Off Topic. Posting images taken from your computer files more than once.

The pic I just posted on the thread "Yvsa's Cherokee Rose" was posted before from the files of "My Pictures" on my computer.
The UBB Software doesn't allow anyone to post the same image twice from our personal computer files as several of us have found
out.
I got to thinking while ago that since being posted here once it would/should(?) mean that the pic now has a www address of its own that can be found with a right click of the mouse and then going to "Properties" of the pic.
It Worked!!!!:D :D

Before I posted it here I went to the Service & Support Forum found under the General Forums Index to test it.;)

And by working that means we can retrieve our pix posted from our files in previous threads and, using the BladeForums.Com Jpg, post just the pic instead of having to refer people to the original thread or bringing the thread to the top again.
And that's just not possible with the archived threads.

Some questions??????
What I don't know is, is if it would be proper to use the pic somewhere else off of BladeForums.Com?
There's tons of stuff I don't know about computers, but I have read that it's not polite to post an image from someone else's website without their permission as it robbed bandwidth from them or something?
Would that be the case if it was done with one of our pix that now has a BladeForums Web Address in the form of a Jpg?

Some of y'all may have already known this, but I sure didn't and I know a few others besides me didn't know it either.
Sometimes this ol' ndn is good for something once in a great
while.:D

The 'Properties' trick is the one I generally use. Anyone can use that Gold or Basic members. I don't know exactly what the UBB Software is, something to do with Gold membership? Another trick you might use is to change the filename to fool the software. If that didn't work, open the photo with an art program and add a tiny black dot and resave. But the 'Properties' method is probably better and easier:

The bandwidth/file transfer issue...in general it's bad ettiquette to simply copy the location of someone's pic and display it elsewhere, because it eats up their bandwidth/file-transfer limit. That said, I do it myself from time to time - on a permanent web-page i tend not to, but in the forum i often will (esp. Ebay things).

In terms of something already posted in the forum, it will use up the same amount of bandwidth/file transfer space whether one reposts the link (Yvsa's 'Properties' trick) or simply directs people to the old thread, because on it's the same server. And the changing of the file name trick I mentioned would be worse for UBB because the bandwidth would remain the same, but it would eat up more of their storage space (which is why I imagine they don't allow double postings in the first place)--so Yvsa's method is actually better for them.

B.

Back