Off the bandwagon

Tenbeers

Gold Member
I've received a few CS pieces recently that I want to comment on.
The DF Boot knife was finally restocked by a few online sellers so I ordered a couple.
I compared them to the original gold version and discovered the following:
I don't have a proper scale to get the exact weights but the new blue/gray version is noticeably lighter to me. The stock thickness in front of the guard looks thinner. Another obvious difference is the factory sharpness.
My original is scary sharp,the new version is not totally dull but is not remotely capable of shaving hair on either of the ones I received.

I don't think the sheath is dulling the edge on initial inspection but I could be wrong.
I don't mind the new version being a bit lighter but the next to dull edge is irritating. Obviously it can be sharpened but there was a time when this wasn't a concern with new CS knives.
For the last few years it's been hit or miss. It's pretty much a crapshoot now.
Frequent dull edges or sheaths that dull. Not a good trend!

Some of this was happening before the buyout. I fear that things won't improve in that regard from this point forward.
I think my CS buying days are approaching an end.

I purchased one of the new mini Leatherneck models recently,the double-edged version. To say that the sheath dulls the edge is an understatement.
Two or three draws/re-sheaths left an edge that will literally not cut anything except maybe butter.
Why they continue to produce sheaths with this issue is beyond me.

As I previously stated,it seems like the end of the my road with CS has come.
I started buying their knives in the early eighties when their fit and finish was among the best but those days are long gone in my opinion.
Whether it's poor QC or poor design work, it's not something I'll continue to support. The new DF Bowie is great but it is an exception, not the rule.

The Lynn Thompson era is over. We were fortunate to enjoy it as long as we did. As we approach the one year anniversay of GSM ownership I'm not sure what, if anything, has improved!

I know that the most noticeable change done to the Drop Forged series specs, was the finish going from the original gold'ish color, to the dark Gray. But, it also seems that at least some of the models received some handle contour changes, with some even receiving synthetic handle scales. These changes were put in place before GSM purchased Cold Steel.

I have one of CS's Drop Forged push daggers, (in dark gray), and it's an absolute beast! It's real thick, weighing just under a half pound, and it's execution was very well done, (it's simple, but oozes an overall quality level). I tested it's sharpness when I first received it, and although not razor sharp, it was sharp.
I also have a gold'ish colored CS Drop Forged Boot Dagger, and it had about the same level of sharpness, which is to say, good, but not great.

Although CS always claims to offer "the sharpest knives in the world" sort'a thing... I have long realized the hype to simply be just that... hyped marketing. Some of their knives will indeed come very sharp, while others are okay, or even not sharp at all. I have found this to be true of many knife makers, but... I will admit, it's a bit more annoying when a company hypes their knives sharpness as much as CS does, only to be just as inconsistent as most other knife companies are with it.

Anyhow, back to that CS Drop Forged Push Dagger I mentioned above... You could likely pry open a car door with it!
My other CS push daggers are nice, but... The Drop Forged model is the one that would instill the most confidence that it would not likely fail on you, no matter what situation you may have to put it through. Yup, it is simply one heck of a beast! šŸ‘šŸ˜šŸ‘

Last edited:
I think my CS buying days are approaching an end.

I've felt the same way since the buyout, and nothing I've witnessed from GSM has convinced me that Cold Steel will continue to interest me in the future. I find myself looking at eBay and online vendors carrying old stock, searching for stuff that I missed over the years.

For what it's worth, I also noticed the weight difference between the two versions of the Drop Forged Boot Knife. The gray version is slightly thinner, as well. I like it better for both of those reasons. I never compared the sharpness, though.

Although CS always claims to offer "the sharpest knives in the world" sort'a thing... I have long realized the hype to simply be just that... hyped marketing.

It wasn't hype through most of the company's history. Regardless of what it's become, Cold Steel endeavored to live up to the "World's Strongest, Sharpest Knives" motto for many, many years. Whether you were opening the original black box or the later blue box, you knew you were getting a sharp knife that would perform. It wasn't until the logo changed (and the boxes along with it) that you began to have reason to wonder.

From my experience, it's still not an issue generally. Most of the Cold Steel knives I've bought over the past five or six years have been excellent.

-Steve

Last edited:
The sharpness was fairly consistent for me until mainly the last 7 or 8 years.
What was once an occasional anomaly became more frequent.
When the DF series first started, every one I bought was razor sharp.
When the blue/gray models appeared, I started seeing more dull or semi-sharp pieces. The sheath dulling was more noticeable for me on the SK5 SRK and Recon Tanto.
Given the amount of CS products I bought, the issues became more frequent on several different lines that they produced.
As previously stated, it became a crapshoot in general.

There were several more expensive models that I avoided because of the sheath dulling issues. One of the reasons I stopped buying some mid-tech knives was that I knew I'd have to hassle with getting a sheath made for some of them.
It simply became tiresome and irritating.
Even though the CS fixed blades included a sheath, it was the same scenario.
I'll go to my grave not understanding why so many brands/makers treat sheaths as an afterthought. The cost argument is bs. They seem to have no hesitation in charging a premium price for the knives but the sheath doesn't matter?
I hate it, but I really do think that things will not improve going forward.

I may yet see something I want but the days of anxiously awaiting the new releases are over for me.
I think the new ownership will try to capitalize on the over the top aspects of the brand but the difference will be the quality of what they produce.
I never minded the hype as long as the knives were consistently well made.

Same here. I'm sure that I've bought my last CS. How to destroy a brand in one year .
Unbelievable!!

Probably best to keep The Lynn era blades. Ive got new and old Talwars, The older ones are much better quality and MUCH thinner behind the edge.
Newer ones don't feel like cold steel but a rebranded blade with triad tech.

Probably best to keep The Lynn era blades. Ive got new and old Talwars, The older ones are much better quality and MUCH thinner behind the edge.
Newer ones don't feel like cold steel but a rebranded blade with triad tech.
I'm just going to use mine I bought them to use them. Had I known this was going to happen I probably should have collected them only. I think my next big knife is going to be one of them big Spyderco knives. I don't own a Spyderco at the moment I hear nothing but good things about them though. Somebody will take up the slack in the big knife market that's what's going to happen I think.

I like to go outdoors, but I don't go that often, and I don't need knives for my daily work. Hence, I'm in a comfortable position: I'm still in the market (but only for LTE Old Steel stuff), but I have already the few knives I'll need for the rest of my life. I didn't bought them for collection, but some (for instance, the Tai Pan) will be "collection" until the day I actually need to use them.

It was interesting to know a bit better the knife industry, which includes this forum. The best part of it, of course, are the enthusiasts and the knife makers, which are (or should be) a special kind of enthusiasts. They have real passion and knowledge and I'll always remember them, while forgetting for good the bean counters and the phony people we'll encounter in all industries and sectors of life.

I had two bad experiences with Sold Steel units (among four in total), so everything that was said in this topic makes sense for me.

Somebody will take up the slack in the big knife market that's what's going to happen I think.

I'll go to my grave not understanding why so many brands/makers treat sheaths as an afterthought. The cost argument is bs. They seem to have no hesitation in charging a premium price for the knives but the sheath doesn't matter?
I hate it, but I really do think that things will not improve going forward.

I'm right there with ya! I've lost count of how many knives I've had re-sheathed because the originals were desperately inferior--and that's production, mid-tech, and custom. Sheaths should never be a means of cutting costs. They need to be given at least as much design consideration as the knife, but most companies/makers treat them like they're packaging.

Somebody will take up the slack in the big knife market that's what's going to happen I think.

Please let us know if you learn of a company doing so. There hasn't been a genuine competitor for Cold Steel in the large folding knife market in many years. As a fan of big folders, I miss the variety.

-Steve

Last edited:
I don't believe Spyderco makes it anymore. It's a nice knife in the Spyderco tradition. You'll find it's pretty heavy, comparable to a polished Large Espada.

-Steve
Yeah I saw that well I guess that's it no more big folding knives. I got enough to last the rest of my life. Oh well back to the drawing board

Back