Off Topic Discussion on Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it comes down to it, I view blades as being useful either for a surprise attack against an armed goblin or taking out an unarmed adversary face to face. Having just a little experience, and knowing guys with just a little more, going knife on knife or anything similar to that is not a good idea.
Just something interesting I took from your comment twolfnm. In either case of the above fights using the Liberty Kukri you would be the one going to jail on possible murder charges (even in Nepal, Kukri are banned in the city) because you used an illegal fixed bladed knife in city limits.
Here's an example of Knife Laws (Seattle, WA):

It is illegal for anyone to carry a “dangerous knife” in the city. According to Seattle Municipal Code section 12A.14.010, “a dangerous knife means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2″) in length.”

Section 12A.14.080 states it’s unlawful for a person knowingly to “carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous knife, or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other than a firearm ….”

It’s also illegal to sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry a switchblade knife. Regarding juveniles, follow this link and check out Section D.

Section 12A.14.100 of the Seattle Municipal Code outlines the exemptions for dangerous knife:

The proscriptions of Section 12A.14.080 B relating to dangerous knives shall not apply to:

A. A licensed hunter or licensed fisherman actively engaged in hunting and fishing activity including education and travel related thereto; or

B. Any person immediately engaged in an activity related to a lawful occupation which commonly requires the use of such knife, provided such knife is carried unconcealed; provided further that a dangerous knife carried openly in a sheath suspended from the waist of the person is not concealed within the meaning of this subsection;

C. Any person carrying such knife in a secure wrapper or in a tool box while traveling from the place of purchase, from or to a place of repair, or from or to such person’s home or place of business, or in moving from one (1) place of abode or business to another, or while in such person’s place of abode or fixed place of business.

Knife use also is addressed in SMC Section 12A.14.075:

A person is guilty of unlawful use of weapons to intimidate another if he or she carries, exhibits, displays or draws a dangerous knife, any knife with a blade that is open for use or a deadly weapon other than a firearm in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another person or warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Of course you're just joking around and I'm glad you mentioned knife fighting is a bad idea in any situation for us amateurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I'm near Seattle. I better make sure my Pen Knife is well concealed.
I think you are ok as long as it is not concealed. Used to be a guy walked around with a sword on his back. I knew some officers and they said he was a nice good guy, just didn't want to be messed with and they all knew him so they left him alone.
I'm not certain about the concealment part. I believe stupid laws are made to be ignored and focus on concealment when necessary.

Gosh, that is what will make the big cities unlivable in the future. The crazy laws. The government wants to have a total monopoly on violence. Can I carry a spear instead, then?

You are right Bawanna, many laws on the books are not enforced. Officers have the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.

sword on his back in public.jpg
Above: Man with a sword on his back in public.
Where you get into trouble with the Law is if you have to use that blade and in court get ripped by the other side and the Judge. So it's best to keep things legal as much as possible.

Last edited:
Hiyas, SCR! :)

Nah, I wasn't joking. Not a bit!

Actually, the scenario in my head was a combat venue, and not in the streets of the USA. Well, not yet ... :D

Oh, I should mention that, amateur or professional, hardly anybody gets out of a real knife fight without looking like something out of an old Jim Croce song.

Bad juju, man. ;)

Last edited:
The government wants to have a total monopoly on violence.

That's the definition of a government. The difference you're thinking of is the extent to which the people are part of the government and can exercise certain forms of that violence as citizens.

That's the definition of a government. The difference you're thinking of is the extent to which the people are part of the government and can exercise certain forms of that violence as citizens.

Amen to that. Unfortunately, as a people, we in the US have very little to do with the workings of Gov't anymore. It's been that way for a long time, but most everyone is becoming aware of that now. I already consider the Gov't to be irrelevant and avoided at all costs. I'll stop there before this goes any further off on a political tangent. :D

amateur or professional, hardly anybody gets out of a real knife fight without looking like something out of an old Jim Croce song.

Bad juju, man. ;)
So true! I have pictures (some from my Security job) of knife fights/attacks that are to gory to post here. In close combat I can now fully understand how the tough Gurkhas were so good with their blades.
HarryGurkha.jpg
Above: Prince Harry undergoing training
with 3rd Battalion, Royal Gurkha Rifles.

Not to continue this thread's tangential nature (Nice designs Howard!!) I live in Seattle, so any of you khuk freaks in the area feel free to pm me, I would love to compare a few HI blades before buying my next khuk. I often keep my Khuk in the truck with me, though I rarely brandish it in public unless doing landscaping, firewood collecting, or other work. There is really no need to carry it on my person concealed or not unless it's being used. A Mora or folding blade is all I need for my EDC. Also I am always 'going to or from' fishing activities!!!:)

YAAAAAR

PS - SCR - Harry looks photoshopped to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang ya got me, I had a whole new respect for the Prince. I fell for the whole deal hook, line and boat anchor.

Funny thing about those laws...I could legally walk down the road with a sword strapped on my back (I've witnessed others doing the same - true stories), and I can legally carry a pistol, but I cannot legally carry a concealed knife if it's over a certain length. Sometimes it's just a question of things not being tidied up (read: made to make sense) in a timely fashion due to a perceived lack of need.

But that's the law - it doesn't have to make sense, but it should be followed.

Funny thing about those laws...I could legally walk down the road with a sword strapped on my back (I've witnessed others doing the same - true stories), and I can legally carry a pistol, but I cannot legally carry a concealed knife if it's over a certain length. Sometimes it's just a question of things not being tidied up (read: made to make sense) in a timely fashion due to a perceived lack of need.

Many, many US laws on the books are antiquated.
-In Arkansas it is strictly prohibited for a resident to mispronounce the state name and a man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
-An old Boston law banned Native Americans from Boston, Mass until 2005. That's when former Gov. Mitt Romney signed a law repealing the ban.
- And so on.

Thank God for Officer's discretion.

Dave! Good to see you buddy:)

Many, many US laws on the books are antiquated.
-In Arkansas it is strictly prohibited for a resident to mispronounce the state name and a man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
-An old Boston law banned Native Americans from Boston, Mass until 2005. That's when former Gov. Mitt Romney signed a law repealing the ban.
- And so on.

Thank God for Officer's discretion.

Well, in Vermont it used to be illegal to sell horse urine without a license. USED TO BE, so nothing to worry about now if you want to sell horse urine.

If there's any fellow australians in need of some info, the crach course on khukuri legality is as follows:
Importing khukuris is not a problem. They are "exempt by name" according to customs as they are seen as having religious facets. This does not always ensure that they will arrive without an issue though. For small khukuris they may be seen as easily concealable, which can cause issues, especially if double edged as they can be classified as daggers. The solution is to buy big ones :D
Big khukuris are not concealable and can get in regardless of blade design. If they are ever held due to being made of endangered animal products, mentioned that any water buffalo materials used are from farmed creatures and this should be sorted very quickly.

For carry: Differs from state to state, but it is the same rule as any other fixed blade. Only can be carried if you are pursuing a legit hobby, occupation or sport. This is entirely up to police discretion though and due to the intimidating size and shape of many khukuris you may be out of luck.
A good reason is that it is a woodcutting tool which you use due to shoulder injuries which stop you from doing large swings, which may serve to sway your officer's decision.
Happy chopping!

fugglesby, i gather that rawhide is illegal as it is an untreated meat product that may harbour germs or bugs. tanned leather is OK tho as it has been treated. don't mention the wood in the scabbard or grips unless they mention them. tell them they have been treated and lacquered if they ask.

Great tips. It's a bugger that we have to have such strict safeguard in place.
On the other hand, at least khukuris aren't folding knives. that's where the real issues start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back