Off topic - what's up in your world today?

What's up in my world, is lots of changes and growth and high hopes for the year to come. And as always, a profound sense of gratitude. In this day and age, it's pretty damn remarkable that regular folks are willing to support independent makers like me, who are trying to carve their own path.

Thank you all very much for your interest and support... I certainly couldn't do it without you.

2015 will bring exciting new THK projects to the fore. But my dedication to making kick-ass knives and having lots of fun along the way won't change one bit! :D

Been quiet around here, yesterday with the weather being mild and cold weather coming in a couple of days I changed the oil, lubed the truck and topped up the gas. Puttered around for the afternoon while the roast chicken was cooking. Today is easygoing, and will see visitors later. Next year will have to take it as it comes, my surgeon wants to take a close look at me and I'm preparing for possibly more surgery. Taking it one day at a time.

Currently spending more time than I expected in the tent waiting out the rain. I'm just south of Chattanooga on a two week climbing trip. Unfortunately the weather has not been cooperating. Still, I've been enjoying the occasional sunny days.

We recently had a chance to use a Terrio kitchen knife (vik was generous enough to let us borrow his for a couple of months). Christine and I were very impressed. Will likely place an order in the new year.

James, you really nailed it with that knife.

If anyone is looking for an incredibly functional kitchen blade that performs better than many more popular kitchen knives (that often cost significantly more) should order a knife from James.

Seriously, that chef's knife is almost perfect. Can you tell we were impressed!

I'm glad you guys liked it! There are more almost ready, except in AEB-L @ 60Rc instead of CPM-154 @ 58Rc, and there will be a couple minor tweaks made in the next batch... ;)

Kitchen knives are just fascinating to me - they seem so simple at first glance, but nope... they're not really "simple" at all.

and on that note - guess what showed up in the mail today? :D

Still in one piece after half-a-dozen people testing it and traveling all over North America? You should get Frequent Flyer miles for being so patient; that thing has more miles on it than Santa's sleigh... :p

still cuts nice, though.

That's all that really matters :)

Again, thanks for your support and encouragement, ladies and gentlemen. I truly love my job, and your feedback is a big reason why it's so much fun.

Still in one piece after half-a-dozen people testing it and traveling all over North America? You should get Frequent Flyer miles for being so patient; that thing has more miles on it than Santa's sleigh... :p

It needs a passport now that it has crossed international borders!

Please think a kind thought for a Pirate friend of mine/ours who lost someone very close to him this morning. :( Things are going to be a bit rough for him, for a while. It's kinda just the natural way of things, but it still sucks.

Thanks, guys and gals.

pirate-flag-half-staff.jpg

Carry on, though! The best we can do to honor life, is to continue to appreciate and enjoy life, and move forward with strength and love. :thumbup:

Recently, Angie and I have visited Ijams Nature Center in Knoxville twice for our weekly hike and excuse to get out of the house/get away from work/relax and get some fresh air. We've not even seen half of it yet...

It's a fantastic free facility with many miles of trails wandering over a couple hundred acres. It's easy to get to, and offers plenty of free parking. There are restrooms and a couple port-a-potties scattered around. It even has a two charging stations for electric vehicles. (one of which is visible in the turkey buzzard pic below)

Some of the trails run right along the Tennessee River, some of them meander through beautiful woodlands (trails range from easy to quite difficult), and some showcase homestead sites that date back at least a century. Most trails are for foot-traffic only, but some welcome bicycles as well.

They also feature a very nice museum/education center, some really cool sculptures, several picnic areas, and a very family/pet friendly atmosphere. (dogs must be on leashes... children are encouraged to run free :D). Half the fun of going there is people/dog-watching, but it's large enough and spread out enough that even when lots of folks are there, it doesn't feel crowded. If you're ever in the area, I happily recommend spending at least a couple hours there. :thumbup:

They care for two gorgeous local birds that were rescued/rehabbed after being injured, and are housed there for educational purposes:

Turkey Buzzard:
tumblr_nj3a2wtauy1t96dyxo1_1280.jpg

Red-tailed Hawk:

tumblr_nj3a0g01Y41t96dyxo1_1280.jpg

Yours truly near a rather large beech tree, near the trail to the Secret Pond:

tumblr_nj36zfbU4U1t96dyxo1_1280.jpg

(all pics in this post taken by Angie Terrio; feel free to share them with your friends.)

Last edited:
it was supposed to be delivered here!
early in the week our forecast called for 3 days of snow.
now it's 12 hours of freezing rain. :(

We got another inch or two of snow overnight. It's warming up slowly, and supposed to rain later, so that should help clear it away.

Now if it dips below freezing again tonight, and it probably will, that's gonna be a mess... everything will be sheeted over with a thin layer of glare ice again.

Knoxville has a very small budget for ice/snow removal, because it just doesn't happen very often. As opposed to towns in WI where I grew up, that set aside millions of dollars for salt and sand and plows and people to operate them every year, because awful winter weather is guaranteed to happen for months at a time. So an inch of snow here is like a foot of snow in the Midwest or Northeast, in terms of how badly it fouls everything up, simply because no one's prepared to deal with it.

Back