[Off Topic But in the Right SPIRIT] The Proper Liquid Companion for Hogs and Hoglets

That Dow's should be superb ... same age as me too ! Port is one of my favourite tipples ...:thumbup:

Haha, there is a time and place for Tequila -- but it doesn't quite have the same Busse-like finesse! :p

This one does:
DSCF0120_small.jpg

John, I'm afraid I need a bit of educating when it comes to Tequila and Port.... I guess the best thing all round would be for you to send a me a bottle of each in prder to further my education! :p

Nice little collection John :) I'll admit that I don't know enough about US Whiskeys.... Still I love a bit of ejucashun

EDIT. ps impressed by the '63, although I struggle to get into Port, just aways find it a bit too sweet

About the only Scotch I've had that I really enjoyed (and I've tried a lot) is the Macallan, preferably the 12YO, but the older stuff is good too. Peat and smoke just don't do it for me. (I'll resist the temptation to suggest that most single malt Scotches are made by filtering urine through camp fire ashes.) Suffice it to say that our tastes likely differ.

With that caveat, I highly recommend Sazarac Rye, which is my current favorite whisk[e]y. The 6YO is very good, and 18YO superb, although hard to find. Both are very reasonably priced here in East Podunk, with the 6YO coming in at about half the price of Ardbeg 10YO, so I can drink twice as much.

isn't east podunk over there near south of lumberton and west of orange? You can get some cheap smokes down there in bridge city

Thanks mate, just had a quick look and you can get the Sazarac for about 30 quid (50 in green money) over here in the UK. Love the suggestion 'filtering urine through campfire ashes'...

... although I would make one small addition: 'urine filtered through campfire ashes -- but in a good way' haha

All the Islay malts are peaty. I wouldn't say Ardbeg is the most peaty - Laphroaig is probably more so - but I prefer Ardbeg. Yes, the Japanese do make some very good malts - I didn't believe it either until I was given my first bottle.

I'm not into Bourbon, but then have never tried the good stuff. There is a distillery in Virginia, not too far from where I live that actually makes a malt whisky, but they have some way to go yet.

As for JW - well, blended whiskies are OK for when you want to make a sour.

Jim Murray author of the Whisky Bible says 'To me Ardbeg is - and always has been - the most complex malt on earth'....

ps. I want to ust be clear that I neither work for nor have any affiliation with Ardbeg! Just a fan, and thought that there might be some fellow fans on here

As I recall, Jim was talking about the original Ardbeg. What you get now, after they re-started the distillery, is still quite good -- but trust me, the older stuff was Heaven.:)

Old Physics, sadly I wasn't around to try the old Ardbeg, although I'm sure there's still some kicking around somewhere for me to get my grubby paws on! Jim Murray has pretty consistently given the new stuff rave reviews as well though. If my newly found INFI addiction allows me any spare cash I'm gonna have to try something from Bruichladdich's Octomore line...

Seriously, though, to get back to the INFIection I will be waiting up til 1 or 2 AM UK time to see how my first ganza unfolds, even though I don't really have any money to spend in it :(

Old Physics, sadly I wasn't around to try the old Ardbeg, although I'm sure there's still some kicking around somewhere for me to get my grubby paws on! Jim Murray has pretty consistently given the new stuff rave reviews as well though. If my newly found INFI addiction allows me any spare cash I'm gonna have to try something from Bruichladdich's Octomore line...

Seriously, though, to get back to the INFIection I will be waiting up til 1 or 2 AM UK time to see how my first ganza unfolds, even though I don't really have any money to spend in it :(

All of the Bruichladdich drams are good. They vary in character, so be sure to check out a review before parting with cash.

Yes, some of the original Ardbeg is still around. Unbelievably hard to find and really, not possible to afford. I've been saving ONE DRAM, one lousy dram, for about 22 years now. Just waiting for that perfect occasion. Might be the birth of my first grandchild -- January-ish.

We'll see.:D

DSCF1131.jpg

I gave it a try. It seems to demand to be sipped slowly. A contemplative drink. Sweet at first, but then smoke that lingers still. My wife thought it would be good with barbeque.

Attachments

• DSCF1131.jpg
    DSCF1131.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1
Sazarac, as in New Orleans Sazarac?

Sazerac as in sazerac Rye, a whiskey made at the Buffalo Trace distillary, which is owned by the Sazerac Company, which claims to trace its roots back to the purchase of a bar known as the Sazerac Coffee House in 1869 by Thomas H. Handy. The coffee house is said to hve been named after a cocktail called the Sazerac that was created in the mid-1800's by a Creole immigrant named Antoine Peychaud, who operated a pharmacy on the French Quarter's Royal Street in 1838. Or at least that's what wikipedia says.

Back