Official Pen Knife Review Thread

No apologies necessary here.

How could I possibly be offended by anyone who quotes Homer Simpson and plays a Fender bass? :cool:

I;ll be sendinng the pen knife tomorrow to SkagSig (Chris).

Thanks to Pen for an opportunity to check this knife out.

Keith

Keith, I reckon if you had pics you'd of posted 'em, so maybe Chris can hook us up. If it turned out as nice as your other work you've posted I'd sure like to see that pretty thing. My Pen Knife's going to be jealous.;)

Sarge

Oh, yeah. forgot to mention that, Sarge. Got the digital pix of Pen Knife taken by my bro, Inlcuding a pic for the "Ugly mug" thread of me holding the HI Falcatta and the Pen knnife, for size comparison. You'll see the big blades fit me better.

Anyhow, should get those pics back from him by Friday, which is the day I'll be sending the Pen knife along to Chris.

I did a special 2-in-1 stage etch that always give me great details and crisp lines. It only takes 2-3 minutes, and loooks great.

Keith

WOW I can't wait! I really wish I could post pictures...I need a digital camera. One of these days, Hopefully soon I'll have one! Sounds like Keith did some cool work to the blade! Can't wait to see it! I'll let you know when it gets here and give it a little work out!!!;) :p

"Excellent...."(in my best Montgomery Burns voice...)

As soon as Keith's pics arrive, I'll post 'em.

Now, part of the deal was that no matter what condition the knife is now in - it still needs to be put-through-the-ringer, beat-to-heck, worked-hard, etc., etc. Don't baby it just cuz it's purrty...:D

Keith knew we'd beat it up and is interested in the results. So we've arranged Before/After pics. It wouldn't hurt if those with cameras could also take their own pics before sending it off...even if they are not digital - you can just mail me the pics. I'll scan 'em and post 'em.

Keep us posted, Chris!

Dan

Originally posted by SkagSig40
WOW I can't wait! I really wish I could post pictures...I need a digital camera. One of these days, Hopefully soon I'll have one! Sounds like Keith did some cool work to the blade! Can't wait to see it! I'll let you know when it gets here and give it a little work out!!!;) :p

I'll take pics and post them when the knife arives at my place.:)

Hey Chris, since we are only a state away, maybe we could meet and exchange the Pen knife?

Hey Heber, Sounld like a good idea but I don't think I'll be able to get the time to do it. I'm still trying to get time off for the convention so I hope to meet you there and the rest of the gang!!! I'll let you know how things go!;)

PK01.jpg

PK02.jpg

PK03.jpg

PK04.jpg

PK05.jpg

Puuuuuurty:D But we need a caption for that picture of Keith. Here's my suggestion; "Hmmmm, this would make a nice karda for my Falcata"

Sarge

Ferrous, I thought that was a picture of me for a second. My hair length,color and style is nearly identical to yours. I wear a beard too. Your glasses are different than mine though. Weird.

No kiddinng, Bob? I'll hafta check out yer pic on the "Post yer ugly mug" thread. I've been told I have a double or two in Indianapolis. Well, you know us white guys--we all look the same. ;)

Sarge: good caption! I do think the Pen knife would make a good heavy duty karda:)

Chris and all: Have fun putting that pup thru its paces. I'm sure the etch will hold up to all but direct sanding or grinding. It'll take buffing fine.

Pen, Thanks fer posting pix! Now, If I can just remember who wanted the armor pix...

Keith

Nice pictures. I like the Pen Knife. Looks like another khukri I have to get:D. I was looking on the HI website and saw it in the new products section. Is this a special order type of knife or is it in the regular production line? I ask because I saw that this one was a limited edition. Just curious. I like it though and want one:)

Also, I was wondering how the Pen Knife would compare to say the 12" AK. Looks like the Pen Knife might be a better chopper having more of a belly? Thanks.

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
I'm sure the etch will hold up to all but direct sanding or grinding. It'll take buffing fine.

Keith

Keith will it stand up to heavy buffing or should it be taped over if I were to add something to the Pen Knife if I'm able when it gets to me?;)

Yvsa--should be fine if you're using a fine buffing compound or a secondary stage polishing compound. The etch is about 1/10th of a mm deep. If you're polising the whole thing, it'll be fine.

You'll be able to tell quick if it'll hold up because the first thing to go will be the inner line detail. The basic geometric outline will be much harder to remove.

Hope I was able to answer that one...

Keith

Back