-driven than purely function. For instance, the recent proliferation of finger-guards comes solely from legislative (consumer protective) demands of USA. A traditional puukko does not need them, as it is not meant for stabbing (though they were used for that too by the ‘puukkojunkkarit’, a group of Finnish outlaws at the Kauhava region quite a few decades ago).

The carry system, in Finnish ‘tuppi’, is traditionally great. It’s not a quick-draw or concealment item or anything like that, but protects the puukko (and its owner) well, keeps it securely in place, does not hamper sitting, etc., and is aesthetically pleasing (the puukko is often called ‘tuppiroska’, sheath-litter, as it were and that could, I guess, reflect the high esteem that traditional makers have had for the sheath). But everyone does not know anymore how to make a proper tuppi (or does not have the time/financial means for that). About the grind. Not every puukko has a high saber grind (or ‘wide flat Scandinavian grind’, as somebody said), and not every puukko lacks a secondary bevel, though typically they do. Sharpening the whole flat sides every time would wear the blade down quickly (this actually happens – there are many puukkos around that resemble only faintly what they were as new), though for ‘vuoleminen’ you do need a very acute angle (about 15/30 degrees). In addition, there are (new) puukkos with a secondary grind as well as some with a convex grind (notably, the Lapinleuku, the traditional tool of reindeer-owners). About the thickness, yes, puukko blades tend to be relatively thin (and not very wide, either, and they do not have a full tang, which I have often grumbled myself). This relates again to its primary functions. It’s not convenient to ‘vuolla’ or to fillet with a thick blade, and you do not, typically, chop or pry with a puukko (for chopping we use the axe and for prying the other guy’s tools).
Beautiful post. Would you recommend it for day to day house chores?

this thread is going to result in a few purchases ; ) thx bf

those are some really excellent examples

Back