Official 2018 BF Knife: Poll 5/8: Handle Materials

Choose Handle Material Grouping (comment color/type)

• Group 1: Micarta, G10 | $

Votes: 53 17.7%
  • Group 2: Delrin, Paperstone | $

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Group 3: Diamondwood | $

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Group 4: Carbon Fiber | $$

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Group 5: Buffalo, Elk | $$

Votes: 59 19.7%
  • Group 6: Stag, Ram Horn | $$

Votes: 44 14.7%
  • Group 7: Snakewood, KOA | $$

Votes: 26 8.7%
  • Group 8: Burl, Ironwood | $$

Votes: 89 29.8%
  • Group 9: Shell, Mother of Pearl | $$$

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Group 10: Jigged Bone | $$

Votes: 11 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for the micarta version. As mentioned above and in earlier threads the natural handle materials can be very inconsistent. I guess I prefer symmetry and like to receive a predictable product. I would be OK with a smooth or jigged bone, but not elk or stag. Even some of the exotic woods can run the gambit of visual beauty. Also the more exotic choices add to the cost which may eventually impact the product being produced once we have to cough up the cash.

Can I as the typical forum knife costs in the past? I have never participated before.

,,,Mike in Canada

One of the guidelines for the forum knife is to try to keep the cost of the knife down under $100. Because of the number of options we are juggling on this knife, I expect us to get right about at that number this year.

Just a thought, but should there be a quick poll for Bocote vs "anything other than Bocote" before a new full poll?

Bocote is awesome, and it's so cool to have a generous member offer it for the handles. It's meaningful and will make a beautiful knife.

Some folks have expressed concern though that putting Bocote on a knife that is already similar to the prior BF knife will be going too far. This is a valid point.

I see both sides for sure, but could see the poll swaying to Bocote (which I'm fine with) because all of the non-bocote votes will be split among the other options available.

I'm probably overthinking this, and don't want to make more work for anybody, but just thought I'd throw it out there since the poll is getting a makeover anyway. Perhaps there's a better way to do it all in one poll.

It does appear some options can already be counted out.

I think we might be seeing the effects of having way too many options to choose from. Hindsight might tell us that it would have perhaps been better to do the cover material polling in stages.
  • First round - Divide materials by type (synthetic, wood, horn/antler, bone)
  • Second round - List and vote on choices within specific type chosen in first round. (e.g. Elk, Sambar, Ram's Horn, Buffalo, etc.) (e.g. Micarta, G10, Carbon Fiber, Delrin, etc.) (e.g. Ebony, Ironwood, Bocote, Zebrawood, etc.)
This isn't a critique by any means, just an observation. When face with so many choices, the results can often be convoluted and exasperating.

For me, the highest on my list would be Ironwood. If we go for the Bocote option (thank you @Dopic1 ), that would be fine with me. Also any other stable, incredibly hard wood that dulls tools :eek::p:D would be great as well.

Behind the wood choices (for now!) I'm liking the antler choices, followed by bone, then the horn choices.

Any synthetic would be last choice for me...but I would most likely be on board if that's the winner.

I voted for the micarta version. As mentioned above and in earlier threads the natural handle materials can be very inconsistent. I guess I prefer symmetry and like to receive a predictable product. I would be OK with a smooth or jigged bone, but not elk or stag. Even some of the exotic woods can run the gambit of visual beauty. Also the more exotic choices add to the cost which may eventually impact the product being produced once we have to cough up the cash.

Can I as the typical forum knife costs in the past? I have never participated before.

,,,Mike in Canada
We've tried to keep the price at 100.00 or less.

I think we might be seeing the effects of having way too many options to choose from. Hindsight might tell us that it would have perhaps been better to do the cover material polling in stages.
  • First round - Divide materials by type (synthetic, wood, horn/antler, bone)
  • Second round - List and vote on choices within specific type chosen in first round. (e.g. Elk, Sambar, Ram's Horn, Buffalo, etc.) (e.g. Micarta, G10, Carbon Fiber, Delrin, etc.) (e.g. Ebony, Ironwood, Bocote, Zebrawood, etc.)
This isn't a critique by any means, just an observation. When face with so many choices, the results can often be convoluted and exasperating.
I like this idea.

Though I think I'd prefer three simultaneous polls where folks vote for their favorite wood in one poll, favorite synthetic in another, and favorite animal parts in another.

Then pit the three winners (or even top 2 from each) against each other in a no holds barred, battle Royale, final poll.

This is just brainstorming though, and certainly not a request. I'm very happy with how things are going so far with the process.

Last edited:
I like this idea.

Though I think I'd prefer three simultaneous polls where folks vote for their favorite wood in one poll, favorite synthetic in another, and favorite animal parts in another.

Then pit the three winners against each other in a no holds barred, battle Royale, final poll.

This is just brainstorming though, and certainly not a request. I'm very happy with how things are going so far with the process.

When I created the poll, I did it according to price rather than according to type. The reason for this is that everyone is constantly asking for price. So we did price, and now we want type. If I did type, we would want price. I still haven't figured out how to do the "do over" perfectly. Right now I think I'm going to watch a while longer, and then take the leaders out of the comments and voting. Clearly, we need to whittle the list down from its current state. I would bet it is safe to rule out Diamondwood, CF, shell and mother of pearl. I don't know if we can back track to the larger groupings (synthetic, wood, etc.)

I really like the idea of having the next round be the Battle Royale. Animal vs. Wood vs. Synthetics. I think you have a winner with that!

Though this poll is not set up perfectly, I do believe we are getting the data we need to refine it for the next rounds.

Last edited:
I'm excited about this knife and wish we could be done and get it ordered. I do understand why it's to take so long...it will be done right and most/many people will be pleased.

I voted for ram's horn and know it can be like stag and elk in that you don't know what you are getting in so far as thickness, color, and texture. Depending on how the poll is changed I might change my vote, close, in second place would be the Bocote. In all honesty, I'm good with any of the choices.

Thanks again, Stephen, you are making this an interesting and enjoyable process. Preston

When I created the poll, I did it according to price rather than according to type. The reason for this is that everyone is constantly asking for price. So we did price, and now we want type. If I did type, we would want price. I still haven't figured out how to do the "do over" perfectly. Right now I think I'm going to watch a while longer, and then take the leaders out of the comments and voting. Clearly, we need to whittle the list down from it's current state. I would bet it is safe to rule out Diamondwood, CF, shell and mother of pearl. I don't know if we can back track to the larger groupings (synthetic, wood, etc.)

I really like the idea of having the next round be the Battle Royale. Animal vs. Wood vs. Synthetics. I think you have a winner with that!

Though this poll is not set up perfectly, I do believe we are getting the data we need to refine it for the next rounds.

I do not disagree with your assessment at all and I certainly do not envy the position you are in. Creating a series of polls and hoping to keep everyone happy and on topic is quite a monolithic task.

I understand that price is a concern for some but since it has always been a matter of keeping the forum knife at around $100 or less (give or take a few), it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect folks to consider that figure the ballpark for which they should budget for. I think it has been widely stated that the prior options that were decided on would potentially leave some room (monetarily speaking) for some really nice handle choices.

Keep up the great work, skblades skblades , you are doing a terrific job. I will be looking forward to the "Battle Royale". Regardless of what the majority decides, I am in for at least one knife.

Your efforts are appreciated skblades skblades ! Although some of the materials are likely being boosted by being grouped with much more popular choices and some splits may gather less votes, that could all get worked out in a subsequent poll. I mistakenly thought you'd just take the winning group for the next poll. If you take the top few groups, that would certainly work itself out. The relative costs are helpful. You can put the $ or $$ or $$$ after each material and then they can be grouped however you want. I think this pull got a lot of useful info so the next poll could probably weed out several options and the remaining options could be listed individually. This is coming along nicely!

I agree with Sabercat Sabercat .

If the Bocote generously donated by Dopic1 meets with Bucks approval, and if someone would post a photograph of a representative sample for us to view, it might be best to just have a yes or no vote on the Bocote.

I understand others, including me, have different first choices, but Bocote is top notch. This particular Bocote might also have a different look than the wood used a few years ago. I find that it is rare to be disappointed with Bocote handles. It is common to get poor examples of Stag, Elk, Ram’s Horn, and even Ironwood on occasion, when you cannot select in advance. Bocote almost always looks good and fits the 301 pattern perfectly.

This is just a thought. But it would be a shame to look a gift horse in the mouth and turn down Dopic1’s generous offer if the Bocote is otherwise appropriate for handle material. This hobby is not cheap. Why not take advantage of this opportunity?

At the end of the day, there can only be one material chosen. I would imagine that most of us have Bocote listed somewhere on our short lists. The mathematical odds make it certain that the large majority of us will not see their first, or even second, choice chosen. Bocote is not my first choice, but it is a fine choice. Since we are debating a purely personal preference, why not just go with Bocote when it is being given to us free of charge?

Last edited:
skblades skblades , I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for giving us all of these options. The degree to which we are getting the opportunity to quibble and debate and vote is really outstanding. I am very thankful for the amount of participation we are getting to have on this knife, and for your responsiveness even as we keep piling new "recommendations" on you.

Thank you.

The 2015 BF knife had already bocote, clip and sheepsfoot... :(
If micarta is not elected, I'll change for a premium wood, Ironwood, opportunities for this kind are rare and I have not enough wood-handled knives to have twice the same specie.

Besides, let's hope someone at Buck's reads this thread and understands that many are missing a standard yellow/ red/ blue or green delrin (with green shield) 30 series!:)

Those will go into the "Battle Royale" round 1 for the Wood poll.

I just want to say I think you are doing us a bang up job!
This is more options than I ever remember being given and fine tuning it along the way is to be expected. The time frame of 3 or so weeks to iron out this many options by way of polling is just fine IMNSHO.
There can be no questioning your honest effort to make this the best possible experience. Just keep doing what you think is best, and it all work out just fine.

I voted for elk (stag would be fine too) but if it goes wood, I'd like to see Koa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back