Official Pen Knife Review Thread

I sent it out priority last week so Heber should have it by now.
The box is still in great shape with only one small nick on one of the edges!

the box!

passaround2.gif

:D :p

Originally posted by SkagSig40
I sent it out priority last week so Heber should have it by now.
The box is still in great shape with only one small nick on one of the edges!

As of 4:00pm yesterday, the Pen knife had not arived. Will check the P.O. in a little while and see if I get lucky. BTW Most of the packages that I get from Uncle Bill take 6 to 9 days to get here.:confused:

Originally posted by shappa
Erik, I know you're anxious to play with it. The pen knife that is...;) But it goes Heber (wildmahn), Steven (im2smrt4u), then to ME...Tom (shappa) then I get to mail it to you in NM. Then Yvsa gets to play with it last before it heads home to Pendentive.

Yep, I'm going nuts waiting too.

Ah, well. :( If that's the case I may get to bring it to the Reno Khonvention. :)

No worries Heber, I took care of that nasty old Pen Knife for you.;)
It's small enough my kid brother can wear it horseback riding out in Arizona. 'Course he's kind of spoiled to the coco bolo handled bowie I made him a while back.

Sarge

Originally posted by Sylvrfalcn
No worries Heber, I took care of that nasty old Pen Knife for you.;)
It's small enough my kid brother can wear it horseback riding out in Arizona. 'Course he's kind of spoiled to the coco bolo handled bowie I made him a while back.

Sarge

Cool, sounds like the knife is heading to a good home. Hope your brother enjoys it.;)

Went to the P.O. and found the slip in my box. But the stupid window was closed so I can't get it till tomorrow.:(

I picked the Pen knife up today. Acording to the slip in my P.O. box, the knife arived Tuesday. But for some reason, I didn't get the not till yesterday afternoon.

Well here are my impressions:

Upon picking up the box I thought "that sure is a large box for such a small knife".:p The box is well built and holding up nicely. A few dings in some of the corners are all I found.

I desided to get some measurements, so here they are:

Pen Knife:
OAL: 12 1/8"
Blade (tip to bolster): 7 3/4"
Handle: (bolster to butt cap): 4 1/2"
Belly: 2"
recurve: 1 1/4"
Spine (at bolster): 3/8"
Spine (near tip): 3/16"
Balance point (infront of bolster): 1 7/8"
Tip to balance point: 5 7/8"
Butt cap to balance point: 6 1/4
Center of knife: 6 1/16"

As you can see, the balance point is just about centered. Which I think is really good. Near the tip, the edge is holow ground, but at the belly it is flat/almost convex. At first, the handle apeared to be a little small, but after holding the knife for a while I got used to it. Fits my hand nice and is rather comfortable. The handle is a little slick, but I don't think that will be a problem if I keep a good grip in it.

The scabbard is made out 1/16" brown leather, that is soft and supple. Stitching is well done and should hold up nicely. I am impressed.

Specs on the Carda:

OAL: 4 3/4"
Blade: 2 3/4"
Handle: 2"
Edge: 2 1/2"
Belly: 5/8"
Thinest spot: 1/2"
Spine 1/8"

The Carda is also well made and rather sharp. Even thought the handle is a little small, it should make a good utility knife.

While measuring the Pen Knife, I wore the scabbard to get a feal for it. Found out that I prefer to wear it strong side (Right hand side). Drawing with my right hand from the right side, seems more natural with this knife/scabbard than cross draw.

Over all, I am very please with the knife and scabbard. Pen, you did a good job desinging it.:) Am looking forward to testing it out in the next few days. Thats all for now.

WOW nice review Heber! Let us know what you think of it's chopping performence.

P.S. I'm glad she got to you safely, had me worried for a bit!:D

Originally posted by SkagSig40
WOW nice review Heber! Let us know what you think of it's chopping performence.

P.S. I'm glad she got to you safely, had me worried for a bit!:D

Thanks Chris. I was worried for a while my self.

The Pen knife has been working great. I've only done a little chopping and it performed really well.:) The more I play with the knife (I mean, test:p) the more I like it. Can't wait to get my own.

My mom is out of town on business, so I came home to check on things and while I was there I scanned in some pics of the Pen knife. Hope you all like them.

The left side with a moon etched into it:
pen_01_mid.jpg

Right side, with a sun etching, the HI mark and makers mark:
pen_02_mid.jpg

More pics to come later;)

Heber - hope all goes well with the move.

Keep us posted.

Originally posted by pendentive
Heber - hope all goes well with the move.

Keep us posted.

Hey Dan, you have email.

BTW I like the Pen knife so much, I want to get one of my own. The balance and weight is great.:)

Hi guys, sorry about the delay. Had another doctors apointment. Have been out of town since Sunday evening and won't be back home till tonight. BTW Doc says that I'm doing a lot better and don't have to come back unless things a troubling me.:) Now, if I could just get my head on straight:footinmou:eek: The Pen Knife will go out first thing Thursday morning.

Let's see who's on the list still...

Steven (im2smrt4u), Tom (shappa), Then Erik (Tohatchi nm), finally (Yvsa).

Is that right Pen?

So far we've had some great reviews and some nice pics. Keep up the good work guys!

I plan on putting it through it's paces in a professional kitchen! It'll have a chance at trimming up filet mignon, New York strips, chopping veggies... can't hardly wait!

Don't worry Pen NO BODY touches my knives. Not even the owner/boss.

Steven (im2smrt4u), Tom (shappa), Then Erik (Tohatchi nm), finally (Yvsa). Is that right Pen?
You got it. ;)

Don't worry Pen NO BODY touches my knives. Not even the owner/boss.

If I was the worrisome type - would I have started a passaround? :D :footinmou

Send it to the torture chamber. The more beat-up and used this knife becomes, the happier I get.

Just don't forget the now-worn-out 3-4 day test time rule...:rolleyes:

My kid brother out in Tucson absolutely loves the Pen Knife I got for him, and for a lot of the same reasons I love mine. It'll cut and slice like a good butcher knife, and chop like a good hatchet. Definitely a useful khukuri for hunters, hikers, and campers. Augmented by a pair of my homemade kardas, it handily replaces my former belt knife/tomahawk combo, and disappears into a daypack until it's needed.:D

Sarge

Back