Oh Golly.... What A Weekend...!!

98 hours...:confused:

I guess since I'm getting paid $0/hr for this, I can use as much time as I want and the price will stay the same...:eek: :D

:rolleyes:

I put a full convex edge (ok, mostly convex edge) on the AK Bowie in about 30 minutes - and that's quite a hefty blade to reprofile. I figure it probably takes other guys less time, but I like going slow.

Too bad about the WWII...that would have been a fun one to do.

I don't mind working on your new model - but what if it comes sharp already? :footinmou :rolleyes:

Dan

I'm thinkin' that the edge won't be convex. If out of the kindness of yer own heart would "convex" it for me. I would be extremely grateful. :)

I think I just need a working convex model to go by. Plus maybe watching someone sharpen or resharpen something. Or it'll show me that I need a new hobby, like collecting sticks or something. :(

Or it'll show me that I need a new hobby, like collecting sticks or something.

I'm right behind you, man. Though sticks might be too complicated for me.

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
I think I just need a working convex model to go by. Plus maybe watching someone sharpen or resharpen something. Or it'll show me that I need a new hobby, like collecting sticks or something. :(

Bro, don't ever give up!!!!:( You can "give out" all you want to as long as when you rest up you come back for more.
I worked for years to get where I am today on sharpening and even at that couldn't get my Bilton sharp without some serious reworking the geometry of its edge.:rolleyes: :grumpy:
Now the hair on my arm jumps off in fright before the edge of the little knife gets within an 1/8 of an inch.;)

Besides Bill is spot on when it comes to khuks and shaving sharp edges, you don't need them although I think they're neat to do.:p
And there's another little secret as well.:eek:
A really sharp knife that will "push cut," not "slice cut," paper and shave most, read my, arm and leg hair doesn't necessarily "feel" that sharp. The edge is so dayumed smooth there are no micro teeth to "catch" on the skin of your finger whenever you gently feel the blade.
However a lot of the time when you get any knife to this point all it needs is some careful and "proper" stropping to get that scary sharp "feeling" edge.
You can dull a knife very easily with a strop!!!!

My Bilton was to that point this morning when I put it up for awhile, however when the edge was touched against my thumbnail as if I were going to cut it, it would not slide which told me it was plenty sharp enough.
Later this afternoon after I had rested up a bit I picked up my strop and carefully stropped it several times until that "scary sharp feeling" came up on the blade.
Let me be real clear about this "feeling." It would be very unwise to slide any knife this sharp down your finger and yet done carefully it doesn't "feel" that sharp. The "sharp" feeling comes when the edge is pressed very gently across the fingertips as in a push cut.

Another good idea and one which I've told about many times is going to a flea market or second hand store and buying up some old "THIN" Carbon Steel kitchen knives to practice on.
It's 100 times easier to get an edge on a thin knife than it is a thick knife when you don't have the experience.

Just whatever you do Bruise Please don't give up on such a wonderful hobby because you're having some trouble sharpening a khuk.
They're not always the easiest knife to sharpen for amny reasons.:(

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nice antler knife and damascus blades!! Nice AK and YCS too!!

Thanks for good videos!

Thoroughly entertained with gaping jaw,
Phil

THANKS!

Originally posted by pendentive

Here's what I had in mind:

2 videos - downloadable or emailable (for the PC)

Video 1 - how to put on a convex edge.

Video 2 - sharpening a khukuri
- part a - with paper on a leather-covered dowel
- part b - with a power tool
Whatchy'all think?
Dan

fine grit sandpaper glued to a mousemat has been recomended quite a few times on this forum. . . is it a worthwhile enough process to include on a vid?

. . . though in my head i imagine its like using a belt grinder thing, but moving the blade instead?

Phil - Glad you enjoyed it.

Yvsa - there's some hard-earned advice in your words there. I'll add to that: instead of "fingertip" I'd insert the phrase "tip of fingernail" - to check smoothness of the edge.

Bruise - will do. I've already got a bunch of ideas. ;) You'll like it. :D

a_punker - Yes, I can include that in the video.

Any more requests?

Dan

Any more requests?

Can you do interpretive dance with a khukuri theme? ;)

Testing sharpness with a fingertip? It sounds potentially messy. Right now I sort of scrape the blade across a fingertip lightly. If there's a bit of dead skin powder left on the edge I figure it's ok. Dunno if that's a viable way of testing the edge but it kinda keeps my thumbs smooth and callous free. :D

I haven't given up. I could always go back to my old way of thinking... Buy a production knife, use it till it gets dull, then get a new one. Repeat as needed. :)

Scraping your fingernail works too. Try this = get a knife and run the tip of your fingernail along the edge top to bottom with very, very light pressure. If it feels rough, it's not sharp enough. Simple scratches or catches can be burnished or stropped out, while visible dings in the edge will need a stone. If you go to a stone (coarse or med.) every time you sharpen, you are doing yourself and your knives a disservice. Or perhaps you should stop dropping your knives on the concrete floor...:D

Dan

Ah... I see. Does your run the tip of the fingernail test only show edge distortions? Other than cutting a small groove in the fingernail, how can you tell what parts are sharp with this method?

Or is it only for testing for imperfections in the edge? :confused:

If it feels like glass - your sharpening job is finished. Sort of as a final check. Also helps find imperfections quicker than the "light" method - which doesn't work for guys like me with not-so-great eyesight.

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
Oops... I'm off to the hospital.

I'm kidding. I thought it was funny though. :rolleyes:

Scared me for a minute!!!! I thought you had went to sleep and dropped the knife on your finner. :rolleyes: :p :D

Quote:
"fine grit sandpaper glued to a mousemat has been recomended quite a few times on this forum"

Something that I've found useful is the yellow plastic drywall hand sander
-available at hardware store for 6 and change. I actually prefer the model that you screw onto the end of an extension pole. I picked up a couple of'em at a dollar store for about 3.00 each.

Using 6 or 800 grit in one and 2000 grit in another, they are doing ok.

Google drywall hand sander for picture.

I agree. A good sharpening video would be very useful. Problem is, the only videos out there are associated with specific products, ie. Sharpmaker, RazorEdge, etc.

I have the resources to make an "el-cheapo" home video - but couldn't possibly charge money for such a production.

Here's what I had in mind:

2 videos - downloadable or emailable (for the PC)

Video 1 - how to put on a convex edge.

Video 2 - sharpening a khukuri
- part a - with paper on a leather-covered dowel
- part b - with a power tool

Whatchy'all think?

Dan

It's not a want, I think I need something like this. And my knives deserve it after all the scratching/non-sharpening I've done to them.

Hey Dan!
A video on sharpening would be great! To say I'm terrible at it would be a gross understatement. :(

Semp --

Back