Off topic: any hogs do, or familiar with hot shot trucking?

DamascusBowie

Gold Member
Ive been watching and listening to some folks doing hot shot trucking and making good money doing relatively decent work.

Theyre basically independent contractors with a heavy duty truck and a 30-40 foot gooseneck trailer and they pull sub CDL loads for the most part. Some have their cdls so they can go higher, but Im looking into sub cdl weight load hauling at the moment.

Then they use different methods to get loads, theresa whole network set up for that. Mostly online, fairly straightforward.

Seems that, if one is free to work the hours, the money is there and looks to be there for the foreseeable future.

I may not have a full grasp of the matter, but the idea of hauling loads in a sweet F350 with my dog in the passenger seat sounds like a dream job.

Im fairly confident some fellow hogs will know what Im talking about.

Last edited:
I’ve never hot shotted before for a living but I do own a F-350 dually and a 40ft gooseneck that I use every year to go up to Moab, UT for Easter Jeep Safari. Technically I need a CDL to even haul the trailer empty because of my trucks weight, trailers weight, and the trailer max load capacity exceeds 26,000lbs (combined). When I’ve got two Jeeps on there we're pushing 30k lbs.

If you’re going to do it for a living I'd go the extra mile and get whatever license you need. Every states towing laws are different and some places you go you’ll need certain permits.

Don't know the details you're looking for but a friend of mine's dad jumped into that after Hurricane Katrina. That's many years ago but that's how he got started with it. He was laid off at the time and got hooked up with FEMA and he's just never been out of work since and he grew a lot. He just hooked up with all the right people at the right time. He was nervous as hell jumping in but he did. He's done quite well for himself so I know first hand it's doable :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Where I work I've used these kind of folks before. I have to send strange things to strange places from time to time and used a broker I got turned on to by one of our regular haulers as he only did big stuff. From a O/O standpoint the trick is finding a good broker you can make money with and that I believe is the whole challenge in a nutshell, developing that network and building a reputation for "can-do" and a "go-to" guy they can depend on where everyone makes a few bucks is the real magical balance. The margins are thin man and some real idiots out there willing to take loser, crap jobs just to flow cash.

I thought when you were commercial hauling a CDL was required anyway?
Not if you are under 26k gross. I have a Class A but haven't used it in 10 years. Just keep it in case I need to go back to driving.
Not sure but I didn't think you had to have a CDL as long as you are not for hire,maybe wrong on that but I know many other things are different.

If you already have the right truck setup with some reliability mods. I'd say go for it. By mods. I mean good fuel filtration and any weaknesses your particular choice may have, ironed out. Be set up for a lot of trouble free miles without having a money pit. To go buy a new rig, it can be ridiculously expensive. That said, I'm a Cummins fan myself. No hotshot experience, but can appreciate the desire . Let us know how it works out if you go for it.

I am down here in Texas and know quite a few people who do quite well driving Hot Shot. One of my friends owns his own company now and pays others to drive for him. In Texas, due to all the Oil Field work, Refining, Petrochemical, & other heavy industry, Hot Shot driving can be very lucrative. Due to the Industrial nature of most clients, you may not be able to show up at some sites with a Dog in the truck. Really depends on the nature of the Haul & the Client (OSHA has restrictions for Companies in the Industrial Sectors.).
But the money is usually pretty good. I believe you are right in that most states do not require CDL for Truck & Trailer combo weights that don't exceed 26,000 lbs., but you might find that some clients really suggest or even require a CDL from their Drivers. I used to have a CDL but it was only for 3500 & GooseNeck trailer. Didn't need to ever drive Tractor/Trailers so only Tested with 3500 & GooseNeck. CDL just had a restriction (No Airbags).
Good luck with the potential business venture,
Surfsidemel

Back