OH Trekker tip blunt?

So on my OH Trekker, the tip of the main blade is rounded and blunt. This is different from every other SAK blade I have. I was wondering if this was by design, or if the edge was incompletely ground on my knife.

So if I were to get myself a sharp point, better to extend the edge into the tip, or remove some of the spine until it reaches the edge?

Better to remove the spine, that way the edge stays thin (and your sharpening bevel stays even since the edge is a consistent thickness)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove the spine until il touches the edge. You can make it even clip point if you feel like.

Sure, but why do it at all? There are uses better served with a pointy blade, but also a few where a rounded, blunt tip is more appropriate, such as emergency EMT service, professional or situational. All I can say is, in 8 the years I have had mine, it has become my most carried and used SAK, and never has the lack of a pointy blade been an issue. If I needed to pierce something, the awl was good for that. You might consider that Vic does offer an OH Trekker version with PE blade, the same as on their other 111mm models. Best of both worlds, maybe?

So on my OH Trekker, the tip of the main blade is rounded and blunt. This is different from every other SAK blade I have. I was wondering if this was by design, or if the edge was incompletely ground on my knife.

So if I were to get myself a sharp point, better to extend the edge into the tip, or remove some of the spine until it reaches the edge?

Can you post a pic of the blade? The way I read your post, it sounds like a manufacturing mistake and you may want to send it back for a correct example.

All Victorinox 111mm model blades come with a blunted tip. Not sure about the Wenger Ranger models, I think they are also blunted.

Worked with the blunted tip for a bit longer, finally frustrated me enough. I took a file, followed by a coarse stone to the spine and made my tip pointy.

It is a OH Trekker with the PE, not combo edge type. Frankly, switching to the awl for a point wound up just causing me to always carry a second knife just for a pointy tip.

All is well, just wanted to give you guys follow up. I think it's a fine and simple diy mod.

To be clear, all 111mm OH models have the blunt tip.

The standard 111mm have the regular spear, pointy tip same as the rest.

Back