Off topic but very important

Ok ladies and gentlemen some of you may know me fiance has been in and out of the hospital. Well she had gotten to the point of being unable to walk,hold things in her hands and severely slurred speech. At which point I had paramedics help me get her out of our house and into my truck. I took her to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville North Carolina where she's received excellent treatment. Turns out she had developed Guillain Barre Syndrome, I will post a link. She has had 2 weeks of treatment consisting of plasma exchange to rid her of bad antibodies in her blood. She IS expected to make a full recovery with physical therapy. This has no cure but will go into remission. The reason I am telling all of you this that one of the known causes is recieving vaccines. We was told that the covid vaccine has caused a spike in cases of Guillain Barre. I am NOT trying to be political, just want to inform you all. Hers was not caused by the vaccine as we have not gotten it ( will not discuss,thats political and frowned upon here,rightfully so)
But please if you have had the vaccine and experience numbness and tingling starting in the feet and increasing weakness, that moves up the legs, please be checked. Want all of you to be safe and informed. If the mods feel this thread is inappropriate please move to an appropriate section. And PLEASE, PLEASE ~DO NOT~ speak of the politics and such in this thread! Thankyou all so very much for all of your prayers and well wishes, it mean allot to the both of us.
Link: https://www.activebeat.com/your-health/6-facts-to-know-about-guillain-barre-syndrome/

Sometime the best can turn to worst... The wheel unfortunately stopped on your fiancée...
I feel sorry for you both and whish her a prompt recovery from the deepest of my heart.

GBS is an extremely rare autoimmune disorder. The vast majority of GBS patients recover completely. Two-thirds of all GBS cases are caused by an immediately prior infection. The spike in GBS cases is due the Covid 19 infection spike, not a spike in vaccinations. GBS is diagnosed in only 1 in 100,000 post-vaccination patients, and that data is reported primarily from annual flu vaccinations, though Covid-19 GBS rates seem to follow this 1/100,000 pattern. Medicine, not politics.

First, I’m glad that your fiancé is getting better and hope that she makes a full recovery. To those who are hesitant about the COVID19 vaccine please speak with your family doctor and ask him or her about the risks of not being vaccinated and becoming seriously ill versus the risk of contracting Guillan Barre Syndrome after receiving the vaccine. Then make a decision on what you think is best for you, your family and community.

Glad y'all are getting sorted. First thing that came to my mind was something much worse ... brain tumor. My mom had one and symptoms sounded similar.
Since you guys haven't had the COVID vaccine yet ... I'd ask her doc about it before getting it.
My sister is a registered nurse (RN) and she convinced me to get the COVID vaccination ... and she didn't make me sick ;) ... just a sore arm the following day that promptly went away.
(Sister recommended the Moderna one)

GBS is an extremely rare autoimmune disorder. The vast majority of GBS patients recover completely. Two-thirds of all GBS cases are caused by an immediately prior infection. The spike in GBS cases is due the Covid 19 infection spike, not a spike in vaccinations. GBS is diagnosed in only 1 in 100,000 post-vaccination patients, and that data is reported primarily from annual flu vaccinations, though Covid-19 GBS rates seem to follow this 1/100,000 pattern. Medicine, not politics.
Thank you, I hadn't intended to spread misinformation, just something a nurse had said about a spike in cases. Thanks for the clarification.
Glad y'all are getting sorted. First thing that came to my mind was something much worse ... brain tumor. My mom had one and symptoms sounded similar.
Since you guys haven't had the COVID vaccine yet ... I'd ask her doc about it before getting it.
My sister is a registered nurse (RN) and she convinced me to get the COVID vaccination ... and she didn't make me sick ;) ... just a sore arm the following day that promptly went away.
(Sister recommended the Moderna one)
According to the doctors here she can't have ANY vaccines in the future due to the risk of causing a flare up of the GBS.

Oh and to be clear she had a gastric bug and a UTI leading up to the GBS, her docs seem to think it was most likely the gastric bug. I was just going on what they had said that a vaccine could cause it. However I feel that if covid infection can trigger it, letting people know of the symptoms is still a good thing.đź‘Ť

I have had GBS…back in my 20’s. My heart was the only muscle still working when I arrived at the hospital. Lost 45lbs of body weight in 3 days. Had to have physio to learn to walk again. Sucked, and I was lucky to be alive. Back then almost everyone who got it did not make it.

It is a syndrome so you can’t pass it on to someone else like a cold.

Glad to hear she is on the way to recovery…one of the scariest syndrome’s in my opinion.

Prayers to you and yours.

Edit to correct some information.

Last edited:
I have had GBS…back in my 20’s. My heart was the only muscle still working when I arrived at the hospital. Lost 45lbs of body weight in 3 days. Had to have physio to learn to walk again. Sucked, and I was lucky to be alive. I was one of the first 5 people to have it. Back then almost everyone who got it did not make it.

It is a syndrome so you don’t “carry” it in your body.

Glad to hear she is on the way to recovery…one of the scariest syndrome’s in my opinion.

Prayers to you and yours.
Thanks, It is very scary to watch much less to go through. Very glad you made a recovery! She still had movement in her legs and arms but couldn't support her own weight. Every day I see improvement in her mobility and coordination, she starts physical therapy this week, perhaps early as tomorrow. It depends on when a bed opens in that department. I got her to the hospital on Monday evening 2 weeks ago, really didn't get in to be treated until about 2 AM as the E.R. was slammed that evening. So from essentially 2 AM Tuesday they had made a diagnosis and had her first plasma exchange by that Friday. She had every test imaginable run in the first 3 days, mri,ct, ect. more blood work than I can even imagine, a lumbar puncture to draw spinal fluid. I can't sing the praises of the nurses and doctors of Vidant Medical loud enough, absolutely amazing staff.

Yes, the spinal tap is no fun at all. Lots of rest, food and Dr. directed physio for now. It took me a while to recover. It sounds like you got her in early! Good on you!! To be quite honest, you probably saved her life.

Again, you will both be in my thoughts and prayers. If you ever need to chat privately…I’m just a PM away.

According to the doctors here she can't have ANY vaccines in the future due to the risk of causing a flare up of the GBS.
I'm happy to do my part by getting vaccinated, to help protect the small number of people who can't (and those with compromised immunity)

Best wishes for her improved health.

Back