1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Official SURVIVE! picture thread

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by Silver Needle, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Benson X

Benson X Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Got some heavy use out of my 10 this weekend. It outperformed my Junglas and Bundok by quite a bit. I love this blade!!!!

Now I just need to figure out how to get on the list for GSO-12 and GSO-5.1! :D
    [​IMG]

2. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    so much awesome :cool: Thanks for sharing that pic :thumbsup:

Benson X likes this.
  3. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    @Benson X awesome pic! Is that instagramified with a cool filter? I don't want to fill up the pic thread with too much talking, so of you're so inclined I'd love to see you start a new thread to talk about your experiences with these 3 knives :thumbsup:

4. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    The 10 bite you?

5. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Ha I was thinking the same thing

6. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    The only blade with blood on it is the one with a choil.......... hmmm........ :rolleyes:

@Benson X We're just tossing out commentary from the peanut gallery, so whatever the red stuff is and whatever the reason, it's all good :thumbsup:

Benson X likes this.
  7. Benson X

Mar 1, 2016
    Thanks - maybe I will do that when I have some free time. It's a cell phone pic, and I added a "pop" filter to give it some contrast and pseudo-HDR boost. (using stock 'Photos' app)

Long story short - just bought a new house with a ton of "potential" (things for me to fix :)). We took down (3) 15"+ Doug Firs and a 12"+ Silver Pine, and I used these 3 choppers exclusively to de-limb them. From little 1/2" branches to 8" thick limbs, the GSO10 continuously powered through it all. Four trees worth of limbs and branches processed.

The Junglas was a close second as far as blade performance, but I think the larger spine above the grind on the GSO10 and the perfectly contoured handle and finger grooves made it easier and less fatiguing to get a solid and accurate chop (almost) every time. I still love the Junglas for other camp/bushwacking chores, but I was surprised it wasn't consecutively getting as many deep cuts as the GSO10. Even more surprising still, the GSO10 is almost 4oz lighter than the Junglas, but (to me) it felt heftier due to the well-balanced proportioning of the blade and handles.

Sadly, the BK20 was not as impressive as the others. The straight tang and hollow handles made it hard to get a solid, penetrating chop unless the wood was perfectly positioned. The sweet spot on that blade is right at the meatiest part of the belly. More than once I experienced what I can only describe as a "hollow hit" - if I would chop too far down on the blade, most of the shock impact would transfer right to my hand/wrist and result in the blade deflecting of the wood rather than chopping into it. I think I will be getting some thicker canvas micarta scales to improve the handling/comfort and see if that makes the Bundok perform any better; otherwise it will be sold and I'll stick with my trusty BK9 and BK10.

I'd LOVE to get my hands on some other big choppers to test out: CPK Light Chopper, DT Grizzly, GSO-12 etc.

HA! Yup - at least that's what I assumed happened. I didn't even notice at first, until the micarta started getting a little sticky. I think I got too hasty grabbing it from the stump in between cleanup and chopping - I got a nice little gash on my left index finger. I know I should have been wearing gloves, but gloves don't build calluses and calluses make stronger hands! :D

Hey now - I love that choil! :)

I don't fall into any one camp - some of my blades have thumb ramps, some have choils, some have jimping, some have ferro notches, some are completely nekkid. I try not to discriminate when it comes to knives ;)

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  8. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    @Benson X epic reply. I don't want to clog up these beautiful pics with my dumb questions about your big choppers, so I'm going to quote you in the "other knives we like" thread. See you there!

Benson X likes this.
  9. Benson X

Mar 1, 2016
    Fair enough - here's another pic to keep this thread moving. I also have a 4.7 Ugly Betty in CFV on the way, so I hope to be adding more soon :)
    [​IMG]

10. ni1s

ni1s

Feb 10, 2014
    The current family shot :)

IMG_3771.JPG

11. Benson X

Mar 1, 2016
    My S!K family grew a little bigger yesterday! :D
    [​IMG]

GSO-4.7, CruForge V, Ugly Betty
    (but it looks flawless to my eyes). Thanks again @Revolverrodger! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GSO-5.1, old spec, CPM-3v, Black DLC coating
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I may have also pulled the trigger on a 7/7 Factory 2nd as well. I've added it to a cart multiple times since they became available, but a few beers persuaded me to submit the order last night. :cool:

12. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    @Benson X dude, those colors and contrast are looking so good. FDE with black is one of my favorite things :thumbsup:

Benson X likes this.
  13. Benson X

Mar 1, 2016
    I love both of 'em. The S!K bug bit me good. I just hope I don't get the CPK flu that's going around, too! :D

I'm still on the hunt for a Black/Black new spec 5.1. Those contoured scales are the cat's pajamas! :)

grogimus likes this.
  14. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Have fun with that 4.7
    It's a good one

Benson X likes this.
  15. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    I can think of waaaaaaay worse things than those 2 afflictions you mentioned. You have good taste!

Benson X likes this.
  16. CataD

CataD Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Yeah, agree.. like you could have those 2 and like Busse's as well :(

Cheers,
    C.

grogimus, Hard Knocks and Benson X like this.
  17. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    Add in some Fiddleback's and Adventure Sworn.

kingdmx3 likes this.
  18. Joecleo86

Joecleo86 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Well im trying to post up some pics but cant seem to get them to work off photobucket

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    kingdmx3 likes this.
  19. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    What type of device are you using right now? I used Photobucket on my android phone without major issues. Maybe I can help?

20. Joecleo86

Joecleo86 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 1, 2017
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] Everytime i try to post it i either just get a link or a broken image icon. I just downloaded tapatalk to see if i could post them from there but it seems like i have the same options. im using a samsung galaxy s7

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017