off topic.......Frankensheath!

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
Awhile back I had a forum member build a couple of leather setups. Instead of adding a pouch to the face of the sheath, he suggested incorporating a belt loop onto the back of a pouch, and then drop/dangler the sheath down from there. The pouch accepts an altoids-sized tin and I use that as a small fire kit.

I liked it as it kept the whole setup in a more vertical dimension, and so I have been robbing the top portion from the original setup to use with other blades. The other night it occurred to me that I had a spare Esee pouch and I decided to try to duplicate the upper section with that pouch and kydex. I'm a poor bender at best, and so after a little sweat and a lot of rebending, the ugliest backer ever seen was born :D

The setup I was trying to somewhat duplicate......

DNmVaB9.jpg

Esee pouch with kydex backer and d-ring attached.....

qBsXyBjl.jpg

wCRmaozl.jpg

It's really rough and I got it way too hot in places (no oven, used a heat gun) but it does work. Behold Frankensheath :eek: :confused: :D

q7rnEd4.jpg

That's not ugly, it's....AUTHENTIC! ;)

But seriously, who's gonna see it...and besides, if anybody asks "What kind of backer is that?"

Just say, "It's a DGAS backer."

They say, "What's a DGAS backer?"

You say, "If you don't like it, I Don't Give A S:poop::poop::poop:!" :cool:

That's not ugly, it's....AUTHENTIC! ;)

But seriously, who's gonna see it...and besides, if anybody asks "What kind of backer is that?"

Just say, "It's a DGAS backer."

They say, "What's a DGAS backer?"

You say, "If you don't like it, I Don't Give A S:poop::poop::poop:!" :cool:

An Authentic DGAS attachment, I like that Petey :) And the fact that it would be largely unseen was one of the factors that I used to convince myself to try building it :D

Looks clean and functional to me Knocks!
Nice work!

And here I was expecting, bolts, stitches and some duck tape. ;)

That's good. Adapting the carry system for tools is always challenging and very rewarding when you get it right. It makes using and having the tools comfortably accessible a pleasant experience.

Looks clean and functional to me Knocks!
Nice work!

And here I was expecting, bolts, stitches and some duck tape. ;)

You're very gracious bud. Maybe it just looks so rough to me because I know every spot I messed up on :D

That's good. Adapting the carry system for tools is always challenging and very rewarding when you get it right. It makes using and having the tools comfortably accessible a pleasant experience.

Agree. This kind of setup would definitely NOT be for everyone. It happens to work for a specific style of hunting/pursuit I do several months of the year, and it does it very well. I'm sure it would be of little or no use to a whole bunch of folks. But you hit the nail on the head Brian, just adapt your carry to what works for you :thumbsup:

Back