Official 2018 BF Knife: Poll 5/8: Handle Materials

Choose Handle Material Grouping (comment color/type)

• Group 1: Micarta, G10 | $

Votes: 53 17.7%
  • Group 2: Delrin, Paperstone | $

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Group 3: Diamondwood | $

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Group 4: Carbon Fiber | $$

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Group 5: Buffalo, Elk | $$

Votes: 59 19.7%
  • Group 6: Stag, Ram Horn | $$

Votes: 44 14.7%
  • Group 7: Snakewood, KOA | $$

Votes: 26 8.7%
  • Group 8: Burl, Ironwood | $$

Votes: 89 29.8%
  • Group 9: Shell, Mother of Pearl | $$$

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Group 10: Jigged Bone | $$

Votes: 11 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted "Burl, Ironwood" but that is really a vote for Ironwood Burl.
A quality ivory substitute (Warthog tusk?) would be awesome as well.
Stag would be nice, but the quality of it lately has been terrible. Too risky.
Well figured Rams Horn would also be acceptable, and smooth Buffalo as well.

I went with group 8. Ultimately would like to see buckeye burl win out at this time. Guess I'm leaning more to wood on this knife but not for the bocote. It is obviously very generous of our member to donate it and I'm sure that it would be beautiful but as others have voiced I believe this knife to be too similar to a previous one and I for one would like to see it stand on its own as time passes as being unique to that year. If not wood then I would go with jigged bone. Not the symmetrical jigging that we see from GEC alot and from Case but the old style jigging that is very random, deep and gnarly. I guess Rogers type bone is what I'm trying to describe. Something that looks like this old Robeson. But as others have said I'll buy whatever it ends up to be and I greatly appreciate SK blades for coming over and putting together a very entertaining polling process. I know I have enjoyed it. IMG_3778.PNG

I haven't changed my vote yet, but if the elk is smooth instead of barky, I'd totally be on board with that. I'm also a sucker for blond ram's horn, and that green paperstone appeals to me, too, although I don't guess we could count on that being the final color. For wood, I'd be more in favor of snakewood or koa than burl or ironwood, although I still think wood grain patterns are an unpredictable wildcard when it comes to symmetry. My first choice is still an interesting textured micarta (sorry r8shell :p).

I'm still interested in the Bocote but I have changed my vote to Group 2 that Paperstone sample makes me more interested in it.

The only thing with Elk is more often than not your going to get scales that aren't symmetrical at all and very little bark. Also hairline cracks are considered normal. That's just the nature of the beast. Only posting this for those that may not know so not to be disappointed.
IGuTZLt.jpg

dFbkxbq.jpg

dzPuFb8.jpg

Last edited:
I voted for Burl,Ironwood although Bucks smooth Buffalo looks really good as well . A much easier material to work with than Elk.

If you think getting decent stag and horn is difficult, then you really don't want elk. The beautiful elk pieces shown around here from GEC, with dramatic coloration, fissures, and other character marks are extremely rare. What we would likely end up with will be pasty gray/white, with slightly darker gray/white in the very middle, with very little texture of any kind.

I'll be happy with pretty much any of the natural materials, and probably any (or at least most) of the synthetics.
My first choice of the naturals would be Buffalo Horn or Rams Horn.
Second choice is wood (not snakewood, please. I have a rather severe life long phobia about snakes ... real or otherwise.)
If Buck can use the Bocote that has been offered, that would become my number one choice.
For the synthetics ... I'd have to see them before I could decide.

I'm leaving my vote for Stag/Rams Horn for now. My preference would be 1=Rams Horn, 2=Ironwood, 3=Pearl

Okay, given the potential issues with consistency in elk, you all have convinced me to switch my vote to buckeye burl.

Voted for micarta (for now). I definitely prefer something more predictable when buying sight unseen. I really don't care for handles that are of inconsistent thickness, as many examples of stag and elk look to be (and that I've seen in person).

Top choices would be burlap micarta, jigged bone, smooth bone, or wood.

As much as I'd like to see jigged bone I don't see it getting picked. I'm really hoping we don't end up with stag or elk. I rarely see examples that flip my switch. Elk looks chalky to me.

So, between wood and micarta, I'm going wood. Really liking some of the burl I've seen although ironwood, ebony or OSAGE would all be fine with me.

Buffalo-Elk- or Burl if wood is selected. Bocote, Ironwood & Cocobolo has been used rather extensively, let's have some variety

I voted for the micarta version. As mentioned above and in earlier threads the natural handle materials can be very inconsistent. I guess I prefer symmetry and like to receive a predictable product. I would be OK with a smooth or jigged bone, but not elk or stag. Even some of the exotic woods can run the gambit of visual beauty. Also the more exotic choices add to the cost which may eventually impact the product being produced once we have to cough up the cash.

Can I as the typical forum knife costs in the past? I have never participated before.

,,,Mike in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back