Official sign up list for short 17"- 18" Foxy Folly.

The silhouette is certainly close to this AC bhojpure (16.75" 1lb 6oz 3/8" width @ ricasso to shoulder). Even more than the AC lango pata these models just "feel" more like fighters in my opinion.
compare.jpg

I'm not sure what the original weighs and dont have a scale to weigh it on but its a whole lot heavier than what I intended. The model was thin and would have been a real serious draw in a scrap with ole al queda. If you can just prevail on the kamis to stop making everything the same thickness as the darn truck springs that they make em out of. Also it would have nice if they would have put a small handle on it like the 19th century types

Foxy

Yvsa said:
Fox, what does the original khuk you used for the model weigh? The FF is still my favorite heavy khuk and is the reason I have commited my Super Salyan and GRS to another Cantinanista.:D
I no longer have any use for them.:D

And I'm praying these come out right. With the requirements we've set forth hopefully things will be done right!!!!:eek: :D

:( :( :(

Unfortunately, due to some unexpected expenses, I'm going to have to pass on this one. Can you take my name off the list, Yvsa?

This hurts.

Chris

Yvsa, will they be "all size fits all"? Respecting other people demands, small handles feel awkward to me...

samoand said:
Yvsa, will they be "all size fits all"? Respecting other people demands, small handles feel awkward to me...
Samoand I really have no idea. But I am reasonably sure the handles will be smaller than what's found on the average HI khuk. The first FFs have a handle that's about 4-1/2" and it fits me just fine. IIRC Nasty was alright with it as well and his hand is quite a bit larger than mine.
I'll probably specify that the handle be the same length as the original just to be on the safe side.
The old Nepalese khuk's that Atlanta Cutlery bought from Nepal all have handles that are shorter then HI's and they fit me alright as well.
Admitedly there isn't any left over but there is plenty to hang onto and the old handles lock into one's hand.
The one on my Bhojpure is 3-7/8" long and is a little short for Nasty.

Handles are an interesting issue...for me, *choppers* need to have beefier slabs to both prevent calluses (I'm a tender sort of guy;)) and deliver power but *fighters* work better with the old size/style grips. The ones Yvsa is talking about are the minimum size in this respect. You may find the same thing if you go through the ones you have and are satisfied with. I think it has something to do with delivering power vs control.

Perhaps our certified expert Danny could weigh in and give thoughts on that?

Yvsa... What thickness do you reckon the spine will need to be to meet the targeted weight? Looking at the geometry, I bet it'll be nice and lively in the hand, but able to do some nice chopping too. :D

For me the handles on the last run were to small. It was the only khurk that I have handled that hurt my hand when I used it. Perhaps it would not be as big of a problem if it came in at the new lighter weight but the 3.5 pound version needed a bigger handle. I love the blade shape but one reason I am sitting this order out is the fact that I am worried about the handles. Good luck guys I hope that this goes through as planned. :)

You're welcome for the Browning, Yvsa. The AK you redid is working just fine. The edge is holding.

I wanted to make an aside comment here. You guys have been discussing weight and length. Remember one thing; when the weight goes down, length becomes even more important. Two inches doesn't sound like much but a Foxy Folly of 17" to 18" is going to outchop one of 16". The extra leverage becomes vital.

It seems you want this practical and carryable- so I thought I'd tell you. 17" 18" inches is OK for carry, but I do notice 19" is starting to get in the way. This is all just my opinion. I haven't cut through a rain forest lately on my way to Ragoon.

munk

Nasty said:
Handles are an interesting issue...for me, *choppers* need to have beefier slabs to both prevent calluses (I'm a tender sort of guy;)) and deliver power but *fighters* work better with the old size/style grips. The ones Yvsa is talking about are the minimum size in this respect. You may find the same thing if you go through the ones you have and are satisfied with. I think it has something to do with delivering power vs control.

Perhaps our certified expert Danny could weigh in and give thoughts on that?

For me it's kind of the opposite. The bigger handle for me shifts the weight kind of farther back, where a shorter more curved handle (and smaller diam) tends to accentuate the front end heavy chopping aspect.

The big fat handles with narrow butts tend to wear blisters on me more than the shorter thinner handles with the more flared butt caps. On the shorter ones I can hold them more loosely and use the butt as a pivot and it gives less wear and tear on my hands. Course maybe I have smaller hands than most.

hollowdweller said:
For me it's kind of the opposite. Course maybe I have smaller hands than most.

Ah-ha! I've got hams...maybe we have learned something here?

Small hands = Small grip chopper but big grip fighter
Large hands = big grip chopper but small grip fighter

What say ye wise Cantinistans?

You realize someone has to say this? I disagree.
I've tried making hard and fast rules about pistol and khuk grips and I've come up short. Too many times an individual rendition makes it's own rules.

munk

munk said:
You realize someone has to say this? I disagree.
I've tried making hard and fast rules about pistol and khuk grips and I've come up short. Too many times an individual rendition makes it's own rules.

munk

;) :D You are probably right too

Drdan said:
Yvsa... What thickness do you reckon the spine will need to be to meet the targeted weight? Looking at the geometry, I bet it'll be nice and lively in the hand, but able to do some nice chopping too. :D
Dan, don't have a clue. I'm going to specify a 17" oal with a 4-1/2 handle with a weight from 24 to 28 ounces along with the rest of our requirements.
That should insure that we get the weight we want with a decent spine and fuller thickness.:D
Hopefully they will turn out as nice as the YCS as ordered has!:D The kamis have really impressed me with the new YCS order and proves they can do the work like we want it if the price is right and that they won't get paid if it isn't.;) Hopefully the FF Special Order will be as you say, "I bet it'll be nice and lively in the hand, but able to do some nice chopping too." at least I'm hoping for that as those qualifications are my primary goal for it.:D
It would be interesting to know what the special order YCSs weigh wouldn't it?;)

Not to be mean or a smartass but those who don't like the smaller handles maybe shouldn't get in on this special run of the Foxy Follys.:)
The short handles on most of the old antique khuks work for me with my average sized hand.
As has been stated Nasty found the 4-1/2" handle on the standard size FF okay even with his ham sized hand and I think they should work for most of the rest of us.
Terry Sisco also has a large hand and finds many of the antique handles comfortable as well and also prefers a handle that fits the hand instead of having all the extra length.
The YCS has a shorter handle than most HI khuk's as well and it seems most everyone is happy with them.
Personally I hate the longer handles as I think they're unecessary and detract from the looks of what a khukuri should appear as.
I don't like the cho creep and the so-called habaki bolster for the same reason. The handle length on the HI Khukuri's seems to have advanced like the cho creep and the habaki bolsters.:rolleyes: :(
I don't like the extremely, extremely, long handles found on some Bowies either for the same reasons.
However some of the Bowie's long handles serve a purpose for balance, sorta like a pommel on a sword,;) and are necessary.
The Cherokee Rose handle is about as long as is needed on a Bowie and was made especially for the option of choking up or holding further back for chopping with the blade heavier than when choked up for closer work.
The Khukuri was made for chopping and is designed to be weight forward.
One doesn't need the longer handle for that on a khukuri.
If you want a knife for slicing then you need something else IMO, even though some khukuris work better at slicing than others.

Something else I like on the pic of the old one here and to a lesser extent the FF is how the handle tapers back from the bolster, becoming lesser diameter. I find this style 300% more comfortable than the ones that come off the bolster, then swell and stay the same diameter all the way back to the rings. The non tapering kind cramp my hand more where the tapering ones are sooo comfortable!

munk - I have to disagree with your disagreeing...don't know why, but I just have to. Besides, as Bruise says, it increments my post count.

Back