• Clip - Long Pull | Sheepsfoot - Nail Nick

Votes: 140 43.5%
  • Clip - Nail Nick| Sheepsfoot - Long Pull

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Clip - Nail Nick | Sheepsfoot - Nail Nick

Votes: 23 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Has Buck ever used a long pull for a secondary blade?
Long pull on a FFG Clip blade, well it would be criminal not to wouldn't it? But the Sheepsfoot?

Any examples to chicken-eye?

Has Buck ever used a long pull for a secondary blade?
Long pull on a FFG Clip blade, well it would be criminal not to wouldn't it? But the Sheepsfoot?

Any examples to chicken-eye?
I don't know. Maybe 300Bucks 300Bucks would know?

Either way, a vote for both blades with long pull will make the knife even more special. :)

I voted for a long pull on the clip and nail nick on the sheepsfoot. Does anyone have an example of a Buck sheepsfoot with a long pull? I'm having a hard time visualizing it, but it sounds odd. (I know I've seen a sheepsfoot with a long pull before – like the GEC Beer Scout – but I'm not sure about a smaller, secondary-blade-sized sheepsfoot.)

Long pulls are dirt collectors:thumbsdown:
But easy to clean due to the straight pathing. I always feel that there is some food or gunk left in my nail nicks, but I am sure when a long pull is clean.

That being said, I do not know which of the first two options I am going to go with...

Traditional for me. Long/nick. I'm fine with long/long or nick/nick, too. So why did I vote? Dunno. :)

I have never seen a long pull on a secondary blade.

A long or nic will be the voice of the people. What I like in long pulls is they are usually stamped and mostly are smooth and even rounded. What I don't like in nic's is they are usually 'cut' and unless done very well, you see grind marks in the nic and can be sized poorly. The method of blade formation also comes into play i.e. stamped or cut. I like swedges on the clip, Camillus contract Bucks had more pronounced swedges than current Buck designs. I like a medium size nic , not to high or not to low on blade face. The way the face of the blade is ground comes into play. Are you stamping a long pull in a full width flat area at the top of the blade or is your blade tapered from edge to spine. Usually a nic is required for that. Here are a couple of fancy scaled 301's (for effect) with both pulls, but both are flat ground from edge. Left is a Cami contract Buck and right is a Buck factory made knife from the mid 80's.....The knife on the right is my all time favorite 301, in 425m .... In all this talk is the beauty of design vs the utility of use. I think you can achieve both.......300

xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
On Bucks usual hollow grind there is enough material (thickness) for a long pull that would be deep enough for a long pull.
On a FFG which is what was voted for pull may not be as deep, possibly an issue for people with thicker nails.
Also a nail nick is much easier to keep free of dirt & food residue than a long pull, we wanted SS so we could cut food without
the carbon taste issue along with other reasons.

I would like to see a long pull on the clip and a nick on the sheepsfoot, but long pulls on both would be nice too!

I've seen knives made for Buck with long pulls. But I don't recall seeing any knives made by Buck with a long pull. I wonder if they would stamp it or cut the pull? I guess they'd have to cut it since they probably wouldn't have tooling if they've never done it before.

Here's an old IXL cattle knife with a long pull on the sheepfoot.

ZCozjxH.jpg

quHEtZ1.jpg

Kind of a weird choice rising to the top here. Are there a lot of secondary blades with long pulls? I can't recall seeing many and those I have seen tend to really dominate the smaller blade. I was surprise to see it as an option.

Can we get some pics or sample shots before this one gets too far gone? I feel that people are stabbing the "dual long pulls" button because it sounds cool.

I've seen knives made for Buck with long pulls. But I don't recall seeing any knives made by Buck with a long pull. I wonder if they would stamp it or cut the pull? I guess they'd have to cut it since they probably wouldn't have tooling if they've never done it before.

Here's an old IXL cattle knife with a long pull on the sheepfoot.

ZCozjxH.jpg

quHEtZ1.jpg
Well, that doesn't look too bad I suppose. As long as it's up near the spine and not in the middle. The swedge really helps establish the line.

I've mostly seen long pulls on the secondary on really old knives... as far as I can recall. Honestly any of these options would be okay for me. I'm leaning toward option 1 or 2. But since I've never seen an example from Buck so I'm not quite sure what to expect. My preference would definitely be a stamped long pull but I'm guessing they'd cut it... just guessing.

Whether nail nick or long pull, it will be machined.
CPM 154 is not a steel you can stamp. It all has to be machined or similar.

Good info Frank:thumbsup: suggests the Master blade should be long but the Minor a nick, more machining must mean more costs.

Back